JD Lohr School of Woodworking -- Woodworking 101

Review by ben posted 2256 days ago 5324 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JD Lohr School of Woodworking -- Woodworking 101 No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Short version: this was the best money I’ve spent on anything related to wood, period. Jeff and his apprentice Rob were fantastic—knowledgeable, organized and enthusiastic.

Details

I have not taken a wood course of any sort since high school… I can’t imagine this being any more hands-on. The first day began with a primer on wood—grain, growth, selection, and even how ‘non-professionals’ can be most successful at the local hardwood dealer. But after that, it was constant learning, seeing and doing. Jeff organizes the course around a hall table project, but as he frequently reminded us, the course is not about the project—it’s about the techniques and knowledge needed to complete the project.

Throughout the instruction, Jeff delivers lessons that clearly come from his decades of experience, focusing on

1. Safety,
  2. Quality, and
  3. Efficiency

I’m sure those sound obvious, but every lesson is filled with the kind of detail that only comes with experience. The course spends a lot of time up front on how to use the most important tools in his shop: table saw, planer, jointer, router and finishing tools, with attention given to hand planes, scrapers, the band saw and lots of other things in smaller quantity. Jeff also sets up a fair number of brilliantly designed jigs, many of which have gone through 3 or 4 iterations of improvements. In addition to teaching basic “how to cut” types of things, he spends time on calibration and maintenance, focusing on practical ways for home woodworkers to achieve the nirvana of “square”. Of course all of this tool work is useless without understanding joinery, so all of the joinery required for the table is covered, as well as many things outside the scope of the project. Jeff does his best to give the (literal) 3-hour tour of finishing, saying that finishing deserves at least a week of its own, so he’s only giving an introduction. (Note that the table leaves unfinished.)

Honestly, the only complaint that I have about the class is that it’s over. If he offered a second course, I would be there in a heartbeat. All-in-all, it was top notch across the board. I felt engaged and educated throughout the class, and feel like I got a sweet deal at that price (around $1100 for weekend warrior, $900 for week long version).

If interested, check out:

Don’t be fooled by the presentation on web site (I was concerned, too). Check out his work, and I think you’ll get a better idea of the quality:

The shop is located in Limerick, PA, which is about 40 minutes north of Philly. From what the other students said, I got lucky to get in. These classes apparently sell out within minutes of opening, and I was lucky to be looking at the site after somebody had to cancel.

Feel free to message me if you have more specific questions.

Great review. nice job.

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

Where is this located?

Rikkor,

It’s in Limerick, PA, about 40 mins north of philly. (I put that, and a link to some of his work in the review, too.)

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

Great review ,this place isn’t very far from me . Classes do full up fast , in fact the Basics 101 classes are filled until next year . I wish some of these courses were also geared to working people. I would love to take some but don’t have the free time during the day .

Jerry,

Jeff does offer one weekend based course, but it fills quickly. However, at least 2 of the 12 slots in my class ended up being “replacements”, since people’s plans change, so you can always get on the list and see what happens. It’ll be worth it :)

-b

View Jim's profile

Jim

I just returned from attending Jeff’s school. BEST darn woodoworking experience I’ve ever had. The class is offered to all levels: beginner, intermediate and advanced. I’ve been woodworking for a number of years and considered myself intermediate. I was basically self-taught with an occassional class at the local Woodcraft store.

The amount of info was impressive: from the fundamentals of wood, wood movement, preparation of rough stock, joinery, gluing, tablesaw safety, tool maintenance…the list goes on. 6 days, 8-430, 1/2 hour for lunch. No fluff, no tool promotions, just a great instructor with a burning desire to pass his knowledge on to others who love the craft.

For those thinking about getting more serious about woodworking, I’d strongly recommend this class.

-- Jim, Boise ID - Attitude is everything

View a1Jim's profile (online now)

109273 posts in 2077 days

Thanks for the review . Glad you had a positive experience.

View MontyC's profile

MontyC

I attended Jeff’s basic class in August, and recommend it highly.