Final Bandsaw

Review by PhineasWhipsnake posted 01-21-2010 05:38 AM 3753 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Final Bandsaw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’m retiring in 3 months, so I decided to upgrade to this saw from a Delta 10” I bought 10 years ago. I originally wanted the 17” Grizzly, but decided to buy from a local brick & mortar store (Sacrramento Machinery)for political reasons. This saw has pretty much all the features I wanted: 12” resaw capacity, roller guides, quick-disconnect detensioning, and, most importantly, local support in case of a problem. Like everyone else, I replaced the blade with a Woodslicer from Highland, and couldn’t be happier with the performance. The fit & finish are quite good for a sub-$1K saw, and the guides are reasonably easy to adjust. For some strange reason, Jet included a nice T-handle 6mm allen wrench, but I couldn’t find a single fastener on the saw that needed it. The roller guides all use a 4mm allen wrench (a conventional L-wrench was supplied). I found it quite easy to change blades, and I was soon resawing some 8” wide red oak. I’m a little disappointed that Jet didn’t include a fence and task light, but I sprung for the Kreg fence, which completes the package. The saw is quiet & smooth (with the new blade, of course). Overall, I’m quite happy with this machine.

-- Gene T

View PhineasWhipsnake's profile

PhineasWhipsnake

View MedicKen's profile

MedicKen

#1 posted 01-21-2010 05:55 AM

Welcome to LJ’s and good luck with the new toy

-- My job is to give my kids things to discuss with their therapist....medic20447@gmail.com

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

709 posts in 1950 days

#2 posted 01-21-2010 01:52 PM

Thanks for the info, You will be happy with that model.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#3 posted 01-21-2010 03:42 PM

Thanks for the review. I have this model’s big brother, the 18 inch without a quick release. I’ve been very happy with it.

View rustfever's profile

rustfever

639 posts in 2061 days

#4 posted 01-21-2010 09:01 PM

Glad to hear of your success. I, too, have had good success with the several Jets I own. The ‘Green’ Brand, on the other hand has been nothing but disappointment

There is no subsitute for a well tuned/adjusted/accurate tool. There is nothing worse than a tool that will not maintain adjustment.

-- Rustfever, Central California

View bigike's profile

bigike

4035 posts in 2039 days

#5 posted 01-21-2010 11:54 PM

yea i wanted to buy one too but then i found the rikon 14” so i think i’ll get the rikon then a driftmaster fence from laguna. whats the HP on the jet?

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View stefang's profile

stefang

13633 posts in 2085 days

#6 posted 01-22-2010 09:03 PM

Hey Gene, congrats on your new BS. I couldn’t help but wonder if the 6mm allen wrench is used to mount/demount the thing that you swing your table on, the table level set screw or perhaps the wheel or tension screw mountings. Just a shot in the dark.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

#7 posted 02-11-2010 08:16 AM

Thanks for the review

View WayneC's profile

WayneC

#8 posted 02-28-2010 06:33 AM

Nice Saw Gene. I live about a mile from SMC.

-- We must guard our enthusiasm as we would our life - James Krenov

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1925 days

#9 posted 02-28-2010 06:44 AM

Great review. Great machine! Congrats!!

”Jet included a nice T-handle 6mm allen wrench, but I couldn’t find a single fastener on the saw that needed it. ”

Only one SURE way to find out what it fits.

Throw it away ;-)

-- -- Neil

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

4806 posts in 1925 days

#10 posted 02-28-2010 06:47 AM

From the Jet manual of another model band saw:

“With a 6mm hex wrench, secure the motor
to the saw body with 2 each M8×25 socket
head cap screws (A), M8 spring washers,
and M8×30 flat washers©. Do not tighten
at this time.”

AND

“With a 6mm hex wrench, tighten both socket
head cap screws (D, Fig. 5).”

Source: http://content.wmhtoolgroup.com/manuals/man_708113A.pdf

MAYBE it’ll help with yours ???

-- -- Neil

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#11 posted 02-28-2010 06:50 AM

Great buy I hope you will love it for a LONG TIME. ;-)

-- Only the Shadow knows....................