Make the Ferrari of shooting boards

Review by ColonelTravis posted 10-29-2018 10:22 PM 1346 views 0 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Make the Ferrari of shooting boards No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I’ve been using a totally handmade shooting board that’s worked fine (although it didn’t work great for 45s but that was my fault.) In the near future, I have some things to make that require odd angles, and I didn’t know off hand how I was going to do that, plus my 45s were not coming out right without constant adjustments, so when I saw this fence for the first time I said – screw it, I’m buying this thing.

The fence has only been available for a few months, as I write this. Something like that. Came out end of summer, I think. Basically bought it sight unseen, which is a first for me and tools. I like to know what others think about an item before spending money. I’ve seen no official review in any magazine or online site, only a little bit of info. on another wood site from someone who bought the whole Veritas shooting board and had some trouble but got it sorted out with Lee Valley. I only bought the fence and made the rest myself.

Does this fence do anything you couldn’t make yourself? No. But it makes it brainless and fun to use. There are indentations in a plate for these angles: 0°, 18°, 22.5°, 25.7°, 30°, 36°, 45° and 60°. The settings will lock down hard. The fence will not move when you’re shooting. This thing is well made. If you need any other angle, you can set it manually and line it up with the zero marker. Oh yeah – good luck with that.

The only thing I do not like is the zero gauge, which is impossible to read without Superman-like vision. There is barely any contrast to the lines. Looks like the darkest pencil lead on a black background. Gee, thanks. You can’t see it well in normal light, I don’t wear glasses and I had to put on a jeweler’s magnifying visor to line the marks up to zero when first setting it up. In the photo above you can see how absurd it is to try to read, and this is after enhancing it in Photoshop, and you still can’t even see the lines in the photo. How does something like this get out the door? I have no idea.

Veritas – fix this nonsense.

The good thing is that you don’t have to rely on the zero gauge except when you first screw the fence into your board – or, if you shoot using weird angles, and at that point you’re gonna need laser eye surgery, jacking up the price of your shooting board by several thousand dollars.

Otherwise, I can find no flaws. It is a super helper in the shop. Instructions for installing are clear, I had no issues. Bottom line – fence is amazing.

Instant 90 degree square.

Instant 45 degree square

This is two parts of a picture frame sitting side-by-side. When you push them together like in a glue-up, it is seamless.

Again, I must stress – this fence is a luxury item. It comes with knurled brass knobs so you can add your own wood sub-fence. Who has ever made their own shooting board and used brass knobs for their sub-fence? That’s right – no one. It just makes it so easy to change it out once it wears down. (This photo is not how the knobs go on the fence, I’m just showing the knobs themselves.)

The fence alone retails for a little more than $100. If you want to buy your entire shooting board from Veritas, it will cost twice that. Is that worth it to you? I can’t answer that question. All I can say is that the fence was worth it for me because I use hand tools almost exclusively. I don’t have a dedicated shooting plane, I use a LA Jack and added a couple strips of UHMW tape to the track so the plane glides better.

I now have the best shooting board I’ve ever owned and ever will own. It ain’t the prettiest, not gonna get into how I screwed up attaching a piece of hardwood to the edge of the plywood. Let’s face it: I’m an idiot. But guess what? Don’t care and don’t feel like doing it again. The stuff that comes off this board is dead-on accurate every single time.

View theoldfart's profile

theoldfart

#1 posted 10-30-2018 12:34 AM

CT, thanks for the review. Guess I’m going to “modify” my budget for next month. I do have a dedicated shoot plane so I should be i good shape.

-- "With every tool obtained, there is another that is needed" DonW ( Kevin )

View Hazem's profile

Hazem

#2 posted 10-30-2018 01:05 PM

I’ve been waiting for someone to review this. Thanks.

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

#3 posted 10-30-2018 01:32 PM

I have been pleased with mine as well (I got the whole board+fence). I’ve been thinking about picking up just the track as well for making a miter shooting board

-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN - http://www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods - http://www.TheModsquito.com

View waho6o9's profile

waho6o9

#4 posted 10-30-2018 03:15 PM

I appreciate the review ColonelTravis thank you.

View Paul66's profile

Paul66

#5 posted 10-30-2018 06:49 PM

@ColonelTravis
I think you should contact Veritas and/or Lee Valley and get a replacement “zero scale”.
It should have much better visibility/contrast than the one you show.

Here’s is what mine looks like

#6 posted 10-30-2018 08:07 PM

Paul, thanks. I can see yours so much better, I will do that.

#7 posted 10-31-2018 04:32 PM

LV is sending a new zero plate, I sent them a photo and they said it definitely should not look like that.
Thanks again, Paul.

Glad it worked out

View Manitario's profile

Manitario

#9 posted 10-31-2018 09:27 PM

Thanks for the review. Have been looking at this and thinking that it probably works way better than the terrible shooting board I built.

-- Sometimes the creative process requires foul language. -- Charles Neil

View Andre's profile

Andre

2131 posts in 1979 days

#10 posted 11-01-2018 12:30 AM

Looking at mine, the zero plate looks like yours, think I will just stamp an indent bar. Haven’t been in the shop for a week, feeling guilty:)

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View CooperDBM's profile

CooperDBM

#11 posted 11-01-2018 01:25 AM

The lines on my zero plate are a dull silver colour (like graphite) on black. Depending on the light they show up nicely from one angle and invisible from another.

-- Dave, Ottawa, ON

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#12 posted 11-01-2018 11:50 AM

just a head’s up, if you buy the track, make sure your plane will fit it. The dimensions are very specific.

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

#13 posted 11-03-2018 06:37 PM

Veritas makes great stuff, I’ll have to get one also

View RPhillips's profile

RPhillips

1233 posts in 2009 days

#14 posted 11-14-2018 08:17 PM

Thank for the review. I’ve been thinking about this since it was released, now I know what the wife will be buying me this for Christmas!

-- Rob - Indianapolis IN - Learning... one mistake at a time...