WorkSharp WS3000 Wide Blade Attachment Changed Everything!

Review by fivecodys posted 09-25-2018 06:25 PM 1040 views 0 times favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
WorkSharp WS3000 Wide Blade Attachment Changed Everything! WorkSharp WS3000 Wide Blade Attachment Changed Everything! No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I purchased my WorkSharp 3000 last year for the primary purpose of sharpening chisels.
It seems to do that pretty well and I was happy until I fell into the world of old hand planes.
This seemed to take forever.
I was not very happy with the results I was getting.
I had pretty much fell out of love with this machine and then I read about the wide blade attachment.
Holy cow! What a game changer!
I had this installed and ready to go in just a few minutes and with the handy guide it comes with, for setting the bevel, I was getting my irons scary sharp very quickly.
I am no longer wearing a groove in the sanding discs, I am using almost the entire disc surface area.

I think my only gripe has been that this machine should have come with this attachment right from the factory.

Anyway,
That’s my opinion. Your results may vary.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#1 posted 09-26-2018 01:36 PM

fivecodys,
Agree they are very good machines.
Agree for the initial cost the accessories should be included, but then everybody would want the knife sharpener thrown in as well!
Mind you accessories are vey expensive, dont break a platten or a belt !!

BTW what is the meaning of the name fivecodys please?

-- Regards Rob

#2 posted 09-26-2018 04:35 PM

fivecodys,
Agree they are very good machines.
Mind you accessories are vey expensive, dont break a platten or a belt !!

BTW what is the meaning of the name fivecodys please?

- robscastle

Hi Rob,

I chose this user name many years ago when all of my children were still living at home.
My last name is Cody and there were five of us so….......

View woodenwarrior's profile

woodenwarrior

#3 posted 09-26-2018 08:12 PM

I agree. I use mine with my Veritas MkII jig ( I trust its accuracy more) and the skew registration jig to sharpen my skew chisels, it makes life a lot easier.

-- Do or do not...there is no try - Master Yoda

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#4 posted 09-26-2018 10:41 PM

Got it!

-- Regards Rob

#5 posted 09-26-2018 10:48 PM

- woodenwarrior

I will have to look into that.

#6 posted 09-26-2018 10:48 PM

Oops. Posted 2X

View jdh122's profile

jdh122

#7 posted 09-28-2018 01:29 PM

Nice to know. I’ve considered getting the accessory, but always hesitated because of some complaints I read that the attachment is too hard to get coplanar with the wheel. I should probably re-consider.

-- Jeremy, in the Acadian forests

-- Life Begins @ 190 MPH

#9 posted 09-28-2018 09:55 PM

i have been looking at the worksharp 3000 for a while, is it that great, thx RJ

- RJweb

I guess that depends on what you compare it to.
I use mine for sharpening chisels and just recently, plane irons.
It is working well for me.
Before I added the wide blade attachment?......I wasn’t so happy with it.
Now?...... I’m pretty happy.

-- I always knew I would grow old, But I expected it to take longer!

View HokieKen's profile (online now)

HokieKen

#10 posted 10-03-2018 12:39 PM

I couldn’t agree more. The chisel port is my “go-to” for chisels but plane irons all go on the wide blade attachment. IMO, the guide is superior to my Veritas Mk1 or any of the other guides I’ve tried for sharpening a straight edge.

-- Kenny, SW VA, Go Hokies!!!

View NorCalQ's profile

NorCalQ

21 posts in 1977 days

#11 posted 12-09-2018 03:44 PM

Just got the WS and WBA. I was very surprised to find the table to be very flat and also easily made co-planer with the disc top. If careful, I’m able to get the guide to produce a relatively square edge on planes, however my MKII seems to do a slightly better job and I’m talking very, very slightly better.
What I’m now going to try to do is, use diamond plates on the glass. I’m a bit concerned about being able to get the table co-planer with the discs, as well as disc flatness. I’m also curious to see if there is a problem with the diamond discs loading up, what with no water to help carry away the dust.