Titebond ll Extended Wood Glue

Review by bear2 posted 12-01-2018 01:43 AM 1214 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Titebond ll Extended Wood Glue No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I just used this product on a glue up and it offers no “Slower speed of set”. Its speed of set is no slower than any other Titebond product. If you get 5 minutes your will be lucky.

-- It isn't always about being fast or even accurate that counts, it's being willing

View woodsmithshop's profile

woodsmithshop

#1 posted 12-01-2018 01:52 PM

I have tried it also, and it set up as quick or quicker than other TB’s

-- Smitty!!!

#2 posted 12-01-2018 04:08 PM

Does any one know of any slow set glue?

View Planeman40's profile

Planeman40

#3 posted 12-01-2018 04:51 PM

I would love to have an answer to this too!

Years ago (1970s) when I was building a homebuilt sailplane (glider) I laminated the long spars from Sitka spruce using Weldwood resorcinol glue, a 2-part liquid/powder glue which worked fine and was the approved glue for homebuilt aircraft at the time. However I never like the mixing part and the color which was a dark reddish brown. I hope something better has appeared since then.

-- Always remember: It is a mathematical certainty that half the people in this country are below average in intelligence!

#4 posted 12-01-2018 06:04 PM

Liquid hide glue and plastic resin glue like Weldwood have fairly long open times. Weldwood does set brown.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

#5 posted 12-01-2018 09:29 PM

The brown color will not work.
I was thinking about liquid hide glue. I need about 8 minutes and clear set. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate.

#6 posted 12-01-2018 09:51 PM

Liquid hide glue dries clear with an amber tint. I’ll definitely give you 8 minutes of open time. Fish glue has a fast tack, long open time and dries water clear.

#7 posted 12-01-2018 10:55 PM

I noticed a longer open time with TBII Extend. It’s too thin and runny for my liking so I went back to regular TBII.

View JCamp's profile

JCamp

#8 posted 12-02-2018 12:13 AM

It’s been a long time since I’d used hide glue but I remember it having a fairly strong smell to it. Play with it first to make sure ur ok with that before u use it on a project that will have the lingering smell

-- Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might

#9 posted 12-02-2018 12:36 AM

- JCamp

It doesn’t have any stronger smell than other glues. Same for fish glue.

View Breeze73's profile

Breeze73

#10 posted 12-02-2018 02:39 AM

Does any one know of any slow set glue?

- bear2

West Systems Epoxy. Should give you an ample 15-20 mins of work time before it starts to set up.

-- Breeze

View Lenny's profile

Lenny

#11 posted 12-02-2018 01:00 PM

Titebond III Ultimate has an open time of about ten minutes. It’s color when dry is tan or light brown and it is thinner, more runny, than Titbond II.

-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#12 posted 12-02-2018 06:50 PM

System 3 T88 epoxy has a long open time.

View jonah's profile

jonah

1926 posts in 3501 days

#13 posted 12-03-2018 06:46 PM

I’ve never been able to get more than five minutes of open time from Titebond, II, or III. They all seem about the same to me. Certainly none of them give ten minutes.

I’ve also tried the extend version reviewed here and in addition to being a lot thinner, I found it didn’t really drastically increase the open time.

If I need open time, I use slow setting epoxy or a resin glue like weldwood.

View Green_Hornut's profile

Green_Hornut

#14 posted 12-05-2018 02:59 AM

Gorilla now makes a clear non-foaming polyurethane glue that seems to have a fairly long set time. I use it for a number of projects where dis-similar materials need to be joined but I see no reason it wouldn’t work on wood. I got mine at a big box store where Gorilla is carried.

-- Mother Nature always bats last.

View CaptainKlutz's profile

CaptainKlutz

#15 posted 12-05-2018 06:27 AM

I ve never been able to get more than five minutes of open time from Titebond, II, or III. They all seem about the same to me. Certainly none of them give ten minutes.
- jonah

+1 I used to have same issue.
But an accidental wet rag exposure to a glue joint, changed my thinking. This especially true here in Arizona, where humidity can hover below 20% for months at a time.

If I need long open time on big assembly with PVA glue, I do two things:

1) Make sure I use roller, or largest paint brush tolerable to apply glue quickly.
You can’t tolerate 5-7 minutes just to apply glue.

2) Take a wet rag, and wipe down the glue joints first.
Not sloppy wet, just leave em damp. Should look dried out about time you put glue on top.
The extra moisture slows absorption into wood until I apply pressure and force glue into wood.

I have been doing this for years on complicated face frames. Used it more on small glue up’s, since I moved to Arizona and my wood stash is always below 3%-4% that meter can detect.
Using this method, TB II extend gives me ~10 minutes to clamp, and another ~10 minutes to make adjustments and final clamp tightening.

Longest PVA open time I have witnessed came from plain old Elmer’s white glue, and it dries clear.
If you don’t need water resistance and want long open time;
then use white glue or hide glue as others have already mentioned.

YMMV

-- I'm an engineer not a woodworker, but I can randomly find useful tools and furniture inside a pile of lumber!