Triton Service update

Review by DanW posted 01-28-2010 06:00 AM 4009 views 0 times favorited 16 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Triton Service update No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased a 3 & 1/4 hp Triton TRA001 router almost 3 years ago. The first thing I did was build a router table around it. I have used it exclusively in the table since. a week ago I noticed that I had somehow cracked the lower casing in the area of the collet pin. I called the toll free number and explained what I had. The lady (I don’t recall her name, I wish I did) was professional & friendly. I explained that I didn’t have my sales receipt but, I had the date of manufacture & serial number off the router. She didn’t quiz me about the date of purchase or give me any excuses as to why she wouldn’t be able to help me. She said that they would have to replace it for me. Unfortunately, they are out of stock until March or April, not her fault but, she asked if she could call me back after checking on stock. Within 2 hours of my call, she called me back. Because I have a first generation of the 3 & 1/4 Triton she would either send me a new version when they came in or, she had a replacement housing for my current router. Because I needed my router and didn’t want to wait I chose the replacement housing. Within 5 days (week end included) I had the new housing. I was able to swap it out in about 30 minutes and it’s back to running i the table. In an age where everyone want’s to point fingers and shed the blame, Triton steps up and does the right thing. They are quality routers and their support does just that, support what they sell. If my Triton ever fails, I won’t fail to buy another one. I just thought, my experiences with them would be of interest.

-- "Let he who does not work in wood, find something else that's half as good." (can't remember who I'm quoting)

View DanW's profile

DanW

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1926 days

#1 posted 01-28-2010 06:07 AM

Great to hear…I will certainly keep them in mind when I consider another router….

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

112096 posts in 2233 days

#2 posted 01-28-2010 06:13 AM

thanks Dan

View Mark Shymanski's profile

Mark Shymanski

#3 posted 01-28-2010 06:15 AM

That is great to hear, thanks for posting this. I have been worried about their customer service having heard that they’t been sold…glad to hear they still service what they sell.

-- "Checking for square? What madness is this! The cabinet is square because I will it to be so!" Jeremy Greiner LJ Topic#20953 2011 Feb 2

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#4 posted 01-28-2010 06:27 AM

good to know. I just bought their newer version of this router, and so far I am VERY thrilled with it’s features and capability. I also contacted HTC (current distributer in the US for Triton) regarding registering the unit for warranty, and they simply said – no registration required, just keep the receipt and you’re good to go.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View bern92's profile

bern92

71 posts in 2010 days

#5 posted 01-28-2010 05:32 PM

For those of you who live in Quebec, Canada they are in sale at RenoDepot a 3 ¼ at $139 CND…....pretty good deal….Now with Danw review i’m running to buy one….........

View jackass's profile

jackass

#6 posted 01-29-2010 04:47 AM

Great recommendation for Triton, I have had similar experiences with Lee Valley, Princess Auto and Busy Bee. Good to deal with where the service is, The Tool Store.ca is another one, ordered a tool and had it in 3 days.
Jack

-- Jack Keefe Shediac NB Canada

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2059 days

#7 posted 01-29-2010 05:35 AM

Great experience. I’ve never owned a Triton, but I’m going to remember this.

#8 posted 01-29-2010 10:44 PM

I don’t own a Triton but have been considering one. I wish that I could get a router that was truly designed to be mounted in a table. My 3 1/4 HP PC has the fan on the bottom and wood chips fall into it all of the time. I believe the triton has small slots on the underside which would reduce this possibility.

View DanW's profile

DanW

#9 posted 01-29-2010 11:47 PM

The Triton has a plastic shield just below the fan (when inverted in a table) that completely covers the armature. When I took mine apart to install the new housing, I was amazed at the very minute amount of saw dust that was inside. I gave it a shot of compressed air and got next to nothing out of the armature. I’ve been using this router in a table since the day I bought it (almost 3 years) and have run a lot of lumber across it. The new 3 & 1/4 hp model has the ability to be raised and lowered using a crank that is inserted from above the table, making it ideal for table use.

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1948 days

#10 posted 01-31-2010 05:32 AM

I had the worm drive go on my Triton router and I called them just after they’d been acquired (by HTC… the people who make mobile tool bases etc.).

I had a GREAT experience dealing with them and they shipped out the parts without charge. Highly recommended…

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

#11 posted 01-31-2010 05:54 AM

I want one!

#12 posted 01-31-2010 06:10 AM

That’s great to hear something good about customer service !
I had some issues with my JET drill press and the first words out of the guys mouth were “When did you buy it ? How much sanding have you done with it ? Do you still have your receipt ?”
All that before even asking me what the model number is ! And now I have to bring it somewhere in another state to a repair shop to see if it is covered under warranty because JET won’t authorize the repair shop to come to my house to check it out. It’s going to be fun trying to stuff a 17” drill press into my Honda CIVIC !

#13 posted 02-01-2010 03:38 PM

Dan, that’s great news about the plastic shield. Hopefully by the time that my PC dies, There will be an adapter for my PRLV2 router lift that I absolutely love!

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#14 posted 02-01-2010 03:48 PM

Russ – the Triton will NOT have an adapter for the PRLV2. the lift is designed for router motors, and the triton is a plunge router – everything is build into it. it does have the lift mechanism built into it though. the only way to install it in a router table is using a regular plate.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

#15 posted 02-01-2010 03:59 PM

Thanks for raining on my parade PurpLev!