Purple Power cleaner is great for cleaning blades & bits

Review by shawnn posted 11-09-2018 03:15 PM 607 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Purple Power cleaner is great for cleaning blades & bits No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I choked when I saw the price of some of the specialty products for blade/bit cleaning, being poor (cheap!), so I tried other common cleaners. I tried Simple Green, some orange stuff and other household cleaning products and nothing compared to Purple Power cleaner/degreaser. $5 a GALLON and it’ll clean everything just test first for color fastness. I’ll trade a bit of elbow grease to save cash, and with this stuff not much elbow grease is required. I spritz some on, let it sit a few minutes, then hit it with a brass or nylon brush and even the heaviest of pitch or resin comes right off. I suggest you try it before buying the high dollar products.

#1 posted 11-09-2018 04:29 PM

Good to know. The Purple color Simple Green works great as well.

View sawdustjunkie's profile

sawdustjunkie

#2 posted 11-09-2018 08:17 PM

I mix simple Green 50/50 with hot water. Put in a $1 oil pan from the dollar store ans set my table saw blades in it for a few minutes. The pitch comes right off with a old tooth brush. Then rinse the blade off with hot water and wipe it down. Stuff works great

-- Steve: Franklin, WI

#3 posted 11-09-2018 09:29 PM

I like the Purple Power better than Simple Green but if it works good for you that’s great. I just salvaged some discarded cookie sheets for the same purpose. The unbelievable part is that the LOML actually threw away something – even after buying new ones!

View Rich's profile

Rich

#4 posted 11-09-2018 09:52 PM

There are rumblings in some forums that the green Simple Green can damage carbide and to use the purple instead. Seems far fetched to me, but nonetheless, I’ll avoid it since there are other options available.

I’ll definitely get the Purple Power next time since it’s less expensive than the Simple Green purple version. Besides, we all know green and purple clash.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View eflanders's profile

eflanders

312 posts in 2023 days

#5 posted 11-13-2018 06:18 PM

I’ve been a fan of the purple stuff for a couple of years now. I’ve never had an issues with it other than also removing the paint when I’ve soaked the blade too long.

#6 posted 11-14-2018 02:59 PM

I ve been a fan of the purple stuff for a couple of years now. I ve never had an issues with it other than also removing the paint when I ve soaked the blade too long.

- eflanders

That’s why I said to check for color fastness in my OP. I’m using it to clean a Foley Belsaw planer that I’m rehabbing and see paint color on the towels. No biggie since I’m repainting it but wanted to let everyone know before someone winds up with a faded or dull spot on a tool.