Disappointed by this lathe

Review by cathyb posted 09-28-2018 06:04 AM 7854 views 0 times favorited 44 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Disappointed by this lathe Disappointed by this lathe No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

One month ago my Laguna 18/36 lathe arrived and I was excited. My previous lathe was from General Tools. It did not have any bells or whistles, but it was a dependable workhorse and I wish I had that lathe now.

These are the problems I have experience so far with the Laguna:

1. If dust or small chips get wedged in the banjo clamp handle it will not lock in place. Take the time to brush off the dust and get the dang thing to hold in position on the bed. Really?

2. Same problem with the tool rest handle. Today, for the first time, the tool rest dropped down while I was turning a spindle. For all their bragging of these great locks, my General lathe never lost grip on the banjo handle or the tool rest handle. Never!!

3. If dust or small chips can get into the shut off switch, so you can’t turn it off without using the emergency shut off switch, which resets the on and off switch. This is a design flaw.

4. The machine at times decides what speed it thinks you should run. I don’t want to go faster than the speed set before I chuck my wood in place!

5. Biggest pet peeve is you cannot work on the lathe, except for spinning wood. It will not hold the LOCK position. This is awful and it is the one failure that would have turned me against this lathe in the first place.

I wish I had not purchased this lathe and I hope I have saved one of you from making the same mistake.

View Druid's profile

Druid

1910 posts in 2997 days

#1 posted 09-28-2018 06:39 AM

Hi Cathy, That’s not good news, and I’m sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble with your new lathe. I really would expect much better performance from a Laguna product. I would suggest contacting your Laguna area manager to see what they will do for you.

-- John, British Columbia, Canada

View oldrivers's profile

oldrivers

#2 posted 09-28-2018 11:00 AM

Sorry to hear such bad news, I am considering a new Lathe, but will avoid this brand. Keep us posted on how Laguna handles this issue. They should make things right and compensate you for you anguish as well.

-- Soli Deo gloria!

View Al Breit's profile

Al Breit

64 posts in 2095 days

#3 posted 09-28-2018 01:08 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and bad experiences with the new machine, I now know Laguna will not be on the top of my new machine list.
Will be interesting to see if Laguna will do anything for you to fix the problem and have a happy customer.

-- Al Breit "A day without sawdust is like a day without sunshine"

View Bill Commerford's profile

Bill Commerford

#4 posted 09-28-2018 01:13 PM

Sorry to hear you are so disappointed with your Laguna. I have had my 18/36 for almost 2 years, use it almost every day,now and have had not trouble at all. I do keep the worst of the chips blown off. I have noticed it is very easy to accidentally change the speed setting when reaching for the stop switch. The spindle lock I found a work around by fastening a short piece of dowel to a horseshoe magnet. It will hold the red button down. Just be sure to release before starting lathe !

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#5 posted 09-28-2018 02:22 PM

this is very sad to hear seems like its not just this company but all of them are making horrible quality tools at a high price if I was you I would let them know why you are NOT HAPPY :<((((((((((((((

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#6 posted 09-28-2018 03:32 PM

I’m sorry to hear of your displeasure with your lathe. I have a Harbor Freight (HF) lathe. It’s no Laguna, but at least I don’t have your problems. I consider HF tools, works in progress. I can make modifications to improve their performance. Maybe you can do the same with your Laguna.

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#7 posted 09-28-2018 03:40 PM

I m sorry to hear of your displeasure with your lathe. I have a Harbor Freight (HF) lathe. It s no Laguna, but at least I don t have your problems. I consider HF tools, works in progress. I can make modifications to improve their performance. Maybe you can do the same with your Laguna.

- MrRon

for that much money she should NOT have to modify it :<((((((((((((

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

#8 posted 09-28-2018 05:23 PM

Thank you guys for your comments. If I had never had another lathe, maybe I would not be so upset. Since I paid a bundle of money for this thing, I had expectations of a top of the line tool with no flaws. Of course, I am going to have dust and chips flying. Didn’t they consider this when they designed it. Honestly, the first time I couldn’t turn it off because the buttons get stuck, I was dumbfounded. Thankfully, the emergency shut off works (so far). I should not have to rig up a way to keep the lock button to stay depressed, but I will until I find someone to buy this lathe. A lathe is an inherently dangerous tool. This one, with it’s flaws, is even more dangerous. The dropping of the tool rest support yesterday in the middle of turning at 1200 rpms was really the last straw for me. Fortunately I did not get hurt, but what an eye opening experience and an absolutely unnecessary issue. This would have NEVER happened on the General. Once you had the tool rest tight on the General it did not loosen until you manually changed positions.
I will definitely unload this tool. You all know that our tools are great, but anyone of them can cause an injury. If you can’t trust a tool, it’s just a matter of time until something bad happens.

Have a good out there…

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#9 posted 09-28-2018 07:32 PM

What a major bummer…. and I’m sure Laguna isn’t even going to consider letting you send it back from Hawaii on their dime.

After all these years, they still don’t seem to have their act together.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#10 posted 09-28-2018 08:44 PM

Have you contacted Laguna and what did they say?

I had a different Laguna tool and had a problem and called and got great help. They even called back two hours later to make certain everything was ok..

#11 posted 09-29-2018 02:54 AM

So sad to hear this has occurred. I have a coworker that is having the same issues. Early this summer he found a slightly used one (less than a year old) for sale, it came with all the bells and whistles, including lights, the extended bed, chucks and tools. He purchased it from a lady who’s husband had been transferred and he would not be able to take his shop with him to their new home. He started using it that Saturday and has the same issues. He has spoken to Laguna and they have been less than helpful. Customer service says that it is due to inadequate dust collection and that since he is not the original purchaser they are not able to assist with the 2 year warranty.

-- Norman - I never never make a mistake, I just change the design.

#12 posted 09-29-2018 05:50 AM

Hi Norman,

Of course, blame the customer for the design flaw. It is ridiculous. I don’t want a new on/off switch, the same issue would result. I am not going to retrofit this thing with an after the market tool rest. This calls for a trip to the mainland for a tool show. I want to see the other lathes out there and find a suitable replacement, before I put this thing up for sale. Geez….

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#13 posted 09-29-2018 01:01 PM

Laguna appears to have customer service issues & it appears off and on in reviews. Unfortunaely they just bought sawstop, so it will interesting to see how sawstop owners who got great customer service, fair now. sorry for your troubles..it just ain’t right.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#14 posted 09-29-2018 01:18 PM

Laguna did not buy Sawstop. TTS Tooltechnic Systems bought Sawstop and they also own Festool.

View MrRon's profile

MrRon

#15 posted 09-29-2018 05:19 PM

- MrRon

for that much money she should NOT have to modify it :<((((((((((((

- GR8HUNTER

I wasn’t trying to imply that she try to fix anything that was “broken” or the result of poor design; rather things that can easily be fixed easily without any cost needed. Major issues should be referred to the company and be returned according to warranty. I know you take a risk when buying anything on line, but it is often the only way to get the item. When I make a major purchase, I buy locally and if it is not available locally, I shop for it used. I prefer “old iron” over new.