Not a bad little mini-driver but would look for the TEK4 version

Review by David Craig posted 01-19-2010 05:00 PM 3187 views 0 times favorited 12 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Not a bad little mini-driver but would look for the TEK4 version No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have been looking for a mini-driver that I could put in my pocket for small tasks around the shop and assembly work. I have the Ridgid 18v cordless for the larger tasks but it is sometimes a pain in the hip (literally) to have on my holster. Since I pre-drill all my holes before adding fasteners, I just needed a light duty driver for screws. This would give me the flexibility of having a drill already prepped with a bit for drilling and another set for driving. I didn’t want to invest a lot of money, as I have other higher priority tool purchases, so I picked up the Ryobi 4v model.

This unit has some nice features. It has rubberized grips, a keyless 1/4” quick chuck, has a 12 position chuck, and at 45 lbs of torque, it does a decent job at driving screws. You are not going to build a deck with it, but that is not its purpose. It is small and light enough to keep in my pocket and has come in handy for overhead work (driving screws for electrical boxes) in my basement. The real limitation I see in this particular model is the charge time. It takes 5 hours to do a full charge when empty and the battery is enclosed so there is no swapping for extra batteries when it dies. Fortunately, it is lithium-ion and can be charged for refreshes in between jobs. I haven’t drained it yet, it is estimated to drive about 50+ screws (give or take, depending on screw size) and I don’t run into too many projects that would require that much fastening non-stop.

After purchase, I noticed that Ryobi had released another version of this under its TEK4 line. The kit came with a pair of snips as a free add on. The big advantage I see with the TEK4 model is the ability to swap batteries and if one invested in other TEK4 products, one could also purchase the quick charger which would reduce charge time to 30 minutes. While I am satisfied with the model, I would purchase the TEK4 if I had it to do over again. If you are looking for more torque and are willing to pay the price, you might want to look to Bosch for their mini-driver.

David

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#1 posted 01-19-2010 05:22 PM

Thanks for the review!

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View Tim Dahn's profile

Tim Dahn

#2 posted 01-19-2010 06:16 PM

I have this for the endless amount of access panel screws on equipment I work on, the battery goes and goes and goes, after a year and a half, charge three times. Does not seem to loose a charge when not in use.

-- Good judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

#3 posted 01-19-2010 08:11 PM

Great review, Thank You.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View JerryS's profile

JerryS

#4 posted 01-20-2010 05:24 AM

Nice review on a handie little driver . HD just had the newer model on sale , $49 it came with the snips , headphones , LED flashlight , power pack , one extra battery and the charger . The snips are just as handie .

#5 posted 01-20-2010 03:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback, it is a handy little item. Jerry, I seen the HD deal for 90+ dollars in my email. It is a five piece set with all the extras you mentioned. Did you see it this cheap at a store? If so, I wouldn’t have paused but picked it up immediately.

#6 posted 01-20-2010 05:50 PM

“45 lbs of torque,” ?? pounds or INCH pounds of torque ?

#7 posted 01-20-2010 06:27 PM

inch pounds. I will address the typo with the editor :)

#8 posted 01-21-2010 03:27 AM

LOL : ) I just got the Makita 10.8 volt Li-Ion…..haven’t used it enough yet to write a review on it , but out of the box it is pretty awesome and beats trying to use a larger model in tight spaces. It came with a belt loop holster as well , and has a nice little lamp up front so you can see what you’re doing without dragging additional lighting along with you : )

View jp93274's profile

jp93274

#9 posted 01-25-2010 12:09 AM

Just a Heads up the 5 Piece Tek4 (includes drill,snips,phone/ipod charger, flashlight2 batts, and charger for $49.99 and the $27.00 “fast dual charger” is $10 at home depot!

-- I Now Bleed Orange! Thank You HD For the Clearance Sale!

#10 posted 01-25-2010 06:57 AM

thanks for the heads up. Good price, considering the phones alone are usually 70.

#11 posted 01-25-2010 07:38 AM

thanks for the review

View JNelson's profile

JNelson

18 posts in 2002 days

#12 posted 01-27-2010 07:01 PM

Just a heads up like jp93274 said, here is a link to the tek4 5 piece set (headphones, snippers, AWESOME flashlight, drill, backup power source, 2 batteries, and charger) at Home depot for $49.99 with free shipping. I also bought this set and from what I can tell it’s worth it for the headphones and flashlighth alone. LINK