Sharpening System

Review by David Murray posted 01-24-2010 06:54 AM 3114 views 1 time favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sharpening System Sharpening System No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first review so bear with me.

I needed a way to sharpen my lathe chisels, I didn’t want the expence or have to wait to send them to a sharpening service. I have always been intimidated by sharpening tools so I went to a Rockler store nearby for guidance. They showed me the setup they had for sharpening there turning tools. I gained some valuable tips that day and went about researching products for this purpose.

The system I settled on is PSI’s version. I purchased it from Amazon.com it was $10 cheaper than from PSI and included shipping another $10 savings. All in all $114. I spent another $30 on a grinder from Harbor Freight.

The instruction sheet that came with system is fairly clear and easy to understand. It has a brief step by step paragraph for each attachment.

System came with a “V” Pocket Jig for sharpening gouges.

A grinding platform for regular chisels, skew chisels, parting tools and scrapers.

A Fingernail Jig for fingernail profile gouges.(I have yet to use this attachment)

An Offset Skew Grinding Attachment.

This purchase has allowed me to keep my lathe tools razor sharp. I mounted the system with the grinder near my lathe allowing for quick touch up of tools during a turning project. This is very important especially when turning acrylic and plastic blanks for pens.

I am very satisified with this purchase and would recommend this sharpening system.

-- Dave from "The Sawdust Shed"

View David Murray's profile

David Murray

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 01-24-2010 03:27 PM

This looks to be virtually identical to the Wolverine system at a much lower price. I’ve used my Wolverine for some time and I’m very happy with it.

I will make one suggestion. Based on the price I assume that your grinder is not a slow speed grinder. Slow speed grinders (running at 1750 rpm) with a 8” wheels work best for lathe tools.

View 8iowa's profile

8iowa

#2 posted 01-24-2010 03:34 PM

I’ll also place a vote for the 1750 rpm grinder, which is available from Woodcraft. You will also soon need a diamond dresser for your grinding wheels.

-- "Heaven is North of the Bridge"

5386 posts in 1918 days

#3 posted 01-25-2010 03:50 AM

I went with the Wolverine system myself, but had looked at the PSI unit. Had I seen decent reviews like this prior to my purchase, I might have gone with the PSI instead…

Oneway Manufacturing (The guys that make the Wolverine jig) recommend a full speed 8” grinder for sharpening lathe tools, but I see a LOT of advice from folks like the two posters above me saying a slow speed grinder. I went with a Ryobi BGH827 and fitted it with Aluminum Oxide white grinding wheels (60 and 100 grit)... Keeps the tools scary sharp, no loss of temper problem here!

I think if I were not using HSS though, there would be a problem…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#4 posted 01-26-2010 04:08 PM

My grinder is actually a variable speed grinder that I can run from 2000 rpm to 3450 rpm. When I grind lathe tools I run it as slow as possible. I have played with cranking the speed up and it just doesn’t feel right.

I’ve also been taught to use an eight inch wheel because smaller wheels create a cut with too much concavity. Thing is – an 8 inch wheel eventually becomes a 6 inch wheel. I’ll have to decide at what point a change to a new wheel.

As an FYI, I use a 60 grit wheel for my gouges and a 100 grit wheel for my skews and scrapers. I always hone my skews after grinding because, while it is important that every cutting tool be sharp, I think it is important that the skew be super sharp.

View deparrott's profile

deparrott

#5 posted 01-24-2014 04:33 PM

Dave, I was wondering if you are still happy with this product after having time to really use it. I’m looking at several different systems but there are just so many choices.

-- http://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodTurningCity

View David Murray's profile

David Murray

#6 posted 01-24-2014 08:42 PM

Very happy, was a good investment. I use it all the time to keep a sharp edge on turning tools.

-- Dave from "The Sawdust Shed"

View deparrott's profile