Great Saw with Some Setup Hassles

Review by VanLewis posted 1674 days ago 3266 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Saw with Some Setup Hassles No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

My sales rep at Laguna was great: helpful, knowledgable, willing to deal, patient with some difficult delivery demands to my very remote shop. The saw, which weighs I think about 600 lbs crated, arrived on a truck with no lift gate. First thing the driver asks is “you got a forklift?”. Uh oh. Two hours later, with no sprained backs, we had it off the truck. You can use a pair of Jorgensen bar clamps as a reverse winch! But I don’t recommend it.

Setup was a bit of a hassle. The video was clear, but the instruction manual was poorly, if entertainingly, translated from Italian, apparently by a native speaker of Japanese. But the drills and parts are very well laid-out, and it was pretty easy to figure out the bits that weren’t clearly covered in the manual. I managed to do all the assembly alone, including jockeying the massive 4.5 HP Baldor motor into place and setting the cast-iron table. Sort of a workout. I recommend two people for these parts of the job. As is usually the case these days, the machine arrived without a cable. I made a 36” 6-ga cable and plug and bolted it with a strap and self-tappers through the very-heavy steel cabinet. Keep those screws away from the tires and blade! The mobility kit installation was pretty easy, even working alone. I like this rolling kit with removeable handle. Works great. The wheels are bigger than any others in my shop, so I can roll the huge saw right over sawdust and scraps without a problem. Nice.

The test run was outstanding. Not only was the table dead flat, but the wheels were perfectly aligned [this must be a first, or maybe my experience with crappy Jet machines had lowered my expectations]. I installed one of Laguna’s own carbide-toothed resaw blades, tensioned it with the outstanding hand-wheel tensioner, and set up the fence for some rips. The fence was perfectly square right out of the box. No adjustment necessary. The guide blocks come pre-installed and were a breeze to adjust. The blade had a slightly bumpy weld, but was easy to grind flat. I cut some fir first. The motor is almost dangerously quiet, so be careful. Within a few cuts I had resawn some 1/40” veneer off a 2×12. The tall fence, wide table, and dead-steady machine made this a breeze. The motor did not perceptibly slow.

All told, a great machine. Powerful, steady, and beautifully designed and built. 5 stars.

-- Van

View VanLewis's profile

VanLewis

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

Everything I’ve ever heard about Laguna’s product engineering and quality is excellent.

Sadly, I’ve rarely heard a good word about their customer service.

But … in truth … that would be just fine with me ;-)

Sounds like you bought yourself an incredible piece of machinery that should perform well for decades to come. Congrats!

If you ever get tired of it … feel free to test out the wheels on that mobile base by rolling it up to my place, and down my stairs!!

BTW: I wanna’ see a handful of nice, clear pictures of that thing :-)

-- -- Neil

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

Great review, thanks for posting

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2038 days

I have their 14 SE for over a year and it works great. No regrets. I moved up from a Craftsman, which I just couldn’t get to cut straight, I thought it was me. Right out of the box this thing cut dead straight veneer at a 1/32”. It costs more, but now I have no frustrations and never have to think about buying another one again. And I told Laguna I needed a lift gate and a pallet jack and the trucker came ready to unload it and roll it right into my garage shop.

Have fun.

View Wade Putnam's profile

Wade Putnam

I got the same saw,(see my review), sounds like you had the delivery experience similar to mine.
My mail box is still a little cocked eyed from where the truck driver backed over it.
Once I got the missing spacer for the motor it works great.
Enjoy your new saw.

-- Wade, Nashville, www.mcgconstructs.com

112018 posts in 2211 days

Congrats on your new saw.

View Royalwoodworker's profile

Royalwoodworker

My school purchase TWO 20 inch band saws and they are the best saws I have ever used. Great engineering goes into the. They are supper smooth and well thought out. Parts and customer service can be sketchy sometimes though as far as my Laguna TS table saw goes

View ike1's profile

ike1

COngratulations on your new saw . I have heard Laguna makes an excellent saw. Enjoy !

-- bob

I use a Laguna 24” for resawing 12” -14” thick tropical hardwoods into 1/8” slabs 8-10 hrs a week for back and sides for custom guitars. I have used JET and Grizzly 18” – 20” band saws for the same work for a number of yrs with mixed results. My Laguna 24 gives me the same excellent results day in and day out. By using the the Laguna Resaw King I reduce the amount of sanding my 1/8” slabs require by 90%. Most times no sanding is required. I have had to use their tech support a couple of times when re-calibrating my feeder and found the documents lacking but the support guys really good and they really care about their customers.