Drum Sander

Review by Jarrhead posted 10-25-2018 12:52 PM 945 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Drum Sander Drum Sander No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Been wanting to add a drum sander to the shop for many years. Shopped hard for a decent used one on craigslist. There were some options out there in the used market, but they were either too big for my needs, or too expensive for their condition. I finally got prodded to take action by a project I started that involved some spalted wood. I found some gorgeous spalted tamarind for the carcase of a jewelry box I am making. Unfortunately, because of the spunky nature of the spalted wood, no matter how slight a cut I made with the planer while dimensioning that lumber, it created a bit of tearout. The only way I was going to get that wood smooth enough to use on this project was with a drum sander. I couldn’t really justify the size or expense of 24-25” machine. I rarely do panels, or anything that would require that kind of width. What I needed was a way to bring single boards the last few thousands of an inch without any machine induced surface blemish. This little Grizzly G0716 10” drum sander looks like it will fill the bill. According to the reviews I read, the one common knock on this machine as shipped from Grizzly is that the stand is too short. So, before I assembled it, I built a riser block for it out of 2×6”s and plywood. I have run a very small test piece and the results were as expected. The machine shipped with 80 grit paper installed. It is pretty aggressive, and a little too course for my applications, so I plan to replace it with 120 or 150. For the price, considering what some of the competitive models are selling for, I think this machine is a good bargain. I expect it will allow me to save a lot of figured wood that I otherwise would have been challenged to make use of.

-- trn2wud

View Jarrhead's profile

Jarrhead

View WoodenDreams's profile

WoodenDreams

#1 posted 10-25-2018 04:46 PM

Would like to see a updated review on the feed belt, after 3 or 6 months of use. verses the feedback on Grizzlys’ website. I sand a lot of 5 1/2”x 6”x8” long boards for specialty purposes. Does this unit look like I could modify it to feed a 5 1/2” or 6” thickness.

View wncguy's profile

wncguy

#2 posted 10-26-2018 05:11 PM

WoodenDreams –
I’ve had this sander for about 3 years. The thickness calibration guide has max height of about 3”. Perhaps you might be able to push it a little higher, but no way on 5-6”.
Also I see no way to modify the unit to achieve that amount.

Getting belt tracking was a hassel & belt still slips on me if I’m taking a little more than 1/64 off.

I don’t use it a lot, but wish I’d spent more money to buy a more robust unit.

-- Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Dad

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

#3 posted 10-27-2018 04:45 PM

Most people use 120 grit on their drum sanders

View TechTeacher04's profile

TechTeacher04

#4 posted 10-30-2018 02:30 PM

Grit depends on the amount of material to be removed or the severity of the surface blemishes.

High grit creates an incredible amount of heat due to the small particulate size. Finer grits require smaller “cuts” of the material. I have had good luck with 80 and 120 followed by the same grit on a random orbit sander, then progressing to the final desired finishing grit. 80 can also be followed with card scraper, then jumping to 120 or 150 depending on the material.

Resinous woods require constant cleaning of the paper with a rubber sandpaper cleaner or they will glaze and then burn your material.

As a point of reference my experience is with a Jet 16-32 with smart sand.

View Andybb's profile

Andybb

#5 posted 11-02-2018 09:11 PM

To me grit depends on the purpose intended. If it is being used as a thickness reducer then 80 or even 60 or less is what I use. If I’m trying to get something that is already flat super smooth then 120-150 is my choice. Since changing paper is a pain I usually just keep 80 grit on then follow up with a ROS to my final desired finish. As TechTeacher implied above I find it best to use whatever grit I’ve got in the drum sander on my ROS to start with then progress from there. Skipping grits is never a good idea for a good smooth finish.

PS – I can never remember when somebody says “higher grit” if “higher” means smoother or rougher.

-- Andy - Seattle USA