Deck demolition tool

Review by LesB posted 11-01-2018 04:45 PM 599 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Deck demolition tool Deck demolition tool No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I recently decided to replace my 1200 square foot, 22 year old, cedar deck with low maintenance composition decking so I searched for a tool to remove the old deck. I found several tools of similar design but I chose this particular tool because of the nail pulling cleats on the end of each pry lever. The tool straddles the deck joists (up to 3.5” wide) and the 44 inch handle makes prying the deck boards almost effortless. If you have ever tried to extract 3” galvanized nails from pressure treated wood you will understand how much work it can be. The nail cleats made extracting the occasional nail that pulled through the soft cedar a snap. Hooking the nail with one of the cleats and pulling sideways popped them right out. Because I wanted to save as much of the old cedar as possible for other projects like planter boxes I worked up and down the boards at each nail point to loosening them a little at a time and being able to do this standing up was a great asset and really saved my back and knees.
I can see using this tool in other applications like lifting heavy objects such as doors during installation, leveling cabinets, and for other demolition projects.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#1 posted 11-02-2018 03:06 PM

Looks like quite the beast…

I like it.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

#2 posted 11-04-2018 01:21 PM

I love this tool. Wish I had one of these years ago when I had a 12X24 foot deck that I rebuilt! Any chance of it breaking where the working part meets the handle? It looks pretty secure. Is that welded around or just crimped?

Do you mind telling us how much that cost? Looks like a great back-saver! Not a back-breaker.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

#3 posted 11-04-2018 05:24 PM

The tool is welded and so far shows no sign of weakness. You can’t see the weld in the picture because there is a strip of metal wrapped around the weld to make a smooth rocker action during the levering process.I guess there is always a chance of breaking. The price was in the neighborhood of $70.

View Dubbs's profile

Dubbs

#4 posted 11-05-2018 05:47 AM

I need one of those for taking apart pallets! Where’d you buy it ?

-- —— Bruce Hicks ——-

#5 posted 11-05-2018 05:29 PM

I need one of those for taking apart pallets! Where’d you buy it ?

- Dubbs

Check Amazon, they have it.