Dust Deputy, Fein Turbo II and a Homer bucket

Review by Green_Hornut posted 01-02-2019 03:00 AM 915 views 1 time favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Dust Deputy, Fein Turbo II and a Homer bucket Dust Deputy, Fein Turbo II and a Homer bucket Dust Deputy, Fein Turbo II and a Homer bucket Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received a Dust Deputy DYI for Christmas and now that the holidays are winding down I decided to put everything together. I was happy to receive it as a gift with the expectation that it will help reduce the number of expensive bags I have to buy for my Fein Turbo II. After watching a couple of YouTube videos of other installs and reading the owner’s manual I stopped by Home Depot and picked up a Homer bucket and top. I liked HD’s top because it had a rubber gasket to help seal. The Dust Deputy has 2 inch ports that kind of, sort of, taper from slightly over 2” to slightly under 2”. With the well-known variability of dust collection fittings, I took it with me and stopped at a Rockler store and asked for help. At one point I had 3 guys at the same time all bringing parts and hoses over in an attempt to get something to fit between my Dust Deputy and the Fein Turbo II. I left the store $70 poorer with what I felt was less than optimum solution. Only after I got home did I find a piece of old 2 ¼” Ridgid shop vac hose from a previous DC setup that worked perfect and I wouldn’t be out of a lot of money if I cut it. So long story short, I hooked everything up for a trial run and started cleaning the shop. Everything worked great until I sucked up a piece of cardboard on the end of the hose which sealed the end and the Homer bucket instantly collapsed like a cheap lawn chair with a fat man sitting in it. Back to the drawing board for a bucket.

Take away impressions. The Dust Deputy is well made and does a great job separating out the sawdust. Made in the USA. A little pricey but I’d much rather spend a little more to support an American tool company than sit on forums and bitch about the quality and service from Chinese companies. The Fein Turbo II has way more suction than a lot of shop vacs out there. You can probably get away with a Homer bucket if you are hooking up a el cheapo shop vac but not if you have a Fein. And finally the Homer bucket. Not up to the task. It’s going to be banished to the garage to hold mulch for my wife’s plants while I look for something more substantial.

View jamsomito's profile

jamsomito

#1 posted 01-02-2019 04:34 AM

My “6 HP” shop vac crushed my Homer bucket without plugging the line. I was running it for about 30 minutes with my circular saw and when I was done it looked just like yours. Just make a quick ring for the inside, problem solved!

I wrote a post about it here: http://lumberjocks.com/replies/4556497

I love my dust deputy. The shop vac still does get caked with fine dust and needs to be blown out a couple times a year with the small amount of work I do, but it does work well.

View Dustin's profile

Dustin

#2 posted 01-02-2019 02:48 PM

Big fan of mine as well. I have a similar capacity shop vac as jamsomito above, and it only took ruining one filter for me to realize that dropping the cash on the DD would save me money in short time.

I do, however, take it a step further: I use the paper bags inside my vac, and a hepa filter. Going on two years with that setup, and I think I’ve only used two bag liners and have yet to need to blow out the filter.

-- "Ladies, if your husband says he'll get to it, he'll get to it. No need to remind him about it every 6 months."

View jamsomito's profile

jamsomito

#3 posted 01-02-2019 03:16 PM

Ah. I did get the HEPA filter, but I have not been using the bags. I still have 2 that came with the vac but I’ve just not put them in. I’ll have to give it a try.

#4 posted 01-02-2019 04:23 PM

I know someone who has done this set up. They used 2 Homer buckets, 1 inside the other. They put a lot of epoxy the outside of the inner bucket before putting them together. As far as I know he has not had any issues.

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#5 posted 01-03-2019 12:21 AM

A few years ago I painted my metal roof with Kool Seal, The 5 gallon bucket full was heavy and when empty I noticed that the bucket was pretty heavy duty too. Been using that with my DD/ShopVac and it has never collapsed.

View Gouge's profile

Gouge

#6 posted 01-03-2019 09:17 AM

Same thing here. Paint bucket works quite well for now, but mine is shorter than the orange one, which had me thinking about something bigger. And so I found this site: berlinpackaging.com
They have all kinds from buckets to drums, in plastic, metal and fiber.
Have at it gents.

#7 posted 01-03-2019 11:50 PM

Update

I bought another bucket, this time from Menards which is an upper midwest regional big box store. The Dust Deputy says to use a 90 mil bucket but stores list their buckets with all sorts of descriptions. I found one that did list 90 mil, some by weight and some nothing at all but to say heavy duty. This one weighted the most so I figured that should equate somewhat to thickness. I also added a screw top rather than a snap on for ease of opening and dumping. I had to cut out the middle of the cap to get a flat spot to mount the Dust Deputy. There is a YouTube video out there of a guy doing the exact same thing. Rather than plywood I used 1/4” plexiglass so I could see inside without having to open it up. Glued the Plex on to the screw cap with Gorilla clear non-foaming glue. I was a little worried about trying to mate HDPE and Plexiglas but the Gorilla came through like a champ. They aren’t going anywhere.

Fired up the Fein and everything worked great. The bucket held, the plex held, and the Fein strained so it must be tight. Now on to building a rolling cart for the whole mess. Workbench vol 109.

-- Mother Nature always bats last.

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

#8 posted 01-04-2019 07:19 PM

My dust deputy has been performing as advertised for years. It’s a huge pain wrangling the shop vac, bucket & all the hose when moving things around to vacuum, but barely any dust makes it into the shop vac.

#9 posted 01-04-2019 08:24 PM

Great update, Wonderful idea t use clear for visibility purposes and the screen on lid for ease of dumping

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

View shampeon's profile

shampeon

#10 posted 01-04-2019 08:54 PM

You could have just bought a second bucket to fit the first into. The pressure differential would be lessened, and the first bucket won’t crush. Adding an additional bucket also allows you to strap the second bucket to the shop vac, and lift out the first to empty the shavings.

But yeah, the cyclone makes a big difference.

-- ian | "You can't stop what's coming. It ain't all waiting on you. That's vanity."

View htl's profile

htl

#11 posted 01-06-2019 12:43 AM

The 7 gal. pool buckets have worked well for me.
I’ve noticed a few but some one needs to come up with a simple pressure release valve for you guys with those super vacs. LOL

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729

#12 posted 01-06-2019 09:19 PM

Update #2

Finished the rolling cart. I took my inspiration from Workbench #109 but there were a lot of parts I didn’t feel were needed. They designed a hinged cover for the Dust Deputy to hold in place. A bungee cord and some eye screws worked just as well. Drilled some holes in the top of the cart to hold tools. Thanks everyone for looking and your comments.