vonHanke Branding Iron

Review by CL810 posted 10-15-2018 03:02 PM 684 views 0 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch
vonHanke Branding Iron No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I had been thinking about purchasing a branding iron when I stumbled on a thread about electric vs non-electric branding irons. I was quite surprised to see the last post from Martin vonHanke offering a branding iron to the first responder willing to write a review. After visiting his website I decided to take him up on his offer.

Martin was quick to mention that I should write an honest review; if there was anything I didn’t like to report it. And I will, though it is minor.

Service & Support: 5 Stars. I received my iron 3 days after giving final approval of the design. Martin has an etsy store . Between the very fast response time delivering the iron and design assistance it is easy to give him 5 stars.

Product Quality: 5 Stars. When I first saw the proposed logo I was concerned about the fine detail blurring when burned into the wood. But those concerns were quickly put to rest.

The above picture was taken after practicing with the electrically heated iron for about 10 minutes. After more experimenting I realized that I stumbled onto the right setting the first time. The wood scraps used were, starting from the top, cherry, poplar, walnut and hard maple. Time spent experimenting with the settings and different wood is time well spent. I learned I preferred a slower burn at a lower setting than the fast burn at the maximum setting.

My only suggestion for improving the iron is to move the rheostat further from the handle. When using the iron, the control wants to hang down and hit the hot iron. I will easily fix my iron by installing a new cord with the rheostat further from the handle. This may be a personal preference, others may not find it to be an issue at all. All in all it is a minor issue and that is why I still give the iron 5 Stars.

I heated the non-electric iron on my electric stove by simply setting the iron on the heating element. I find this method to be simpler than the electric iron and just as quick. The iron is easier to use without the cord.

I have no reservations recommending the vonHanke Branding Iron. Contact me via private messaging if you have any questions you would like to discuss privately.

-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR

View CL810's profile

CL810

View Mosquito's profile

Mosquito

#1 posted 10-15-2018 03:25 PM

Ha, this was actually one that I had bookmarked on Etsy for if/when I ever got around to getting one for myself. Glad to hear that you like it, and just based on the picture, and my experience with similar things, I would tend to agree on the regulator/rheostat. Results look good though

-- Mos - Twin Cities, MN - http://www.youtube.com/MosquitoMods - http://www.TheModsquito.com

View CharlieK's profile

CharlieK

#2 posted 10-15-2018 03:39 PM

Those look great!

-- Adjustable Height Workbench Plans http://www.Jack-Bench.com

View Ocelot's profile

Ocelot

#3 posted 10-15-2018 04:01 PM

Those look like they work well. I had not thought of heating my iron on the kitchen stove.

-Paul

View EarlS's profile

EarlS

#4 posted 10-15-2018 04:48 PM

How does the price compare to other branding irons?

View CL810's profile

CL810

#5 posted 10-15-2018 07:39 PM

Earl, it’s kinda hard to say without researching based on your size and your preference for electric or non-electric. But when I ball parked it for me I found vonHanke’s prices to be less or comparable even including the shipping.

How does the price compare to other branding irons?

- EarlS

View vonHanke's profile

vonHanke

#6 posted 10-15-2018 08:00 PM

Hello to everybody,
thank the CL810 for a nice review.

The branding iron for the CL810 user. The size was 3.5 centimeters = 1.378 inches.
Version for heating by gas burner or electric stove (good idea) 113,6USD
Electric heating version with power regulation 135,2USD
Standard shipping 22USD delivery 1-5 weeks without tracking
Or express shipping 44USD delivery 2-4 days
Production time 1-3 days. For extremely large pieces (greater than 5×5 inches), the production time is 3-5 days.

Martin (vonHanke)

Martin (von Hanke)

View RodRod's profile

RodRod

#7 posted 10-24-2018 04:11 PM

Let me add to this review by letting you know that Martin (vonHanke) responded to my request for a quote in minutes and took my crude drawing and made it look incredible only 15-20 minutes after I sent it to him. Once I give final approval I will post again with another update. So far, I totally agree with the 5 Star review posted by CL810

-Rod