How could they even sell this?

Review by funchuck posted 1651 days ago 4853 views 0 times favorited 18 comments Add to Favorites Watch
How could they even sell this? No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I was very excited to order this. A 10” Jointer/Planer for only $420? That’s a great deal! And it’s a JET!

Well, when it arrived, it looked like the box had been through hell. The top and bottom flaps were opened, the stand was missing, and all the nuts, bolts and washers were scattered all over the place.

I was ok with the missing stand, since I had an extra stand from an old Delta table saw I can use. I just had to make sure none of the other parts were missing. I proceeded to put the thing together and found I was missing a few things. I took note of the missing items so I could call JET the next day.

I get everything unpacked. The machine is not too heavy. The box says everything together weighs around 90 lbs.

I raise the infeed table on the jointer to check coplaner. Nope, it is off… way off, the front end of the infeed is about 1/8” low. So I check the manual to see how it is corrected, but there is no mention on how to correct this… ok, I add this to my list to call JET.

Now, I check the fence to see if it is flat… it is warped very badly. There is at least an 1/16” gap in the middle of the fence. ok, I add this to my list to call JET.

The next day, I call JET. The customer service rep is very nice and they send me the missing parts. They also send me instructions on how to adjust the tables to make them coplaner. For the fence, they want me to use a straightedge with a guaranteed accuracy, and some feeler gauges to measure the fence warp. I do not have these things, so they want me to go out and buy something to test their product? I can use a plastic ruler and see that it is warped! No feeler gauges necessary! Otherwise, they will not send a replacement. Luckily, my neighbor had a straightedge from Lee Valley that was guaranteed to something like 0.003”, so I used it and put a stack of feeler guages underneath to find out how off it was. It turned out to be off by 0.09”.

I also followed the instructions to make the tables coplaner. The outfeed table is not built like a regular planer where it travels on dovetailed ways. The outfeed is attached by screws at 4 points. 2 points (one on each side) near the cutterhead and 2 points (again, one on each side) near the end of the machine. You adjust the outfeed by the amount of play in the bolt holes. To adjust, I loosen the bolts near the end of the machine and pivot the table up/down. I was able to get it coplaner. Unfortunately, when I got it coplaner, the outfeed table is too low. When coplaner, my outfeed sat slightly above the cutterhead, but below the knives, so it was unusable. Because the outfeed can only pivot and not go up or down, I cannot fix this. The next day I returned it.

I probably spent close to 20 hours trying to get this to work, but it was a no go for me.

I ended up buying a Delta TP305 planer from Lowes on clearance and a Grizzly 6” jointer. It was a little more expensive, but both of these tools were much more superior to the JET.

When I set up my Grizzly jointer, it was obviously a better machine. Everything was dead on. The tables were coplaner, and can be adjusted. The fence was cast iron and flat. 3 blades in the cutterhead vs 2, the Grizzly included a mobile base, and if you include the shipping, the Grizzly was only a little more.

View StephenSC's profile

StephenSC

Thanks for the write up. I need a jointer and was looking at this to replace my planer/add jointer. I know now to look elsewhere. Nothing more aggravating than junk tools

-- Stephen, Riverside. If it's worth building, it's worth making it real heavy.

View FatScratch's profile

FatScratch

189 posts in 1905 days

I am really glad I didn’t get this. I was just completing my essential woodworking machines last year when this hit the market. Being newer to woodworking, this really would have been a frustration. I purchased the Ridgid jointer and a Dewalt planer, for about twice the cost; but from this review it sounds like I saved 10 times the frustration. I was looking at this unit last week in Woodcraft, they finally had one on display, and it seems pretty flimsy and light for what should be a precision machine.

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

There are a few of us that had decent results with the combo planer/jointer bench model. A few things I noticed before picking up the 8 inch version is that the most dissatisfied group had the 10 inch version. Not sure if the issue is related to the manufacturing process for the larger model or the fact that the same motor drives both (which an extra 2 inches on a board makes a big difference on the motor). I had alot of issues setting the knives up when I first got it and would get alot of chatter. Runs pretty good now and was definitely a learning process. Your machine choices are wise and you will probably be happier with the separate machines. I plan on buying the ridgid jointer and planer in the future. In the interim, this model will work for me and I will just use it for short boards when it is replaced.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

When you think about it, this Jet tool does not make sense – a planner and a jointer for less than the cost of most good table top planners.

I also have a Grizzly 6” jointer and it was virtually perfect the day I set it up and it still is.

View jim C's profile

jim C

I guess my question is, why did you accept delivery when the box looked like it went through “hell” ?
And I would have stopped assembly when I saw the stand was missing and bolts were all over the place.

Anyway it stil does not explain why the unit was unusable with warped tables.. What a disaster.

A friend of mine gave me a 12” Jet bandsaw for nothing and the few things I’ve cut with it were less than satisfactory. I haven’t had a chance to “tune it up” but I fear when I do, I’m not going to be happy. So far it’s no better than a cheap Delta benchtop bandsaw I bought for $100.00
In the spring I’m going to buy a quality bandsaw I can resaw with.

Anyone with bandsaw suggestions?

I think I’ll steer clear of Jet products.

funchuck

David – I did read the reviews on Amazon before purchasing and saw that the 8” model does get better reviews than the 10”. They both seemed almost exactly the same. I figured that the most dissatisfied users are most likely to post reviews, whereas the users who had everything working were less likely to post reviews. I decided to take the chance based on the JET name and the fact that it would be perfect for a guy like me. I wanted something smaller and cheaper. I am only a hobbyist, so I did not want to spend too much. This whole experience led me to really appreciate the Grizzly jointer even more.

Jim – When i got home from work, the package was left at my front door. There was no option to deny the delivery. I had to drag the box into my garage, being careful not to lose any small parts (not easy since it was dark outside).

Personally, I would buy a JET again. Not because of this experience, which was awful, but because I found that JET customer service is very good. I get to speak to a person in the USA and they don’t seem to be reading off scripted responses. Though, it did bother me that the representative wanted me to use a guaranteed straightedge and feeler gauges to measure the warp in the fence. I was lucky I was able to do that without having to buy it. What I have learned is that I should trust the reviews out there more.

-- Charles from California

View Rick  Dennington's profile (online now)

Rick Dennington

Greetings: I’m really glad I read this review on the Jet product. I was getting ready to buy the Jet 22-44 drum sander, but now I don’t know….. Seems like here lately I’ve been reading a lot of bad stuff on Jet tools.
Makes me leary to not only pass on Jet, but almost every tool anymore. There’s only one tool I’ve been able to count on to be right so far….... Delta. But now days, it’s a crap-shoot. I’m lucky I got good tools when I did. So…...... I think I’ll hold off for awhile, and stick with my ROS and palm sander. I know I can count on them, even with a little elbo grease…..... lol. keep on keeping on…................. later.

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

I was also considering this tool as my next major purchase. I was questioning how they were able to sell a combo unit for less money than one good tool.
I am a big fan of JET , owning a 3hp cabinet saw , 14” bandsaw , Dust Collector w/ cartridge filter , a drill press , and also a mortising machine. I guess I’ll hold off on the combo machine until I hear some better reviews . Thank you very much : )

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

If one reads the pulse day after day, it doesn’t take long to see a few patterns.

1. Low Cost = Low Quality.
2. Their is a trend for many (most?) companies to reduce their quality over time.

-- Joe

View RedShirt013's profile

RedShirt013

Jet does sell a 12” combo jointer/planer that got some good reviews. Thes smaller ones are clearly something aimed at hobbists and for that price there are bound to be some scarifices. Still from your review seems like the engineering could be a lot better

-- Ed

View CharlesNeil's profile

CharlesNeil

Joe and every one , I couldnt agree more , what i often see is a product starts out well, this unit for example, I actually did a review on this tool when it was first introduced , it was outstanding, all things considered, it was coplaner out of the box, set up was quick and easy and it did a super job, couldnt have ask for more, since then i have had several emails conserning the coplaner issue, I know jet has gone to great lengths to try to avoid these issues, but then again, considering they are made overseas or where ever , seems after the inital production gets going, things change , dissapointing to say the least , but I have dealt with enough product evaluations to know these companies do not want these type of issues , profit margins on anything that has a cord is so low, any returns can hurt badly, just shipping alone can be a killer, then comes the other side , if they cant make it cheap it wont sell, but i will say this, i see alot of quality reduction all around, everyone is trying to lower cost, which means lowering quality , its going to be a tough go for some time to come I am afraid , so guys , please check out the reviews and like this , if you have an issue alert others… I really hope this unit survives , because it sure fills a need ,

View Jeremy's profile

Jeremy

74 posts in 1933 days

Ok, fellas…I have the 10” with stand and love it…I could see this tool suckin’ out if it were used commericially 8 hours a day 7 days a week…I don’t think it would with stand that kind of abuse. It did take me about 2 weeks to get it set up but I’ve had it for a year now and does everything I ask it to…Maybe I’m stickin’ my neck out where it doesn’t belong but as a weekend and summer warrior, it works pretty nice. Maybe I just suck at this stuff…

-- Jeremy, Rochester, NY

View Tim's profile

Tim

Thanks for the review, I was minutes from pulling the trigger on this combo. I’m thinking the 8” maybe the better bet for a combo machine, the reviews are far superior for the 8”.

Sorry you had to go through this but thanks for sharing.

-- Tim - Austin, TX

funchuck

Jeremy – You got lucky. I wish mine worked out. There is a need for a combo machine like this. I did not want to buy a big 270 lbs jointer and a lunchbox planer. I’m a hobbyist and I would rather have both in one package so I can maximize my small space. I did not use mine commerciallly or anything. Actually, I only ran a few test boards through it to see if it worked. Like CharlesNeil said, I think the first units sold were good, but the later units were not. I bought mine around mid Dec 2009, so it was pretty recent.

View pauldeo's profile

pauldeo

18 posts in 1928 days

Apparently no one else is going to say it, so I will…..Just what exactly did you think you were going to get, from Jet or anyone else, for $420 for a 10” Jointer/Planer combo that weighs 90lbs?