Jet 12" Jointer - Planer

Review by ND2ELK posted 01-27-2010 04:23 AM 4310 views 1 time favorited 19 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet 12" Jointer - Planer Jet 12" Jointer - Planer Jet 12" Jointer - Planer Click the pictures to enlarge them

I am pleasantly surprised at the construction and thoughtful design of this machine. It came in an extremely will built crate and it was perfectly adjusted right out of the crate. The 3HP, 220V motor showed no sign of being under powered when planing and jointing the 100 bd ft of quarter-shawn white oak I had to run. I really like the high fence for jointing and I had no problem putting a straight edge on 8’ and 9’ boards. I felt the 55” tables were not too short to do this operation. When jointing one flat surface on one side of a board the bridge guard makes this operation very safe. I don’t see how anyone can get their hand in the cutter if they use this guard. When planing there was no snipe what so ever. I did not use any support except holding the board level when they came out. The dust collection chute worked great when doing both operations. It is real simple to switch from jointing to planing and back again. Because my shop is small I could have never had room to have this big of a jointer and planer if this was not a combo machine. I am very pleased with the performance of this machine and would recommend it to anyone that did not have the room for two big machines of this size in their shop.

-- Mc Bridge Cabinets, Iowa

View ND2ELK's profile

View Rj's profile

#1 posted 01-27-2010 04:30 AM

Very good review Tom ! I’ve been wondering about this machine .

-- Rj's Woodworks,San Jose & Weed Ca,

View GMman's profile

#2 posted 01-27-2010 04:39 AM

Good information Tom thanks for posting.

#3 posted 01-27-2010 05:12 AM

Nice review tom

-- Custom furniture

View Dan'um Style's profile

Dan'um Style

#4 posted 01-27-2010 05:46 AM

Very good review. First time for me seeing this tool. Well done.

-- keeping myself entertained ... Humor and fun lubricate the brain

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#5 posted 01-27-2010 06:30 AM

Very nice machine!! I’m jealous!!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View Andrew's profile

#6 posted 01-27-2010 01:57 PM

Nice reveiw.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View richgreer's profile

#7 posted 01-27-2010 03:28 PM

I came oh-so-close to buying one of these before I opted to buy a better jointer and continue to use my Dewalt bench top plainer. I may regret that decision.

Thanks for the excellent review.

#8 posted 01-27-2010 11:56 PM

Great new toy and excellent review : )

4634 posts in 2085 days

#9 posted 01-28-2010 12:00 AM

I used to be a cabinet maker in France a long long time ago.
I still have all my tools in France.
I have a Lurem 5 operations machine. It is equipped with 3×3HP motors.
This planer/jointer reminds me of it.
I miss my machine, I wish I had it here.

View pommy's profile

#10 posted 01-28-2010 12:00 AM

Tom i hate you LOL…... all tho’s great new toys you got for xmas jet are very big over here as you may know so i knew the reveiw would be good i’d love to get a shop full of new toys oneday enjoy my friend you deserve it

-- cut it saw it scrap it SKPE: ANDREW.CARTER69

View teenagewoodworker's profile

#11 posted 01-28-2010 02:11 AM

very nice. that looks like a great machine and you’ve got a nice little shop there two… very clean… wish my shop looked hat nice :)

View Todd A. Clippinger's profile

Todd A. Clippinger

#12 posted 01-28-2010 07:12 AM

I can tell the bed is too short for a lot of the boards that I joint. But being 2 machines in one space saving footprint is of value in the small shop.

-- Todd A. Clippinger, Montana,

View mmh's profile

#13 posted 01-28-2010 07:49 AM

Oooooh! I’m droolling! Can I come over and play too?

-- "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

View Roz's profile

#14 posted 01-31-2010 05:24 PM

Very nice tool

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

View Tomas's profile

#15 posted 01-31-2010 09:27 PM

I was wondering about thi model – is this the one with the blades or the cutters. If cutters, what was the noise level like? – Tomas