IGAGING digital angle cube

Review by cliffton posted 01-19-2010 02:11 AM 8121 views 1 time favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
IGAGING digital angle cube IGAGING digital angle cube IGAGING digital angle cube Click the pictures to enlarge them

I bought this from Rockler about a week ago, it was on sale for 10$ cheaper than the wixey, so i figured why not, if it sucks i can return it. So far I have to say this thing rocks.
Pros:
-has really strong magnets in it, wont slip at all off of a highly polished blade.
-cheaper than wixey
-has hold button for odd position angles
-numbers auto flip when you turn it upside down to make it easier to read
-takes a 9v battery
-has magnets on 3 sides ( i dont know if the wixey does)
-has machined metal body, the weight will kinda surprise you, probly why the magnets are so strong.
-comes with a screw driver to take the back off to change the battery

Cons:
-I think that Igaging is the manufacturer but honestly who knows

seems like a real solid piece of kit so far, the box says it has a .05 resolution and .1 accuracy. so far i believe it.

View Routerisstillmyname's profile

Routerisstillmyname

#1 posted 01-19-2010 04:03 AM

I have the wixey and to me it was waste of $$$. I have height gauge by Igaging and it seems more solid and accurate.
my wixey is all over the place. Harbor Freight also has digital angle gauge item 95998.

Personally, I don’t trust any angle gauge for accurate 90 degree or angle settings. If they were accurate within 0.001 then that would be somewhat acceptable but as it stands……
I would recommend reading the article by tablesawalignment.com

-- Router è ancora il mio nome.

#2 posted 01-19-2010 04:54 PM

.001 degree? I read a experiment that someone did with one of these that showed they were accurate to .001 in 12 inches a bit ago. close enough for me.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#3 posted 01-19-2010 07:09 PM

All
I have the Wixey angle gauge, and since I am not at home (watching the sun come up over Haleakala on Maui) I cannot check the magnets etc. But it seems to me it will stick on all 4 sides. I used it during the alignment of my TS and RAS. But I didn’t depend on it. I used other methods, and then crosschecked it with the angle gauge. The angle gauge seemed to agree exactly with other methods. So best I could tell, it is probably good enough for alignment, and certainly seemed precise enough for cuts. The claimed accuracy is 0.1 degree.

I would use it during alignment only to crosscheck other methods. However, for woodcutting purposes it seems more than adequate.

This is an interesting analysis of the Wixey angle gauge and comparing it to a TS-Aligner:
Wixey Angle Gauge Review

......and another, but not quite as technical…....
Wixey Angle Gauge Review

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View shopmania's profile

shopmania

#4 posted 01-19-2010 09:41 PM

I got this for Christmas from Rockler b/c it was on sale. I used it to verify the angle of my TS blade when I was cutting at 45 degrees. It is really slick and feels very solid. The magnets are great! rechecking the same angles I would say it is quite accurate. The zeroing feature is very nice, so if your table top is out a little you can sero to your table top and make sure whatever is sitting on it is parallel. Nice unit.

-- Tim, Myrtle Beach, DrTim@ONeillChiro.com- Just one more tool, that's all I need! :)

View Jeison's profile

Jeison

#5 posted 01-20-2010 11:42 AM

I bought one of these on sale, love it, was a great investment, plenty accurate for my needs. I also found its great for setting up my chisels in the honing jig and making sure the angle is dead on.

-- - Jei, Rockford IL - When in doubt, spray it with WD-40 and wrap it with duct tape. The details will attend to themselves.

View RobFM's profile

RobFM

#6 posted 01-28-2010 07:17 PM

I have the Wixey and have been looking for something better. Mine never worked very well as the reading bounced all over and was often several degrees off. Tap the top lightly and the reading would change. I tried it again yesterday and it would not show any reasonable numbers. Maybe I just got a bad one, but it is total junk. I also have Wixey calipers and those are much better.

So, other than trial and error, how do other people set the blade angle on a table saw? For 4 sided boxes, I start by using a 45% triangle, but find that I cannot get a really good square mitre without several trial cuts and adjustments.

#7 posted 02-10-2010 02:48 AM

rob, before i got my angle gauge, i always used a speed square, even the cheap ones are usually dead accurate.

#8 posted 02-10-2010 03:54 AM