Veritas Saddle Square by Lee Valley

Review by Jim Crockett (USN Retired) posted 1649 days ago 3642 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Veritas Saddle Square by Lee Valley No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have always had problems wrapping a line around faces of a piece of stock – seems as though the two lines never accurately intersected at the edge. So I recently purchased a Veritas Saddle Square from Lee Valley. What a difference the proper tool makes! I can now accurately draw lines on all sides of the stock and it is accomplished quickly and easily.

The Saddle Square is made of anodized aluminum, 2” wide. The two legs are 1-1/4” and 2-1/4” long and both end faces are machined square within 1/4 degree.

This is a simple little tool but simple is oftentimes best. It allows the user to repeatedly transfer lines from one face of a board to another without error. It does exactly what I purchased it for and does it very well – that’s all I can ask.

Jim

-- A veteran is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including his/her life".

View Jim Crockett (USN Retired)'s profile

Jim Crockett (USN Retired)

View BarbS's profile

BarbS

Indispensable! I have both sizes and use them both regularly. These very much helped my marking system for accuracy and carrying a line over a corner; lines up every time on the fourth side, viola!

-- http://barbsid.blogspot.com/

View Chris 's profile

Chris

I have this model and the miter square; I love using them

View rowdy's profile

rowdy

373 posts in 2044 days

I use one of these all of the time…....very helpful. I have seen hinges promoted for the same use, but imho this little device is much more accurate and useful.

-- Rowdy in Kechi, Kansas

View ChuckV's profile

ChuckV

Jim,
As you say, this thing is so simple yet useful. Since I bought one about two years ago, I have used it way more than I ever thought I would.

-- “That it will never come again / Is what makes life so sweet. ” ― Emily Dickinson

View CreekWoodworker's profile

CreekWoodworker

409 posts in 1900 days

I agree very useful tool. I also have the 1:8 Dovetail Saddle Marker, also very useful.

-- Mike ...Success is often the result of taking a misstep in the right direction

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

Nice review. Most of their stuff is high quality, useful tools.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

I use Lee Valley’s dovetail saddles and the Veritas Saddle Square is on my list. They look similar to the dovetail saddles and they are very well made. I do a lot of shopping and wishing at Lee Valley they are cheaper than Lee-Nielsen and are the same quality.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

Hey i got the same one! Really usefull!

-- Charles-Etienne Sauvé-Faucher, Ebéniste.

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

I have both this model and the longer square. I use them constantly!

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at www.renaissancewoodworker.com

View bob101's profile

bob101

176 posts in 2052 days

Veritas anything is great I have had that saddle square for five years and love it

-- rob, ont,canada