Good product, but need beter quality controls

Review by longhornboyd45 posted 1650 days ago 5730 views 2 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Good product, but need beter quality controls No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

In my quest to become a better woodworker, i decided it was time to purchase some tools to upgrade my shop (aka Garage). With a few projects under my belt, i decided to quit paying the local Big Box astronomical prices for their s4s lumber and go and get myself a jointer and planer.

After browsing numerous sites and reading reviews i opted for the Grizzly GO452 and GO505 would fit my needs as a beginner woodworker. This review will be only of the G0452 jointer as i have yet to put the planer through its paces.

I placed my oreder online and the jointer left the warehouse on November 2nd arriving just in time for my birthday on the 6th. I was very excited as after reading Chris Schwarz book “Workbenches” i had already picked my first project to christen the new tool, a traditional workbench.

The jointer was sent in 2 large boxes and delivered to my house via freight. The driver was very nice and assisted me in lugging them into the garage (I’ll meet him another 3 times). After reading the manual and determining everything was present and acounted for, I began assembly. The entire machine went together without a hitch and the instructions were very detailed. It took a little longer to get all the packing grease off than the actual assembly of the machine. The fine tuning was pretty easy and within a total of 3 or so hours had the maching ready to go.

It was time to run my first peice over the head and i could not have been more anxious. I grabbed some scrap i had lying around and made my first pass. The blades were sharp and seemed to cut with ease as i was only going for about 1/32”. After about 4 passes inspecting each time i noticed that my stock (which was already milled before starting) Was taking quite a bit more off the front than the back and was making it’s way to becoming a nice wedge shim.

Now, thins might be my first jointer, but i was fairly sure this is not the outcome i had expected. It was then time to go back to the manual. While the manual is excelent for the setup and tuning, i could not find my issue in the troubleshooting area. After some diligence looking online i figured out the problem. The beds were not coplainer with the infeed table sloping downward toward the head at about 1/16” over it’s lenght. A little disheartened i returned from the shop and called their customer service.

I stated my problem to the rep and they immediately put me through to a technician. I explained the problem and he recommended i try and shim the infeed table. Thinking to myself that i’m sure i had enough technical know how to do this task, i agreed and headed back to the shop. I pulled out the manual once again and analyzed to exploded view of parts and how to remedy this situation. I soon realized i did NOT possess the ability to remove the cutterhead, pins and bolts holding the infeed table in place, remove the 80-100lb table and accurately shim it to make my brand new tool do what it was designed to all the while keeping all the planes in perfect alignment. I also realized that this is the one side that i will be used to make most adjustments and a shim could easly be thrown out of alignment. Back to Grizzly it needed to go.

After phoning the technician the next day, i indicated my inadaquicies as a machinist and they agreed to have me ship it back on their bill. It took a few weeks to coordinate with the trucking company and ship it back, but back it went to have the surface reground. I’ll admit that i waited about 3 weeks to send it off, and after a month at grizzly i recieved a call from the freight company that they had it at the local loading dock ready for delivery. We scheduled the delivery for the 30th of December and right on time it was back in the shop. As soon as i could, i pryed of the tob of the box and removed the packing tape to finally rejoin the table to its base. Once the packaing was removed i went in to inspect the top and immediately noticed something was very wrong. There was no cutter head. Hoping this was not the case i looked deeper. Not only did i not find a cutter head, I also noticed the outfeed adjustment handle was not present. looking a little further i found the handle to the infeed table broken off in the box and the bolt that tightens on the infeed table to be sheared off inside the machine.

After a few choice words and letting my temper cool with a nice Shiner Boch, i made the call back to customer support to share my findings and request a return and refund. They promptly sent me the information and return slip and i sent it off one last time. I simply could not justify to myself sending it off for repair again with a chance that it still might not come back correct. I thought a third strike might just put me over the edge.

I really would have liked to give this tool a glowing review, but as you can tell i just cannot. I never even really got to use it so this review is probably not too helpful to most. A few things i would note about the machine are that it has plenty of power given it is only a 110 machine. The fit and finish were nice and it is very easy to setup. Customer service was very courteous except i might not recommend teling someone that just bought a brand new tool from you that they should have to fix it themselves.

Overall, i am disappointed and out the $75 shipping fee and cost of 2 sheets of ply to ship it back to them twice, but i would consider buying from them in the future as i continue to expand my shop on a budget. As for another jointer, I think i’ll just be heading to the local Woodcraft store and get one there. At least there won’t be the shipping issue to contend with and i can talk or have the machine inspected in person.

Thanks for your time.

View longhornboyd45's profile

longhornboyd45

View funchuck's profile

funchuck

Wow, I just bought this jointer. Mine worked out fine. After setting it up, and before putting any wood on it, I checked the tables for coplaner, then checked the fences, then checked the blades.

The only thing amiss was that the blades were not installed exactly level to the outfeed. It was an easy fix.

After that, I put some wood through it to test and it all came out good.

I am puzzled why the tech support told you to shim the infeed table. Usually, the outfeed is shimmed. From what I understand, you don’t need to take apart the jointer to shim it either. I wouldn’t discount the grizzly yet though. When I did my research, comparable models from other brands were around $600 to $650… while the grizzly is $400 plus $74 shipping and it has a built in mobile base. But, I did hear that some HD’s are clearing out the Ridgid jointers for $200, you might want to jump on that if you can.

-- Charles from California

View longhornboyd45's profile

longhornboyd45

Thanks for the info. I’ll look into the rigid. I’m really thinking about the Jet. Not sure just yet. I wish this one would have worked out from the get-go.

it has plenty of power given it is only a 110 machine
Are you rating the power of the jointer on the four , 1/32” passes that you made with brand new blades ?
It seems to me that Grizzly should be responsible for your freight and crate material charges…they’re the ones that shipped out defective equipment…you ordered and paid for a NEW machine , not a “fixer upper”.

View TheDane's profile

TheDane

Surprised to hear that … I bought the same jointer a year ago, and with the exception of a knicked knife (which they replaced ASAP) I have been happy as a clam with it.

If you are on Sawmill Creek, the owner of Grizzly is a regular there and seems to appreciate knowing about problems like this.

View Rick  Dennington's profile

Rick Dennington

Greetings longhornedboyd:

Well…......... What can I say? It’s a Grizzly piece of crap…....I wouldn’t buy a nut and bolt from them people. Several years ago, I owned 2 Grizzly machines. Both broke and flew apart (especially the bandsaw). And I do mean FLEW APART….. parts everywhere. Junk…. pure junk…. I’ll never own another one. All I can tell you is: Buyer beware, but you’ve already had that experience, haven’t you? Keep on keeping on…...

-- " I started with nothing, and I've still got most of it left".......

Truly stunning. This is the first poor review I have seen on Grizzly power tools…

-- My workshop blog can be found at http://daves-workshop.blogspot.com

View skeeter's profile

skeeter

233 posts in 1938 days

I don’t know how you gave them 3 and a half stars. Are you masochistic?! I would have put a minus in front of the stars. After my sharpener I got from them I would have to agree with Rick.

-- My philosophy: Somewhere between Norm and Roy

View JasonIndy's profile

JasonIndy

186 posts in 2032 days

I got the Ridgid jointer for $301 at HD. I’m waiting for the weather to warm up a bit before I get out to the garage and put it together, but the reviews were strong. I got their planer too and the assembly there was an absolute breeze.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

I have had this jointer for about 9 months. I have used it a lot and I have never had any problems with it. I only advise people to not use this jointer without the dust collector attached and running. Otherwise, the discharge shoot will clog.

View NBeener's profile

NBeener

It seems like pretty basic Quality Control issues.

The Grizzly machines that work … tend to get good reviews. The bottom line problem, though, is that it appears as though a higher percentage of Grizzly machines might arrive with defects/problems than with other brands.

I have no idea whether that’s true. Grizzly might simply sell a HECK of a lot of machines, so … the SAME defect rate might translate into quite a few bad apples.

That said, I’m strongly considering writing an old fashioned letter to upper management (customer service doesn’t seem to escalate things). I’m two for two—faulty band saw, on arrival, and faulty mortiser, on arrival.

Quality should be designed in, and NOT tested out. Their processes need to be evaluated from top to bottom.

I really don’t know whether or not I’d buy another Grizzly lower-priced power tool, at this point. Time is money. Inconvenience (or projects at a standstill) is money raised to the second power.

BTW: I love my Ridgid 6” jointer….

-- -- Neil

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

403 posts in 1992 days

I have had nothing but trouble with Grizzly shipping…the customer serv is shoddy at best nice at first then goes south fast I am done with them at this point

-- Cosmicturner

View juniorjock's profile

juniorjock

1930 posts in 2362 days

I have the same machine. Has worked great since the day I got it.

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

I’ve had the same jointer for almost 3 years and it has given me NO PROBLEMS. The only down fall is that I wish I would purchased a wider jointer to begin with.
I have several Grizzly power tool and have had no problems with any of them.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View dragondncr's profile

dragondncr

38 posts in 2026 days

I bought the Grizzly G0604x jointer. It came in a couple of weeks before Christmas, so I didn’t get around to putting it together until after Christmas. When I opened the box that had the motor and cabinet, I stopped, grabbed a camera to take pictures. It must have been dropped. The cross pieces that the motor mounts to were extremely bent, I mean really bent. Without opening the other box, I called customer support. They asked me to check the contents of the other box. Everything seemed to look ok. They left it up to me whether I wanted to ship it back, or they could send me replacement parts. I opted for the replacement parts, which arrived in two days. I will give customer support an A++. But, as someone mentioned earlier, quality control seems to be an issue. The table and fence were stained, I’ guessing rust. With some work, I did get that looking nice.

The other issues came up later, when I purchased the shelix head. I could not get either table to drop far enough to remove the existing head. The 4 clamp plates on each table were installed crooked, so they were not allowing the table to drop the full distance.

-- dragondncr

111999 posts in 2174 days

I’ve had good luck with Grizzly for 16 years and 7 different products. All companies can have a percentage of problems that’s why you want a company with excellent customer service like Grizzly.