English pattern mortising chisels

Review by ShannonRogers posted 01-18-2010 10:23 PM 3726 views 1 time favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch
English pattern mortising chisels No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I received a 1/4 and 3/8” of these chisels for Christmas and it is a revelation on mortising. These are fantastic additions to my tool chest and I may just walk away from power mortising for good because of them. Read my full review of features on my blog here.

-- The Hand Tool School is Open for Business! Check out my blog and podcast "The Renaissance Woodworker" at www.renaissancewoodworker.com

View ShannonRogers's profile

ShannonRogers

View jason's profile

jason

#1 posted 01-18-2010 11:32 PM

I have the 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 sizes. I agree with you, these chisels are sweet. I am still amazed how fast I can hand cut a mortise with one of these babies.

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

#2 posted 01-19-2010 04:41 AM

these look fantastic. and I agree- anything from Tools from Working wood is good quality.

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View Jim Bertelson's profile

Jim Bertelson

#3 posted 01-19-2010 07:33 PM

Thanks for the review, interesting chisels.

-- Jim, Anchorage Alaska

View TheGravedigger's profile

TheGravedigger

#4 posted 12-01-2010 02:19 PM

I’m with you Shannon. I own the same pair and love them. I’ve never owned a tool before where the instructions include the phrase, “strike as hard as you can with a mallet.”

The handle on my first 3/8” one broke within a few days of receiving it, but Tools for Working Wood replaced it immediately – even before I had returned the broken one! How’s that for service?

I have indeed, by and large, given up machine mortising. The speed of these chisels is amazing. The old folks really knew what they were doing.

-- Robert - Visit my woodworking blog: http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com

View helluvawreck's profile

helluvawreck

#5 posted 12-01-2010 03:39 PM

Those are beautiful mortising chisels. Thanks for the review.

-- helluvawreck aka Charles, http://woodworkingexpo.wordpress.com