Central Machinery 10" Industrial Cabinet Saw

Review by dustbunny posted 1644 days ago 12365 views 2 times favorited 61 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Central Machinery 10" Industrial Cabinet Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I know your probably thinking…”HF, if it’s anything like some of the other things they sell, it’s not worth it”
But read on…
I was very reluctant to buy this saw, and debated about it for several months. Then HF had a 25% discount coupon the day after Christmas, only to be used on New Years Day. I figured the math and this TS was going to cost $562.50, original price $750.00. So I bit the bullet and ordered it.
The specs-
3 HP motor, 230V, single phase; Max. speed: 4150 RPM; No load amps: 6.9; Start-up amps: 10; Cutting cap.: 3-1/8” 90//, 2-1/8" 45°; Max. rip cut: 30” Right/ 12” Left, Table dim.: 20-1/8” W x 27-1/8”D
Weight: 480 lbs.

Precision ground cast iron table with stress-free saw arbor to reduce vibration
Precision miter gauge with adjustable slide bar
Triple V-belt drive system creates more power
Solid steel extension wings
Anti-kickback mounted blade guard
Easy access motor door
Magnetic safety switch
Cast iron trunnions

The specs compare similar to most TS of this size. I figure that there are not that many TS factories in Taiwan/China so the chances are this comes from the same factory as some of the name brand, maybe as a “not perfect but still good” unit. I’m not into having to have a name brand, as long as it is functional and accurate.

I was amazed when I opened the box after trucking it home. It is solid, and the construction is better than I had imagined.
The Table T-slots are perfectly parallel to the blade. No adjustments needed.
After making all the adjustments to the fence, miter, and splitter, this saw cuts perfect. No burning, no blade marks even with my old blade, and it purrs quietly. I am VERY pleased with this purchase.
I didn’t give it a 5 star because there were a few things that could have been better.
1. The manual- I think the manual is old, and modifications have not been updated in writing. But, it’s not rocket science and was easy enough to figure out.
2. A few little things like casting slag on the underside of the table where bolts tighten down. Fixed it with a file. There were no instructions on adjusting the fence, figured it out, needed to purchase longer set screws. The perfect locking adjustment left about one thread hanging on. Easy fix. Now it’s perfect !!

For the money I paid, and what I have, this was definitely worth it. Even if it isn’t labeled Grizzly, Jet, or Delta
I works like a champ.
I recommend this saw as an upgrade from a bench top or contractors saw without spending a ton of money.

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

wow sounds like you got an awesome deal! thats about what I had budgeted for my eventual upgrade TO a contractors saw LOL!

can it handle a riving knife? or is it restricted to just the splitter?

My biggest concern when buying HF stuff with motors isn’t so much the accuracy (although that’s usually iffy) but rather the durability, once you get em turned up they can usually handle good cuts (more than accurate enough for my needs) but they seem to burn out fairly frequently.

Still even if the motor doesn’t last at that price I imagine you could replace it with a beefier model and still come out ahead in the end!

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

111999 posts in 2173 days

I hope it serves you well for years to come Lisa Congrats on your new saw.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

WOO-HOO!!!

I’ve come to believe that Harbor Freight is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you might get!

I’m glad you did so well. I wish you many happy board feet :-)

-- -- Neil

View bigike's profile

bigike

now make some saw dust and great projects. over all they have machines that get the job done just like name brand products, i have a few tools from them and they are good to go. I had them for a few years now too. Good Luck with the saw, just to make shure it’s all good check everything in a month or so.

-- Ike, Big Daddies Woodshop, http://www.icombadaniels@yahoo.com

View jack1's profile

jack1

1907 posts in 2623 days

Looks like a great deal. I wish my craftsman had a 3hp sometime.

-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!

I’ve always been leery of their table saws for fear that they would be non standard… I have several large tools from them, Band Saw, Jet JWL1236 clone lathe, dust collector, and so far I have gotten great service from all of them. Admittedly I added some features to the band saw that I really wanted, but didn’t come with it…

No durability problems yet…

The folks that own the HF equipment are usually very happy with it. Every now and then you get a dud, but you typically find out very quickly if you bought a dud… And the return policy is very good…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

Great reveiw, way to take a chance, $575 is a lot to gamble, but it seems you won. Thanks for posting

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View eddy's profile

eddy

926 posts in 1960 days

i have seen this saw on ther eweb site many times and always woundered if it was any good or not
from what you say sounds like you got a great deal
congrats ob the new saw

-- self proclaimed copycat

View degoose's profile

degoose

6967 posts in 1950 days

Hey there Lisa, Good score.. I only wish that deals like that were availabe down under… oh well the downside of living in ’’Gods own country’’... lol… may you cut much wood with it….

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

Thanks all.
I will be making dust over my four day weekend starting tomorrow.
I will keep an update if I have any problems or issues with the TS.
Can’t wait to get started : )

-- Imagination rules the world. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte ~ http://quiltedwood.com

View stefang's profile (online now)

stefang

12528 posts in 1930 days

Congrats on your good buy Lisa. I’m sure it’s at least as good as my inexpensive stuff that I’ve been using the last 14 years. Enjoy!

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

Looks like a great saw. Congratulations on your purchase.
HF has a 20% off coupon in some of the magazines. It’s good for any item that already doesn’t have a coupon. No double couponing.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

You got yourself a super deal. you couldn’t do any or much better with Grizzly or jet or some Deltas.
All you need now is Freud saw blade.

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

Hah,
Bought the new Freud blade, great minds think alike!
I’ve been cutting lumber for drawers and shelves…still organizing. So far I love this saw.
Forgot to mention in the original post,
I upgraded from a Ryobi BTS21 contracators saw. Which I made many modifications to to cut decently.

The Central Machinery Saw came with 2 inserts, regular blade cut and a dado cut insert.

View Viking's profile

Viking

Lisa;

Your HF table saw sure looks a lot like the Steel City 35618 which is also manufactured in China.

Good Luck with it.