JET 708315BTC 10" Bench top Table Saw

Review by Viktor posted 1658 days ago 16382 views 1 time favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
JET 708315BTC 10" Bench top Table Saw No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

JET 708315BTC 10” Bench top Table Saw
Price $250+

When I set off to find a budget and more importantly compact saw, I went through lots of online reviews and ratings. It surprised me that many people pay $200-$300 and expect a professional fine tuned cabinet saw jump right out of the box. Then they give poor rating without even bothering to set riving knife correctly or check blade alignment.

I look at it this way: There are things that you can modify, fix or adjust (flimsy fence, blade alignment, etc.), and there are thing that you can do little about (motor life span, excessive vibration, etc.)

With this in mind belt drive transmission on JET 708315BTC was a selling point.
This is the only compact bench top saw that I am aware of, which has a belt drive transmission and induction(?) motor. Typically portable saws use direct drive universal motors – essentially a circular saw mounted under a table. Belt drive decreases vibration, noise, extends motor’s life, and improves cut precision.

The saw arrived well packed almost fully assembled, all parts in place without any damage. The manual is well written and illustrated, instructions cover wide range of issues.

Most of online complains were about flimsy fence. I did not expect much from a budget tool, but the fence turned out fine. Not that it was sturdy, but it wasn’t worth than half a dozen fences I tried at store displays on similarly priced models. In fact the only decent fence that I’ve seen on a portable saw was on Rigid, and it better be for $600. The fence aligned pretty parallel to meter slots and almost did not wobble when locked. There was another problem. Its main body, an aluminum rectangular tube, was out of square in cross section. It has thin walls and can be squared using vice. It seems that all budget fences have the same design and same flaw in the locking mechanism on the far side of the fence. I already have few ideas how to modify it. Anyway, you can always clamp a block of wood to he table to use as a fence. Another problem is the fence can not be moved closer than 0.5” to the left side of the blade). The riving knife bracket gets on the way. The right side is OK. Not a big deal, use a spacer block if you need your fence very close and on the left.

The manual said that the blade was aligned with the table at the factory… Well, it wasn’t and somehow I wasn’t surprised. The alignment was a pain. I had to partially remove front panel to reach to the nuts that hold the pivot rod underneath the table. It was a trial and error task of flipping the saw over, tightening bolts, flipping back, measuring the distance, and all over again. Finally, I set the saw so I could take measurements while it was upside down. Still tricky, but I guess I won’t need to do it often. The bolts that hold the pivot rod are permanently attached (stamped in) to the table and their heads can be seen on the top in recesses. You only unscrew the nuts from the bottom and slide the bearing back and forth for adjustment. It would be much better (and at no extra manufacturing cost) to make it the other way around.

Meter gauge was too loose in the slots (nothing new here). This is easy to fix by wrapping the bottom and sides of the runner in plastic or metallic tape. Meter slots were little rough, also an easy fix with sandpaper. On the bright side they were parallel to each other! Get this the other budget saws!

Blade insert sits slightly lower than the table. I’ll have to place some spacers to lift it. Or most likely I’ll make a new zero clearance insert. This could be tricky though because of the way the flanges that support the insert are designed.

The saw came with outfeed support and a side extension table (another model comes with two side tables). Nothing special, quite sturdy and do the job. Any of the supports can be mounted on any of the three sides of the table if needed. The spacing between extension rods is the same.

The base feels sturdy and its rubber feet keep it in place without need for clamping the saw to something (at least when cutting medium size pieces of lumber).

The saw starts smoothly and is not loud. I was happy how test cuts came out (Jet 36T all purpose blade that came with the saw). Smooth, plenty of power. Perhaps not glue ready smooth, but very decent. I took a poplar board and made several slices that measured 2” x 48” and 0.05” thick (just a way to test the saw). The thickness was consistent though the entire length and width. I could make veneer on it!

Dust control is nonexistent. There is the same saw but on tall legs that comes with a dust pan and a vacuum port, but not this one. Everything was covered with dust. I may have to make some kind of shroud around the blade to suck out the dust or work outside.

Overall I give the saw 5 stars. Although there was a list of problems, keep in mind that this is a budget tool, hence the expectations were placed accordingly. Most of the issues were minor and fixable. The most important thing is the quality of the cut and it was good.

View Viktor's profile

Viktor

447 posts in 2023 days

View PurpLev's profile

PurpLev

good review.

at some point I was looking into that saw as I was looking for a budget saw and liked the fact that this one had belt driven motor – indeed, the only portable saw with such drive system.

it does have limitations with the non standard miter slots, the smaller table, and aluminum parts, but as you said – for it’s purpose and for being small and portable I think it’s a very good saw. congratulations on your purchase!

-- ㊍ When in doubt - There is no doubt - Go the safer route.

View leroy49's profile

leroy49

19 posts in 2034 days

I have the version of the saw with two extension wings and a base. It’s my first table saw, but it seems to cut everything I’ve thrown at it. My only complaints include the fence, the non-standard miter slots and the difficulty adjusting the blade. I think it is the best saw at it’s price range.

View bradley's profile

bradley

I am a professional remodeling carpenter with a small truck that I must carry all my tools in.
I bought this saw first because of the belt drive, and second because of the small footprint.
It was the only saw in its class that I found with a belt drive.
If you have ever burnt out a motor in a “traditional” compact table saw you know the advantages.
It is quiet, accurate and probably the best portable table saw I have owned.
Tough enough to take the daily grind of production construction and made well enough to deliver consistent cuts.
I mounted it on a Hitachi stand after that saw failed.
No beef with Hitachi but their table saw sucked.
I have the 8.5 compound miter, a coil nailer and had a finish nailer also and they all performed flawlessly.
This is a very solid saw for it’s price.
I would recommend it for home users and professionals.
It is not a cabinet saw, but a saw that does what it is supposed to for a very reasonable price.

View David Craig's profile

David Craig

Good review and I liked the emphasis on reasonable expectation. When I look at reviews on other sites, I have to take negative comments with a grain of salt. How was it used? and what expectation did you have? Well done and I am glad you are having so much success with your purchase.

David

-- There is little that is simple when it comes to making a simple box.

View knotscott's profile

knotscott

5372 posts in 1980 days

Great review Viktor. A point of clarification though…this saw is belt driven but has a universal motor…it has brushes (which is something you’ll want to check periodically).

It sounds like it’d be worth putting a better blade on…maybe a good bang for the buck like the Freud Diablo D1040, D1050, Ridgid Titanium R1050, CMT P10050 (256.050.10), DeWalt Precision Trim DW7140PT or DW7150PT…you’d certainly get glue ready edges from any of those blades if the saw is aligned well.

Congrats on the new saw!

View dustyal's profile

dustyal

1195 posts in 2080 days

I must have missed this when I was reviewing saws as I was looking for a belt drive… I settled for a $200 Ridgid 4516 that compares except for the direct drive. The Ridgid has dust collection, that helps.

You are right, don’t expect a professional cabinet saw at this price range. But with a little tuning, they cut okay.

-- Al H. - small shop, small projects...

View stefang's profile

stefang

12605 posts in 1939 days

Sensible folks have sensible expectations and you appear to be one of them. Congrats on your new saw.

-- Mike, an American living in Norway.

View fotomaker57's profile

fotomaker57

I purchased the same saw but it came with the metal stand and both side extensions. I have been very happy with mine. The only bummer for me is the miter gauge and slots. A little loose but workable. Thanks for sharing your review.
Mike

-- Don't Tread on me

View gardentiger's profile

gardentiger

thanks for the review

View rockfish's profile

rockfish

I was impressed wiith the belt drive, thought it would have plenty of power with a smooth operation. The first time I tried to rip a piece of poplar on edge 2” wide I burned out the motor. It was just about a year old without much use. Any heavy ripping gets done in the shop, this saw never had a hard days work. I’m in the market for a new saw, seems everything is getting cheaper. I used to get some life out of a site saw, seems less with each I buy, this is a new low. I have some good jet products in my shop. I’m not so sure I’ll ever buy anything else from them.