It's a mallet, but a really good one.

Review by Mike Lingenfelter posted 02-12-2008 06:00 AM 4298 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
It's a mallet, but a really good one. It's a mallet, but a really good one. It's a mallet, but a really good one. Click the pictures to enlarge them

Recently I started looking for a mallet for chopping mortises and dovetails. I looked at a lot of different mallets. I never really liked the traditional mallets like this one. When I looked at them in the stores, they always seemed too big for their weight. Not too long ago Christopher Schwarz talked about this mallet on his blog. He talked about the same things I didn’t like about these type of mallets. He then came across this mallet and it was different. They make these mallets and then soak them in linseed oil to give them more weight. The mallet is “heavy” for its size and is comfortable to use. I have been using the mallet to clean up some mortises for my new workbench. It has been a pleasure to use.

www.dilegnosupply.com

View rikkor's profile

rikkor

#1 posted 02-12-2008 12:22 PM

I made a couple from oak. I wish I would have tried the linseed oil technique. They are finished now, so it is too late. Thanks for the review.

View Tomcat1066's profile

Tomcat1066

#2 posted 02-12-2008 04:32 PM

I read that same blog entry, and have been toying with the idea of getting one of these if my Lee Valley mallet doesn’t work out.

Good review!

-- "Give me your poor tools, your tired steel, your huddled masses of rust." Yep, I ripped off the Statue of Liberty. That's how I roll!

#3 posted 02-12-2008 04:34 PM

I’ve also been looking at the Lee Valley mallet, you can never have enough mallets :).

View GaryK's profile

GaryK

#4 posted 02-12-2008 05:41 PM

Mike – I thought that was “you can never have enough clamps”

Why haven’t you tried to make one? It would allow you to get exactly what you want.

#5 posted 02-12-2008 05:54 PM

The better answer is “you can never have enough tools” :).

I really haven’t had the time to make my own. At about $25 I felt it was a better investment. I don’t think I could have achieve the same results, unless I had bucket of linseed oil to soak it in.

View sharad's profile

sharad

#6 posted 02-12-2008 06:08 PM

A very nice mallet. I always thought mallettes are round.
Sharad

-- “If someone feels that they had never made a mistake in their life, then it means they have never tried a new thing in their life”.-Albert Einstein

View Dean J's profile

Dean J

#7 posted 08-13-2010 06:22 AM

This is a really old thread, but wanted to add my $0.02; the owner of Dilegno supply is my woodworking instructor.

The mallets are soaked in linseed oil for a minimum of a month, become more durable, and most importantly, have a much better weight and heft to them.

From my experience, they seem to gain about 4-8 oz of weight in the head of the mallet, which makes it easier to use, but not so heavy that it’s inaccurate.