Jet 6" joiner

Review by DougZ posted 11-13-2018 10:59 AM 961 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jet 6"  joiner No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased this joiner new in 2016 and like the 8’ version it came in two boxes. Although I did not have to mess with the motor or electric as you explained. Two people are needed to properly and safely assemble the unit. Take your time as there are many steps. Once completed the unit works flawlessly. It has a 4” dust port and soft wood produce bigger chips than hard woods. I am a Jet guy and have several pieces off this brand in my shop. Safety is always necessary in both operating any machinery as well as knowing the wood your working with.

-- Douglas, Virginia

View DougZ's profile

DougZ

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#1 posted 11-13-2018 04:15 PM

I have the same model. It has performed flawlessly for almost 20 years.

-- I always knew I would grow old, But I expected it to take longer!

View Rich's profile

Rich

#2 posted 11-14-2018 04:43 AM

I have the same model. It has performed flawlessly for almost 20 years.

- fivecodys

Ditto. I bought mine locally back in around 2000 and brought the two boxes home in my 1985 Mazda Rx7 GSL-SE. I managed to assemble it by myself too. Just a matter of assembling it on its side and then lifting it up.

Great little jointer.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

#3 posted 11-16-2018 09:21 PM

I have the same model, my only complaint is I can’t take a fine cut, I’d like to take a 1/16” or lighter but It won’t allow me to

View Rich's profile

Rich

#4 posted 11-16-2018 09:41 PM

I have the same model, my only complaint is I can t take a fine cut, I d like to take a 1/16” or lighter but It won t allow me to

- Jacksdad

It sounds like something’s not set up right (see below). I use a Oneway Multi-gauge to set the offset of the in feed to the out feed (the blades are level with the out feed of course), and keep it set most of the time to 1/64” (0.016). If I have irregular boards that require a lot of material to be removed I’ll crank it up to 1/16”, but almost never higher.

Here’s something to check. There’s a round knob about the size of a marble on the back on in feed side. Pull it and see if you can turn the handle to raise the in feed bed higher for a shallower cut. You might have to lower it first if the bed has the pin frozen. It engages automatically when you go down towards 1/8” and you have to pull it outwards to get back.

View ScottStewart's profile

ScottStewart

#5 posted 11-17-2018 04:14 PM

I had one of these that I never could get the tables coplanar. Was unable ever get it dialed in and eventually sold it in frustration.