Disposable supplies

Review by rustfever posted 01-23-2010 06:45 PM 1981 views 0 times favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Disposable supplies Disposable supplies Disposable supplies Click the pictures to enlarge them

For some time, I tried to find something to use when working with small amounts of glues or finishing supplies. A sign painter friend told me of these ‘Souffle Cup’. We know these as sample cups when we go to the deli and are given a small sample. The cups come in many sizes, from about 1/2 oz to about 4oz and in untreated paper or plastic.

The benifit of these cups are several; First, you always have a clean container into which you can put small amounts of various glues, stains, oils, paints, etc. Second, since they are very inexpensive, you never need to worry about trying to clean and re-use. Just toss.

I have been using these when glueing up. Just add a little glue, use an acid brush or small paint brush, and go. When I am done, Toss!. Great for tung oil, stain, paint, or other chemicals, too!

Souffle cups come in plain paper, plastic, and waxed or treated paper [waxed/treated not good for most chemicals or applications]. I use the plastic for oil, varnish, and similar items. I use the plain paper for glue, epoxy, and compound that would react with the plastic.

I purchase these in a local ‘Resturant Supply’ store that is open to the public. In Central California, I buy at ‘Smart & Final’. The cost is small. I believe 125 plastic or 250 paper each cost around $3.00 per package. they have other sizes, but I find these sizes work great for most of my projects.

These sure beat purchasing the larger plastic ‘disposable’ cups at the craft supply stores where the price is $1.00 each or more.

112089 posts in 2232 days

#1 posted 01-23-2010 06:49 PM

Thanks for the tip.

View reggiek's profile

reggiek

2240 posts in 1925 days

#2 posted 01-23-2010 07:04 PM

Great Idea…..I’ve been using wax paper on a piece of wood for glues and epoxies and old prescription medicine bottles for oils and varnishes.. – trouble with wax paper is it is thin and tears easily….the medicine bottles are good though…and mostly reuseable…...I’ll have to look about for some of those cups …

-- Woodworking.....My small slice of heaven!

View BTKS's profile

BTKS

1967 posts in 2119 days

#3 posted 01-23-2010 10:16 PM

Looks like little dixie cups just made a comeback. Thanks for the tip, the little dispensers should be handy too.

-- "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch)

View papadan's profile

papadan

1153 posts in 2023 days

#4 posted 01-23-2010 11:51 PM

BTKS knows! I use plastic Dixie cups, the paper ones don’t last long enough sometimes and will leak.

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!

View thiel's profile

thiel

359 posts in 1947 days

#5 posted 01-24-2010 02:31 AM

This is a good idea. I saw Marc Spagnuolo using dixie cups a while ago and thought it was a good idea.

-- Laziness minus Apathy equals Efficiency

#6 posted 01-24-2010 02:37 AM

I, too, have found the paper cups to have a short life in some applications. But then there are sometimes you cannot use the plastic because the material you are using will melt or be changed by the plastic. I found after using, the untreated paper begin to ‘seep’ after only a couple of minutes when using Tung oil and paint thinner However, the paper cups will last much longer than the Tite-bond glue pop life.
By using both type of ‘soulffle’ cup, you are able to deal with most anything a woodworker will use.

#7 posted 01-24-2010 02:49 AM

Most ‘Dixie” cups are treated with a waterproofing coating. These coatings can mess with your paint, epxoy, chemicals, etc. that is why I do not use coated cups of any brand.

#8 posted 01-24-2010 03:56 AM

A great suggestion. Thanks for the tip.

View papadan's profile

papadan

1153 posts in 2023 days

#9 posted 01-24-2010 04:16 AM

Yeah, I found out how some cleaners can melt the plastic cups. I always keep a few pickle or baby food jars for those times. LOL

View oakdust's profile

oakdust

#10 posted 01-24-2010 04:33 PM

I use the little individuale apple sauce cups or jello cups. Works great for glue or even mixing small amounts of color for matching

-- Bob, Rockford IL,

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2059 days

#11 posted 01-24-2010 05:22 PM

I do the same thing, little cups from apple sauce, jello, pudding, etc.

View BOB67CAM's profile

BOB67CAM

#12 posted 01-27-2010 09:44 AM

thought id throw this out, altho im very new to this stuff, me and my favorite wife ..lol got married about 2.5 years ago and we had gotten a few packages of what are called jello shot cups if i recall correctly we still had an unopened package they maybe wouldnt work for larger projects but my wife and her friend have gotten into dyeing wood a lil bit and those jello shot cups work awesome for that o and they come with tops too, so when they have leftovers they can sit around for awhile

-- if you dont have it, build it, especially when its a stupid idea

#13 posted 01-27-2010 03:45 PM

I just found the reciept and discovered the cost. 250 of the papera were 2.59 or about a penny each. ., 125 of the plastice were 4.19 were slightly over 3 cents each.

View Ollie's profile

Ollie

146 posts in 1929 days

#14 posted 06-11-2010 12:20 AM

I have found the best disposable cups in a car paint supplier.
They are about 500ml capacity and clear plastic. The bonus with these cups is they are pre marked with mixture measures ie, 2 to 1, 3 to 1 etc, percentage marks and standard milllitre marks. I think 100 cups was about £5.

-- Ollie, UK.

View XrayJay's profile

XrayJay

#15 posted 02-05-2014 01:56 PM

Guys this may not work for everyone but I like these from Wally world. They are by the food and cups.
“Diamond Multi purpose mini cups”
They are $2.97 per 50 with lid. Plastic. 2oz. Roughly a nickel a piece. A little high but convenient. I use them for glue but I also use them after sanding Purple heart, maple, or mahogany I collect the dust and store it in the container then label with the wood, so I can use the wood dust later with glue to fill in cracks.

-- Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your might,... because there is no work in the grave...Ecclesiastes 9:10