Great Intro Shaper

Review by Dustin posted 01-28-2010 06:01 PM 3935 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great Intro Shaper Great Intro Shaper Great Intro Shaper Click the pictures to enlarge them

After owning these units for a few years now I think it might be a good idea to rewrite this review. Just starting into the cabinet business this machine will satisfy most of your needs. It is easily powerful enough to run shallow profiles, but when it comes to raised panel cuts you either have make sure your cutter is exceptionally sharp or you’ll have to run it through a few passes.

The fence is superior to many shapers that I have used in the past, however, getting it parallel to the miter slot requires a few knocks left or right. This only matters when I do cope cuts and hasn’t been a huge nuisance just yet. The spindle stays centered nicely, and can be set at 10k or 7k rpm. Both are great for shaper cutters but too slow in my opinion for a clean cut with a router bit. The table is a bit small, so using door arch jigs is kind of hard. The directional switch out front makes it easy as pie to change spindle spin direction.

I upgraded to a 2hp shaper from a under mounted router, so at the time the world of profiling definitely opened up to me. These units are about a grand, and they are worth it, but if you can find a used 3hp unit I would have to say that is a better route to go for the long run. I can sometimes find these units on Craigslist for about 500 bucks, so look around. Wooden fences are also a huge plus. I can drive the fence into the cutter for a gap free surface and just replace the fence as often as I want.

These days my needs are changing. I am going to switch to 1-1/4 inch spindles to reduce chatter in my cuts and to speed up the cutting process with much more powerful machines that don’t slow down under load. These little shapers will most likely stick around in my shop because I always have a use for another dedicated shaper.

Dustin

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112082 posts in 2229 days

#1 posted 01-28-2010 06:05 PM

I have one I never use ,just not enough room to pull it out and use it. You have a preety cool shop Dustin.

View dennis mitchell's profile

dennis mitchell

#2 posted 01-28-2010 08:10 PM

..so if you had Deltas they would be called TweddleDee and TweddleDumb?

#3 posted 01-28-2010 09:07 PM

thats too funny dennis but i agree

-- i wonder if obama stood in a wind storm with them big ears of his would he start spinning like a drill bit

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#4 posted 01-29-2010 01:45 AM

There’s the sanding machine in the background!

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View ZeroThreeQuarter's profile

ZeroThreeQuarter

#5 posted 01-29-2010 01:55 AM

2? hell i wish i had 1! nice shop!

-- Your mind, much like a parachute, works best when open.

#6 posted 01-29-2010 02:47 AM

you’re the reason why I got that sander Todd, it’s working out extremely well so far! Very true Dennis lol!

View Moron's profile

Moron

#7 posted 01-29-2010 03:20 PM

Is that a thickness sander I see?

What make is it?

Is it a single phase ? and how many horse power is it?

Nice shop

-- "Good artists borrow, great artists steal”…..Picasso

#8 posted 01-29-2010 05:07 PM

roman, that is a 5hp single phase Shop Fox 26” double drum sander. I just got it last month and I love it so far. It’s very powerful and can actually take off quite a bit in one pass. I think I actually like drum sanders more than wide belts after using this. Replacing paper takes a while and is a pain but other than that I like it more than the wide belt I use.

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#9 posted 01-29-2010 05:16 PM

My paper seems to last a long time.

The worst thing to do is hit pitch or sap with it. But most of the wood species I use do not pose this problem.

Good dust collection will also increase the life of the sandpaper by causing it to run clean and cooler.

Once in a while I blow the sandpaper off with compressed air to clean it. As you guessed, it can create a cloud, but that can be reduced somewhat if you shop vac as much out from under the hood as possible before using the compressed air.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana, http://americancraftsmanworkshop.com

View farmboyfd44's profile

farmboyfd44

17 posts in 1949 days

#11 posted 01-29-2010 10:52 PM

Dustin i have 2 3 hp shapers and if they went down i would be replacing them, i love them mine r mostly used 4 “V” grove paneling 2 are sooooo much faster and the old saying time is money? btw vary nice shop

-- I HAVE CUT THIS BOARD 3 TIMES AND IT STILL TOO SHORT!!!!!!!!!

#12 posted 01-30-2010 02:04 AM

There is nothing better than having two shapers, except maybe having three ;) Put some pictures up of your shop farmboyfd44!!!

View Jerry's profile

Jerry

#13 posted 01-30-2010 04:00 AM

Very nice. We run one single 3 hp grizzly shaper and we love it. It builds all of our doors. Since getting ready to move into an actual shop we will be looking to add at least one more shaper and probably 2 more shapers. I also see a lot of value in what router tables can offer so I hope to set up a few router tables in our shop. Anyway, looks like you have a real nice shop and nice set up. Have fun.

-- Jerry Nettrour, San Antonio, www.topqualitycabinets.net

View farmboyfd44's profile

farmboyfd44

17 posts in 1949 days

#14 posted 02-17-2010 08:50 AM

Dustin I am in the process of moving in to a new (to me) shop i will post the photos as i get it done

-- I HAVE CUT THIS BOARD 3 TIMES AND IT STILL TOO SHORT!!!!!!!!!

View needshave's profile

needshave

#15 posted 01-16-2013 04:25 AM

I have almost the same set up, I’m running twins as well. I have only used shaper cutters. One machine never changes, the other I change the cutters in and out. But I’m curious with the router bit set up. I’ve never tried a router bit in them, running at a slower speed how does that work for you?