Workshop Heating Solution

Review by TheDane posted 1651 days ago 4336 views 4 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Workshop Heating Solution No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Winters get pretty cold where I live (Wisconsin) and my garage/shop, though it is attached to the house, could get pretty uncomfortable in winter time.

Since I am not about to quit doing what I love for 4 or 5 months a year, I started looking into my options for heating the garage. Space is at a real premium down there, so whatever I chose had to be hung from the ceiling. There was already a 240-volt, unused service in the workshop, so electric heat was the way to go.

I selected the Fahrenheat 5000 Watt Unit Heater, manufactured by Marley Engineered Products of Bennettsville, SC (this heater is also sold under the name Dayton).

This heater is well made. It weighs in at almost 28 pounds, and needs to be attached to the framing in the wall or ceiling. The manufacturer supplies a heavy steel bracket and lag bolts as well as a well-written, easy-to-understand manual. The bottom cover is hinged with a single set screw, providing easy access to the terminal block inside. You do need to supply your own hookup cable and a 30-amp circuit.

I picked up a cutoff (required by code in my area since the breaker box is another room in the house) and a 6’ #10AWG whip at a local electrical supply. Installation (starting with bolting the bracket to the ceiling joist) took less than 90 minutes.

This heater does a terrific job. It has a front-mounted, built-in thermostat, automatic fan control, and can be either ceiling or wall-mounted. And it is made in the USA.

It took about 20 minutes for it to heat the 500 square foot garage from 39 degrees to 58 degrees. I’m sure I will be sending larger checks to my electric co-op, but at least I won’t be sitting in the house with cabin fever all winter!

View GMman's profile

GMman

Good selection you should be ok with that, if it gets too cold on some days just take the day off.

View mikethetermite's profile

mikethetermite

My shop is detached from the house and this heater works fine. If I am not going to be in the shop and at night, I turn it to the lowest setting. My shop is a 720 square foot. I also have two ceiling fans that move the heat off the ceiling. Like GMman says,”if it gets too cold on some days just take the day off.”

-- Mike The Termite ~~~~~ Working safely may get old, but so do those who practice it.

This looks pretty good. I have been looking into heating my shop. Right now I am running 2 1500 watt heaters and they do an adequate job but I would like something that works better.

View Derek Lyons's profile

Derek Lyons

Whats the voltage?

-- Derek, Bremerton WA --

240

View Darell's profile

Darell

I’ve been looking at alternatives for heating my 320 sq. ft. shop. (16’ x 20’ x 10’) It’s insulated to R-13 in the walls and R-30 ceiling. When I built it I installed an ac/heater unit (18,000 btu ac, 12,000 btu heat) but I might as well burn a candle to heat the place for all the good that thing does. I currently use a 20,000 btu kerosene heater. I go out when I get up and turn it on, it’s usually 32 to 40 degrees out there when it’s cold like it’s been lately. It takes about 4 hours to warm the shop up to the mid 60’s or so. I shut down the heater then spend 4 or 5 hours working and it stays comfortable during that time. Kerosene runs $23 per 5 gallons and that lasts 3 to 4 weeks. I’ve been looking for something that would heat the shop up faster but won’t break the budget. Read both good and bad about this heater, mostly good, but I’m wondering about how much it costs to run this heater.

-- Darell, Norman, Ok.

TheDane

I’ll do a follow-up post on my electric bill changes after I have had it for awhile.

View Fallon's profile

Fallon

I have a Dimplex 5,000 watt unit http://www.air-n-water.com/product/cuh05b31t.htm that I got for my 3 car garage (1 bay is workshop, 2 are cars). It’s 240v (You can only get a maximum of 1,800 watts on a 110v 15@ circuit) but instead of hard wiring it, I have it plugged into my 50@ welding outlet.

It pumps out some pretty good heat & warms my garage up to T-shirt temperature from high 30’s in under half an hour pretty easily. Reasonably quite. I’d recommend it.

I’ll try and see what it does to my electric bill, but I haven’t had it on a whole lot.

TheDane

First full-month electric bill arrived today … I have been running my heater a couple of evenings a week for an hour or two, and about 5 to 6 hours each Saturday and Sunday. This bill is up $11.21 when compared to the previous month and the same period last year.

View Bluepine38's profile

Bluepine38

I have the same heater hanging from my garage/workshop ceiling. It has different wiring diagrams included
so you can wire it from 2500 to 5000 watt and then choose the appropriate feed wire and breaker. I am
using it at 5000 watt and figure the cost is way less than an afternoon at the shooting range with the wife
and the local practical shooting club, or our weekly supper date to make sure she is willing to keep putting
up with me. I just figure it as part of keeping happy and away from my office at the corner of WALK and
DONT WALK. If I can not make beautiful projects, I can have fun. It is a Farenheat/Marley 4887.

As ever, Gus the 71 yr old laborer, trying to become a carpenters apprentice