Helps Keep Shop Socket clutter to a mininum

Review by David Craig posted 1644 days ago 1807 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Helps Keep Shop Socket clutter to a mininum Helps Keep Shop Socket clutter to a mininum No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

As I probably have over-stated many times, I have a small basement shop and I will frequently look for items that can either reduce tool clutter or increase safety. I have a number of shop items that require wrenches or sockets to change settings, swap items, perform assembly, etc. When it comes to car maintenance, I love my socket set, but when I am working downstairs, I find them a bit of a pain. Sockets drop to the floor and hide themselves and they can sometimes be a danger because they are small, loose, and easily forgotten. In a moment of absentmindedness, they can be placed next to router tables, near saws, or any other type of device that could create havoc if tumbled inside or forgotten about until one turns on the equipment. Black and Decker provides a socket set alternative with their release of the Ready Wrench.

The wrench is modeled after the old Craftsman dog bone wrenches. It has multiple socket sizes on each end of the wrench that can be turned to the right size. The only real caveat to B and D’s device is that an assumption is made that both inch and mm sockets are close enough in size that slop is assumed to be acceptable. Black and Decker claims that the wrench would replace 16 of the most widely used socket sizes. This claim is based on this premise and is a little misleading. I would not replace my mechanic socket set for this and I would avoid using the wrench for very high torque bolts in which slop is detected. This said, I will elaborate a little more on what I like about the wrench.

The wrench body is hefty and the sockets well built. The construction is definitely not cheap and is warranted for life. The sockets are 6 point, so the danger of rounding a bolt or rounding the sockets is lessened by this design. I was pleased that they did not go with the 12 point. The socket heads can be rotated to 45 and 90 degree angles. For small bolts, I hold the wrench like a nut driver to keep from over torquing. The sockets are hollow and the open space between the opposite sockets are useful for most bolts to pass through to the other side. This minimizes the need for deep sockets or wrenches for long bolts. I keep it handy in the shop and I find myself using this tool quite often. I enjoy keeping my sockets inside their drawer and saving them for other mechanical tasks.

The unit retails for around 30 dollars and can be found at many stores and websites. I picked mine up for fifteen during a Black Friday sale which I felt was an exceptional deal.

David

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

Thanks for the review. I have seen these at the stores, but was unsure of the quality since it has the B&D label on it. It looks like B&D did a good job on these.

-- Charles from California

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

im sure for professional work combo tools like this are next to useless, but for us occasional hobbyists that only reach for a socket once in a great while that might be a handy addition.

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

David Craig

Thanks for the feedback. It helps give a more rounded viewpoint of a review. I agree that this would not, by any means, replace a high quality socket set. For automotive work, I am sold on the American made, lifetime warrantied sockets. I like this tool in the shop because it is convenient and performs the job without my having to yank out a socket set or a set of wrenches for machine settings, hooking up compressor parts, etc. Since I do these things quite regularly, I find sockets kind of a pain.

Thanks all for responding,

David

View ericrubash's profile

ericrubash

I’m a big fan of this tool, makes things easy for me

-- Eric Rubash, Nashville, erubash@priorityonebenefits.com

View davidroberts's profile

davidroberts

1002 posts in 2091 days

True story. I visited my Mom and Dad over the holidays and we opened presents together. Mom bought Dad one of these. Dad is an old time farmer, rancher, cow polk, retired. He’s 87. Dad looked at it twisted it around in his hand and let go a quizical “huh”. We stayed a day or two more then packed up and drove back to the Houston area. Home again, I drove up the driveway, parked, got out and started to unload the trunk. Guess what I found hidden between two duffle bags. It had a note that said, “I probably won’t use this as much as you would. Don’t tell your mother”. Cute couple.

David Craig

Funny story David. I hope you get use out of it though ;)

112002 posts in 2182 days