Good for a Black & Decker

Review by funchuck posted 1676 days ago 2238 views 0 times favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good for a Black & Decker Good for a Black & Decker No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This was my first real drill. I know Black & Decker gets a lot of knocks here, but it really wasn’t too bad a drill. I’ve had this drill for probably 5 years. I’ve done a lot of home improvements with it. This includes:

• Installation of a new garage door opener
  • Putting up a patio lattice made of all pressure treated lumber (6×8s, 4×8x, 4×4s, 2×6s)
  • Various wood working projects (mostly shelves and storage).

I have used it to drill 3” screws into pressure treated wood. Mine came with 2 batteries and they last a long time. In fact, I don’t remember ever running down both batteries the same day.

The biggest problem with this drill is the wobbly chuck. As you can see in the picture, one of the “features” of this drill is that you can put a drill bit in the chuck, then, when you drill the pilot hole, you can take off the chuck to reveal a driver to drive the screw in. It is a very useful feature, but the wobbly chuck makes it difficult to get accurate and straight holes.

The black & decker also seems to be fragile, especially where it links to the chuck. Luckily, I have never dropped the drill, so I am not sure if it is fragile or not.

I have since upgraded to a Makita 18v drill. The Makita is much lighter and stronger. The chuck is also solid. As for battery life, they both seem equal.

But, after using the Makita, I don’t think the Black & Decker was too bad. I would actually give it 3.5 stars.

View gbvinc's profile

gbvinc

I have used one of these for the last 5 years also. Works pretty well and mine doesn’t wobble. I also have one without the removable nose cone, and recently dropped it. Your suspicions are correct, it sprang loose where it links to the chuck. Strangely enough, I also have a Makita set…lthey work exceptionally well, and in my opinion are more confortable to use.

View ericandcandi's profile

ericandcandi

Fair tool as I have one myself. Only real problem with mine is that the chuck won’t grip strongly enough.

-- ericandcandi in Louisiana- Home of the "LSU Tigers"

View Rustic's profile

Rustic

I have the 24 volt cordless hammer drill and use it exclusivley

-- www.carvingandturningsbyrick.com, Rick Kruse, Grand Rapids, MI

funchuck

gbvinc – What a coincidence! But yes, I love that Makita set. I’m waiting to have some more projects under my belt before reviewing it though. I bought it when they had the promotion for a free tool. I ended up with the right angle drill.

ericandcandi – Yes, I forgot about that issue. Mine is similar, although I don’t notice it anymore because I switched to using those hex shanked drill bits.

View Dennis Fletcher's profile

Dennis Fletcher

I have had this drill for the last 5 years also. I bought 1 drill, the same drill and it burned up within 2 weeks. I figured I used it incorrectly and got another a month later because I already had 2 batteries and a charger, so this would allow me to have 2 chargers and 4 batteries. Like I said, that was 5 years ago.

I use this on every job I do, which is a lot. It isn’t that fragile, as it often falls in the back of my truck when I forget to put it in it’s rightful place. The chuck does allow the bit to come loose at times, but not enough to be a hindrance.

I have went through 3 batteries in a day, but only in the last year, so I would say they are pretty good.

-- http://www.ahomespecialist.net, Making design and application one. †

View Xtreme90's profile

Xtreme90

I also own this same drill, had it for about 4 years now and love it! My chuck is still in really good shape. Thousands of screws my B&D has drived. Hey let’s not knock B&D after all they bought dewalt.

-- "I don't cut wood. I machine it!" G.M. The wood machinest

View Dennis Fletcher's profile

Dennis Fletcher

I don’t know, I’ve not had the luck with deWalt that I have had with B&D.
My favorites are Makita & Hitachi, DeWalt does not even enter the list.

-- http://www.ahomespecialist.net, Making design and application one. †

funchuck

Dennis – Wow, I have always thought highly of Dewalt tools. I have heard their new lithium ion drill isn’t so good though. I agree on the Makita. I love the Makitas I have. I will have to check out the Hitachi tools.

View davefoc's profile

davefoc

Well, what do you know, I’ve had mine for about five years also. We’re renovating an old apartment building and this drill has been heavily used on almost a daily basis. I’ve replaced the batteries (by buying tools that come with batteries usually) but other than that it just keeps on working. I like the removable chuck but maybe not everybody will.

I’ve dropped it several times, the last time from a five foot ladder on to concrete. I thought that was the end, because the case split open a little. I shoved it back together and it works fine despite the drop.

The downside is that B & D has discontinued the entire Firestorm line and they may be moving more toward lower end tools. If that’s true, it’s too bad. B & D has not only made quality tools, some of them are pretty ingenious like their laser level.