Adapter that will transform your HF lathe

Review by David Craig posted 1654 days ago 4131 views 4 times favorited 4 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Adapter that will transform your HF lathe No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

A friend of mine gave me a Harbor Freight last year to help support my interest in turning. It isn’t a bad beginner lathe and I am definitely not one to complain about such a thoughtful gift, but I did find the mounting and remounting of turned pieces on a faceplate frustrating over time. The lathe has a proprietary 3/4 inch x 10tpi spindle which makes purchasing 3rd party vendor chucks nearly impossible. I recently discovered, though, that Penn State Industries manufactures adapters for these strange spindle sizes and my Harbor Freight lathe is one of them.

I ordered the adapter as well as the CUG3418CCX 4 jaw lathe chuck (right now it includes a free set of jumbo jaws making it a pretty complete chuck package) and both arrived today. I can only speak for the adapter at present as I still have to put the chuck through some turnings.

The adapter came boxed and well packaged and the internal and external threads were clean cut. There were no abnormalities and the unit was very solid and had some heft. I had no trouble attaching the adapter to the lathe, nor to the chuck. When I turned the lathe on, the whole unit looked well balance. There was no visible wobble, even though the chuck had some substantial weight to it. The unit retails for around 17 bucks at the penn state site but can be purchased from Amazon for under 14 dollars with free shipping on an order over 25 dollars.

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

View jerryo's profile

jerryo

Thanks for the review Dave. I also have a HF lathe and was wondering if i could buy replacment parts for it.
dave what model do you have? I have the 40 inch one. Jerry

112001 posts in 2181 days

Thanks for the review David

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

I have the 45276. Which is the 40 inch model. This particular model has a proprietary 3/4 10TPI headstock which makes it impossible to use 3rd party chucks on. Until I found this adapter. It has really helped me turn a lathe that was close to useless to a pretty decent lathe for small projects.

A couple things I can add. I weighted the HF lathe stand with plywood and cinderblocks. This has helped keep it solid to the floor. You will need to elevate the tailstock about 1/4 inch in order to center it on anything attached to the adapter due to the increased size. I shim mine with hardwood.

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View WoodArtbyJR's profile

WoodArtbyJR

David, I know this blog is almost a year old but wanted to insert my 2 cents. I also bought an adapter from PSI when my craftsman lath went TU and replaced it with a Grizzly. All the chucks were for a craftsman and didn’t fit my Grizzly. PSI to the rescue. I also did my research on Amazon and also found it to be cheaper that way. Whenever I purchase something online I always check and compare Amazon. I have to look at the free shipping but also add in the tax as Amazon is a WA company and charges me sales tax, but in the long run Amazon is usually a better deal.

Jim