An okay saw.

Review by bgilb posted 11-27-2018 07:47 PM 1104 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
An okay saw. An okay saw. No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

For the money, the saw is okay at best. I used to have a Rigid R4511 (the crazy granite top one) and honestly some things about that one were better than this saw.

Things I like: Solid construction and very heavy and well built. It runs really well so no issues there. Good dust collection. The blade guard is good.

Things that I don’t like:

#1) The fence (at least the one I got) is garbage. Everyone said it was upgraded compared to the previous model. The fence is not flat, it’s almost impossible to get aligned with the blade and moves easily with a little pressure in the back. The fence does not glide smoothly whatsoever. This is even after they sent me replacement teflon pads. The fence also shifts when you’re locking it down which is kind of annoying. The parts that came with the fence were rusted in some spots. The fence bows in, in the middle. Even after I shimmed it some using aluminum tape.

#2) The blade splitter is IMPOSSIBLE to align with the blade. I checked and the splitter was indeed flat (using a dial indicator. But using the set screws that are available for the blade splitter, there is absolutely no way to get it centered in the back.

#3) The side extension wings have absolutely no way to get them level with the top. I know some people say it doesn’t matter, but I don’t agree with this. They weigh 60lbs, and the only way to shim them is using shim stock or tape. This does not work. I unbolted, shimed, bolted, etc at least 10 times per wing. Even after I felt like it was pretty close to flat, later I moved the saw and the wings are now back to sagging. I’m not sure if the tape ended up being compressed (I used aluminum ducting tape). I wish the wings had some sort of set screws. Maybe it’s possible to drill in and add them?

Honestly it doesn’t feel like a $900 saw. Considering my old R4511 was like $300. 3x the price did not equate to any part of the saw being 3x better.

View bgilb's profile

bgilb

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

#1 posted 11-28-2018 10:46 AM

That sucks, if you spend that much you expect a better product, grizzly was going to be my next saw.

View dday's profile

dday

#2 posted 11-29-2018 01:50 PM

Send it back and get a refund.

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#3 posted 11-29-2018 11:46 PM

Send it back and get a refund.

- dday

Yep. I agree.

Send it back.

-- I always knew I would grow old, But I expected it to take longer!

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#4 posted 11-30-2018 12:15 AM

Well. It is dirt cheap comparatively.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View Roz's profile

Roz

#5 posted 12-02-2018 05:26 PM

I have an old Grizzly saw and many other tools they sell. They often arrived damaged and I would send them back. They were good about making things right. I haven’t made a purchase from them in a long while. I hated the blade guard they sent and don’t know where it is now but the saw is still running well. I had similar issues with the side extension legs and blocked them from the mobile base until I achieved level. My $600.00 saw has seen a lot of use and is still going strong. My shop is full of Grizzly tools that work well. The company, however doesn’t always work well for their customers. I say they need to make you happy. Stay after them until they do. Good luck and don’t settle.

-- Terry Roswell, L.A. (Lower Alabama) "Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans."

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#6 posted 12-02-2018 10:31 PM

curious – seeing that this saw is quite comparable (other than the – minor HP increase) to the R4511 you had before – what made you want to switch saws (I could see a desire to upgrade to a more industrial grade saw)?

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View HankLP's profile

HankLP

#7 posted 12-04-2018 01:43 AM

I have the older model – G0771 – and have been very pleased with it. Never had to align the splitter, and the fence works very well once I found the adjusting screws to set it perpendicular. Maybe they dropped the ball on the newer model, or maybe It was just a giant leap forward from my 30 year old bottom of the line Craftsman saw.

View WoodenDreams's profile

WoodenDreams

#8 posted 12-04-2018 07:30 AM

I have a G0771Z, purchased mine April 2017. The table extensions lined up smooth with no shimming, splitter is straight with the blade, The fence operates smoothly and straight. I have noticed that I have to put extra pressure to lock the fence down, when I’m ripping longer heavier boards. I do like this table saw, Not designed for the all out production shop, but great for a hobbyist.

View dannmarks's profile

dannmarks

#9 posted 12-06-2018 01:17 AM

I have a 3 horse G1023 early 1980’s

model Table saw. Has always worked very well and the fence is very strong, always straight and aligned even after 35 years or more and many rough moves later. There was one thing really dumb though – the fence was .5 inches off to the scale. It was I believe because they added the .5 inch thick plywood and formica to the fence. So then I added exactly .5 oak to the face.all of these years later I am still adding 1.0” to all of my cuts. This year I am buying the Incra fence system. Not because I am unhappy with the fence really. But because I want the accuracy of dialing in how many thousands of an inch I want to. Also just because it is what I wanted for Christmas this year. Thinking about giving it a new paint job just for the hell of it as long as it will have a fancy fence now. This saw owes me nothing…