Sequential Cyclone, can't be matched

Review by steffen707 posted 10-02-2018 02:09 AM 904 views 1 time favorited 9 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Sequential Cyclone, can't be matched No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I read the dewalt planer would overpower normal shop vacs and had enough power to blow the chips into the cyclone. While this was kinda true, it struggled with the shopvac hooked up to the top port of the cyclone and not turned on.

So i just hooked a hose up to the top port, it worked a lot better, but when the 30 gallon can I had fills up, it of course happens in the middle of a pass. So half a pass worth of fluff gets blown all over the shop or driveway…....

SOLUTION?

I daisy chained 2 cyclones together with the shopvac assisting the dewalt planer. Worked like a dream!!!

First cyclone was put on this 30 gallon barrel i bought off amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025QI4XC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 with a $45 dust deputy from Menards. This didn’t come with any gaskets, bolts, hoses ect.

I bought a 4 pack of 12” cork tiles ($5 from menards) and made two gaskets for above and below the can, used 5/16” bolts to secure it to the lid. I haven’t had any issues with the barrel crushing like some have reported.

That feeds my other dust deputy kit with 5 gallon can, and my normal 4HP shop vac assisting.

This setup has an 8 foot 2.5” hose from planer to 30 gal can, and another 8 foot 2.5” hose to the second cyclone. This gives plenty of space to move things out of the way, and reach another electrical outlet. This setup is perfect for a small shop, or non woodworking dedicated shop! When the 30 gal gets full, i can finish my last pass and all the excess is in the 5 gallon can, not clogging up my shopvac filter.

I put the 30 gallon blue barrel inside my rubbermaid Brute 32 gallon on a Rubbermaid dolly.

When the barrel is full, I pull it out of the brute, put a 45 garbage bag on the brute. Pour the 5 gallon can into that first to try and weigh down the bag, try to take excess air out of the bag next to the can, then pour the 30 gallon into it. I find that it compacts a bit and I can fit both cans into the 32 gallon brute can. This does create some of a mess pouring the fluff into a bag; however, much less than a non sequential setup. I tried putting a bag inside the 30 gallon drum, but it would only fill up 10-15 gallons….....not sure if i can remedy that.

-- If you think it will take a week and cost $100, it will take a month and cost $400.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#1 posted 10-02-2018 05:02 AM

The more I look at your set up the more I think some how it was starved for air since the high restriction of the outlet ….. this is a theory that I cannot prove without more testing I just do not understand why you did not just put the hose directly into the barrel

I have never need a setup like this for mine but the blower is really strong in the unit itself and if it was restricted I do see how that might cause the whole unit to overheat

#2 posted 10-02-2018 12:28 PM

- playingwithmywood

This isn’t the setup I had when the planer motor died.

#3 posted 10-02-2018 12:35 PM

I tried the hose directly into the barrel, when the barrel gets full mid pass, it blows a bunch of dust all over the shop.

2nd attempt, I read the planer is too powerful to hook up to a shopvac, so I put into the barrel and then to shopvac, but didn’t turn on the shopvac, probably had a lot of backpressure., I was taking too much material off per pass and motor died.

3rd setup, sequential cyclones with shopvac turned on. 30gallon barrel gets full, rest of dust goes to smaller 5gallon cyclone and I only did max 1/2 turn on planer per pass. No dust all over garage, new planer motor stayed cool.

View playingwithmywood's profile

playingwithmywood

#4 posted 10-03-2018 05:40 AM

This isn t the setup I had when the planer motor died.

- steffen707

Interesting Thanks

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#5 posted 10-03-2018 11:03 AM

Bottom line is that you adjusted by adding resistance with small flex pipe and cyclones.

#6 posted 10-03-2018 01:01 PM

- Redoak49

Well I added resistance with two cyclones and 16’ of hose, but then decreased resistance by turning on the shopvac. I sent details and pictures to Oneida, they said the setup looked good. Who knows, I didn’t test the pressure drop or anything, but it works really well so I’m going to keep using it.

View smitdog's profile

smitdog

#7 posted 10-04-2018 02:41 PM

Are you still running a filter in the shopvac or does this setup allow you to remove the filter to gain a little flow back?

-- Jarrett - Mount Vernon, Ohio

#8 posted 10-04-2018 03:25 PM

- smitdog

I still have the filter in the shopvac; however, i probably could remove it if I wanted to.

I didn’t see any problems with keeping up with the planer, so I don’t think you would need to remove the filter. Also the filter protects the shopvac motor, doesn’t it?

View htl's profile

htl

#9 posted 10-14-2018 07:19 PM

Very interesting and I like it. LOL
I used to run two small cyclones in tandem and it got the job done.
Sounds like we’re coming close to one of Tim the tool mans projects. [and again I like it!!! LOL]

-- An Index Of My Model making Blogs here on Lumber Jocks.. http://lumberjocks.com/htl/blog/116729