Cheap, but works very well

Review by funchuck posted 01-22-2010 02:42 AM 3206 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Cheap, but works very well No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this miter saw about 4 or 5 years ago. It was my second major tool purchase. The first was my $100 Delta table saw.

Since then, I’ve used this saw for almost every project I’ve worked on. I’m a hobbyist, so it’s not like I use this everyday though. I am still using the stock blade on it, and it does cut very roughly. I have been meaning to replace that blade with something better soon.

It has never broken down and when I set the angles, it doesn’t move. But, when setting the angle on the base, it is a little hard to keep the setting. When I twist the handle to lock it down, it will move the angle to the left. I need to apply some force to the right to compensate. Once locked down though, it’s ok. Ergonomically, it feels good to me. It also has holes in the base to mount to a stand, and it has holes on the front and on the fence so I can mount some clamps on it.

Sometimes, when I go to Lowes or HD, I will stop by the miter saw section and fondle some of them. They look so nice, and have all these features that mine doesn’t… but in the end, I always end up not buying anything because this saw does everything I need it to do. Plus, it is nice and light. I can carry it around without too much effort. This is one of the lower cost tools that I do not plan to upgrade.

-- Charles from California

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

View wookie's profile

wookie

#1 posted 01-22-2010 03:04 AM

I bought a cheap Wen 10” sliding @ menards on Black Friday. First thing I did is replace the blade with an Avanti by Freud 60 tooth. Improved the saw immensely. Wish I had bought the 80 tooth now. It’s at Menards for $54 but you can probably get it cheaper at Amazon.

-- Wookie=Wood Rookie

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#2 posted 01-22-2010 05:30 AM

Thanks for the review. It is well written. It also makes me wonder – - in these reviews are we rating performance per dollar spent or just performance. In the magazine reviews we will often see two designations, best value and best overall performance. This saw sounds like a very good value for the money but I am sure it is a weak performer compared to the $400+ miter saws that are available. Maybe we need two ratings, one for best value and one for best overall performance, on this website.

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

#3 posted 01-22-2010 05:45 AM

I usually assume its rated performance for the money, very often the high dollar tools are just a whole different animal and comparing a $100 hobbyist miter saw to a $700 professional grade one is just apples and oranges. You pretty much KNOW the hobbyist one isnt going to stack up, but if thats what you’re in the market for you just want to know if its a decent one.

Might be good to have a few critical premade subcategories that we can rate stuff on when we write up a review

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

#4 posted 01-22-2010 08:15 AM

thanks for the review,

View PineInTheAsh's profile

PineInTheAsh

401 posts in 1954 days

#5 posted 01-22-2010 08:46 AM

A blade change and tune-up and my 10-year-old Delta is good to go another decade.

View Dennis Fletcher's profile

Dennis Fletcher

#6 posted 01-22-2010 03:04 PM

I also have one of these that I started using even in my construction business, as I really don’t use it everyday. It works great, I love it. I had to change the blade and ended up breaking the guard, which is not a problem for me, as I am the only one who uses it. I have also noticed that now that I use it a lot more, the blade break seems to work randomly at times. Again, not a problem for me, but i wouldn’t let someone working for me use it without letting them know.
All-in-all, one of the best purchases I have made, worth the $100 if you are using it in your shop on the weekend or just have some home projects to do. Not really recommended as your only mitre saw for everyday use, just not built to do that.

-- http://www.ahomespecialist.net, Making design and application one. †

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

#7 posted 01-23-2010 12:41 AM

richgreer: I think the problem with having 2 ratings is that some people have not used anything better. This is the only miter saw that I ever used… but I gave it a 4 star rating not because it is good for the price, but because I think performance-wise, it is a good saw. Perhaps if I use a high end miter saw, I might change my mind, but I think this saw is good enough that I do not feel any need to upgrade.

For example, I had a cheap 10” Delta table saw. Even from the day I first used it, I felt limited. The table was tiny, there was a lot of play in the miter gauge slot, the miter gauge head was made of flimsy plastic, and there were no options to replace the fence or miter gauge with anything better. I felt very limited with this table saw, but the Delta miter saw is a whole different story. I did not feel limited, nor any need to upgrade.

Dennis: One time, I thought the blade brake on mine also broke, but it turns out that the blade was not fastened tightly enough. I few turns with the wrench and the blade brake worked again.

-- Charles from California

View Bob Kollman's profile

Bob Kollman

#8 posted 01-24-2010 09:23 AM

Good reveiw, I know what you mean about going to the store and admiring the up grades…

Ohhhhhhhhhh I want Dat!!!!

-- Bob Kenosha Wi.