reviewing WEN's take on the dic/belt sander clone

Review by Zonker posted 01-11-2019 07:11 PM 610 views 0 times favorited 2 comments Add to Favorites Watch
reviewing WEN's take on the dic/belt sander clone reviewing WEN's take on the dic/belt sander clone reviewing WEN's take on the dic/belt sander clone Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought the WEN 6502 4×36-Inch Belt and 6-Inch Disc Sander with Cast Iron Base in October as a “Shop Warming ” gift to myself. I found this style to be the most versatile set up general shop use. I looked at 4 or 5 different brands that are all pretty much the same tool with a different coat of paint and went with the WEN on the grounds of price point. For what it is (a hobbyists general purpose sander) I’ve found it to be a pretty good tool. The packaging held up to shipping very well and there was no damage to the tool. Set up was straight forward, all the parts were there and the instructions were clear enough to understand. I’ve been using it since October and find it useful, and reliable. It has done everything I’ve asked of it, but admittedly I’ve only done light work with it. I think the belt is the most useful part as the disc is pretty small but still real good for small parts. I was actually surprised by how smooth it ran, considering the type of machine it is, it does not vibrate your hands numb after a few minutes. The supplied belt and disc are medium grit and about the most useful for general work. overall I feel it was money well spent.
So the Pro’s: WELL PACKAGED, it arrived safe and sound. With all parts included. EASY SET-UP: It took very little time to get it into operation. The instructions were clear, and illustrations helpful. POWERFUL ENOUGH: for a hobby machine, I found it up to any task I’ve given it so far. PRICE: The WEN seems to run 10-20 dollars less than any of the other clones. VIBRATION: Quite smooth for a low price tool.
Now the not so pleasant attributes: CONS: The aluminum table is quite flimsy and it has a hard time staying adjusted to 90 degrees. The knob location is also hard to get at for the disc. MITER GAUGE: The only nice thing I can say about it is that at least it’s aluminum so it will bring an extra penny at the scrap yard. I never even tried to use it. and finally the DUST PORT: It doesn’t fit either 2 1/2” or 1 1/4” shopvac hoses.(see photos) blue tape fixes that quite easily. DUST COLLECTION is also pretty poor.
Two tips, 1, if it doesn’t have a permanent home in your shop, mount it to a slab of 3/4 inch plywood, this makes it easier to get hold of. 2, Blue tape is an awesome coupling adapter for the dust ports.

-- Larry A. - I've made a small fortune with my woodworking. The trouble is, I started with a large fortune.

View Zonker's profile

Zonker

View Desert_Woodworker's profile

Desert_Woodworker

#1 posted 01-11-2019 11:52 PM

Good review. I have a few WEN products and have very good results with the product.

-- Desert_Woodworker

View MrRon's profile (online now)

MrRon

#2 posted 01-12-2019 05:53 PM

I’ve owned Wen products for many years (still do) and they have always served me well. The latest Wen tool I bought (4 months ago) was the oscillating spindle sander. It is a clone of many other sanders, including HF, but costs quite a bit less. So far it has worked well for what I do, which is model making. For the money, I don’t think it can be beat. It is consumer grade, so don’t expect industrial grade.