English pattern mortising chisels

Review by ShannonRogers posted 01-18-2010 10:23 PM 2808 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
English pattern mortising chisels No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received a 1/4 and 3/8” of these chisels for Christmas and it is a revelation on mortising. These are fantastic additions to my tool chest and I may just walk away from power mortising for good because of them. Read my full review of features on my blog here.

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at www.renaissancewoodworker.com

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

View jason's profile

jason

33 posts in 2061 days

#1 posted 01-18-2010 11:32 PM

I have the 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 sizes. I agree with you, these chisels are sweet. I am still amazed how fast I can hand cut a mortise with one of these babies.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 01-19-2010 04:41 AM

these look fantastic. and I agree- anything from Tools from Working wood is good quality.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#3 posted 01-19-2010 07:33 PM

Thanks for the review, interesting chisels.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View TheGravedigger's profile

TheGravedigger

#4 posted 12-01-2010 02:19 PM

I’m with you Shannon. I own the same pair and love them. I’ve never owned a tool before where the instructions include the phrase, “strike as hard as you can with a mallet.”

The handle on my first 3/8” one broke within a few days of receiving it, but Tools for Working Wood replaced it immediately – even before I had returned the broken one! How’s that for service?

I have indeed, by and large, given up machine mortising. The speed of these chisels is amazing. The old folks really knew what they were doing.

-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#5 posted 12-01-2010 03:39 PM

Those are beautiful mortising chisels. Thanks for the review.