A new way to find and track all those thread sizes in the tool shop

Review by Bob #2 posted 1652 days ago 1462 views 2 times favorited 14 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A new way to find and track all those thread sizes in the tool shop A new way to find and track all those thread sizes in the tool shop A new way to find and track all those thread sizes in the tool shop Click the pictures to enlarge them

Seems I am always lookng for a nut or bolt for a peice of geat in my shop.
Without taking a spare with me to the nut shop I am usually stubbed out with a replacement that’s eighr too big or too small.
Now all I have this to fill in the blanks for size and thread.

I’ll quaote from the excellent writeup rather than try to polish a pear.
“a plate tapped for 10 National Coarse sizes (1-64 to 1/4-20), 10 National Fine sizes (1-72 to 1/4-28) and 8 Metric Coarse sizes from M1.6 to M6.0.

But where it really excels is that it comes with knurled-head bolts in all 28 sizes. This means you can identify the thread of any tapped hole in the range simply by using these bolts to find the exact thread size.

This feature is invaluable when a bolt has been lost and the only way to determine thread is to identify the thread of the tapped hole in the item it came from. It also identifies nuts; you just flip the tapped plate over and find the matching thread on the protruding bolts.

All of this comes in a fitted wooden box to ensure accidents won’t damage the thread stock. ”
Seems I am always lookng for a nut or bolt for a peice of geat in my shop.
Now all I have this to fill in the blanks for size and thread.

I’ll quaote from the excellent writeup rather than try to polish a pear.

All of this comes in a fitted wooden box to ensure accidents won’t damage the thread stock. “

View CanadianWoodChuck's profile

CanadianWoodChuck

I saw that ad and thought that would be real handy. Did you order one or just thinking about it?

-- Canadian Wood Chuck (Bruce)

View pommy's profile

pommy

i’v looked at one of these just resently Bob i like the idea but at £ 13 + just not worth the money i just stick a wrench on the head and it tells me the size like 10mm wrench for a 6mm bolt or nut

-- cut it saw it scrap it SKPE: ANDREW.CARTER69

View Vagabondking's profile

Vagabondking

6 posts in 1912 days

I want a wrench like pommy has

Bob #2

Bruce. I picked one up on the way home tonight.
I have 3 projects for it tommorow.

Pommy that’s $13.50 $ CDN.
About 7 £ .
The 28 studs unthread so you can get I.D. as well as threading a nut on the tips.

I never get the threads right between metric , National fine and national coarse.

View Tony's profile

Tony

Hi Bob – £7 is about right + shipping about $25 + import taxes 9% + VAT 15% makes this little box quite expensive in Europe – but it is a great idea, simple but valuable tool.

-- Tony - All things are possible, just some things are more difficult than others! - SKYPE: Heron2005 (http://www.poydatjatuolit.fi)

View Abbott's profile

Abbott

2570 posts in 1902 days

Nice one.

Bob #2

Tony, we live in an imperfect world.
We have allowed the delivery industry to make a larger profit than the original manufacturers and then the governments to slice another huge profit from the same transaction.

I gotta ask… why do you live in such a place?

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

Bob, thanks for the review. I have been needing something like this since I usually end up just taking the bolt or nut with me to find the right size. Or I find a bolt/nut that I would like to use and wonder what size is it.

If I get one of these it will certainly help with one of the “nuts and bolts” problems that I have. I wonder if it will help with this one as well :)

Bob #2

Scott, I have one of those!
Everything now comes in packages of 6?
I generally need either 2 or 4. <g>

View JJohnston's profile

JJohnston

How thick is the tapped plate? Is it thick enough that there are several threads per hole?

-- "Sorry I'm late. Somebody tampered with my brakes." "You should have been early, then."

Yes, its about 2,mm or just under a 1/8th “

View Brad_Nailor's profile

Brad_Nailor

I was looking at this too. i think it would be an invaluable all around tool. i am always trying to replace missing or broken hardware and its tough to identify tapped holes properly.

-- http://www.facebook.com/pages/DSO-Designs/297237806954248

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2003 days

It’s $13.50 until Jan 24, then it goes up to $18.50. Right now it’s back ordered until March 19.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

Thanks for the review … this is a great idea (just what I have come to expect from Lee Valley).