Grizzy G1021x2 15" Helical Planer - Initial impressions review

Review by edapp posted 10-22-2018 12:53 PM 843 views 2 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Grizzy G1021x2 15" Helical Planer - Initial impressions review Grizzy G1021x2 15" Helical Planer - Initial impressions review Grizzy G1021x2 15" Helical Planer - Initial impressions review Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is another one of those “I just got the tool” reviews, but there is so little information out there about this planer I thought this might be helpful to some…

Grizzly offers a few 15” planers, and more than one with helical cutterheads. I chose this one because it wasnt made in China (no tariff fee) and because the cutterheads are curved and set at a 30 degree angle. their other option, G0453, is made in china and uses straight inserts that are parallel to the rotating cutterhead. This machine, with a 10% discount code, was delivered to me for just under $2,000.

When the planer showed up it was clearly not secured to the pallet, and had nearly walked itself off the pallet during transit:

Upon removing the crate and packing materials, I confirmed that it was in no way bolted or secured to the pallet, and this thing is a little top heavy. I was already feeling a little nervous about the purchase and the hassle to return it if it was damaged. Turns out there was no damage!

I walked it off the pallet and onto a Rocker “All Terrain” mobile base which I will review separately.

There is very little assembly required, but quite a bit of fine adjustment.

SETUP ADVICE:
Install the tables last! I installed them first, and it made all the measurements/adjustments under the head a little more difficult to get at.
Also,
Consider the cost of a Rotacator into the price of the planer. You will need one to properly set the height of the in-feed, out-feed, cutterhead, bed rollers, and measure the side to side/front to back squareness of the head to the table. Doing this with a straightedge/block and feeler gauge would not be as accurate and would take significantly longer. With the rotacator, I was able to get the left and right sides of the cutterhead to within .001 of eachother, and each of the other adjustments to within .001 of their recommended setting. Great tool, the rotacator, but I cant believe how expensive they are and I have no use for mine now.

My impressions of the planer at this point are extremely positive. The carbide inserts are extremely sharp, the cut quality is fantastic (though hard to show in a picture). There is no scallop, no waves or cut marks whatsoever. There are no impressions from the out-feed roller (which is steel, but smooth… no teeth to mark the board). Dust Collection works extremely well, and no chips have ended up on the table or have been pressed into the board by the out-feed roller.

I purchased the machine mainly to be able to mill QSWO without tear out around grain changes, and think that this will do the job extremely well. The test boards I have run come out feeling glass smooth, and makes me want to turn the cutters on my Byrd cutterhead in my jointer. Measuring with calipers confirmed on a 10” wide board that each side was the same thickness (to .001) and that there was no measurable snipe at either end.

I specifically measured for snipe because the manual suggests raising the bed rollers above the height of the table (barely, .002 over table height) and I was skeptical of this. I think I overestimated what that .002 would do…No snipe so far, even on short boards. My initial plan was to leave them under the table but it appears they do their job just fine.

I plan to update this review at a later date, but so far I couldn’t be happier with the machine. It does exactly what I wanted it to do, and the cut quality is fantastic.

Thanks for reading!

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

#1 posted 10-23-2018 02:28 PM

Usually the “I just got this tool” reviews really put me off but most of them you can tell they haven’t even turned the thing on yet. It’s like, how do you know it’s five stars if you haven’t even put a board through the darn thing yet! I can tell you put enough time into setting up your new planer and running a few boards through before writing this, so thank you for putting the effort in before sharing. I’m sure glad you didn’t have any damage, can’t believe they didn’t secure that thing to the pallet! Hope you enjoy your new toy and please do update as this one may be on my list in the future.

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

#2 posted 10-23-2018 04:31 PM

I rarely enjoy them either, because usually its blind happiness of receiving the tool or justifying the $ spent (or harping on a minute issue with the item or seller).

However, I could find nearly zero information on this planer when I was researching it. Apparently it was offered several years ago by Grizzly, and then discontinued, and then just recently offered again. After a call and conversation with the folks at grizzly, it seemed to be to be the better machine VS their more popular 15” planer. Therefore, I thought this additional information would be helpful. Not necessary a review… but information.

Will update with a real “review” in a year or so.

View phillywoodshop's profile

phillywoodshop

#3 posted 10-29-2018 12:30 PM

thanks for this review, been looking for info on this planer, too

the griz site says that the outfeed roller has mini serrated:

“Front power feed roller is metal and spiral serrated. Rear power feed roller is metal and minutely straight serrated”

are there outfeed lines in the second lumber image above? wondering what your experience has been since initial impression

thanks for the detail on the spiral cutterhead, too

many thanks

#4 posted 10-29-2018 12:39 PM

I will check again tonight…. but the out-feed roller felt very smooth if I recall. Smooth enough that i did not have to time it to get a good measurement on the rotacator.

I milled probably 25 board feed over the weekend for an upcoming project and continue to be impressed with the machine. It will tear out of you feed the the board in the wrong direction, but using common sense and taking an appropriate depth of cut leaves an impressive finish. Gave my dewalt 734 to my father in law, and do not miss that screamer!

View Sunstealer73's profile

Sunstealer73

#5 posted 10-31-2018 02:17 AM

Thanks for the review, I just ordered one and it sounds like a good choice. I’m also replacing a 734 that is so loud and has issues with QSWO.