A nice bandsaw

Review by Mike Lingenfelter posted 02-12-2008 04:32 AM 7117 views 2 times favorited 13 comments Add to Favorites Watch
A nice bandsaw A nice bandsaw No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

Grizzly calls this the “Ultimate” bandsaw. That’s a bold statement to live up to. I own many Grizzly tools and I’m very happy with all of them. This is a really good bandsaw but I can’t call it the Ultimate. There are a few changes that would push into the Ultimate category. First, I’m not that happy with the fence. It looks nice, but it does have a bit of play in it. When I clamp it down the far end will move sometimes. I have to keep a close eye on it when I’m setting it. Dust collection for the lower wheel compartment is good, but most of the dust collects just under the top and has to be cleaned manually. Maybe this is a flaw with most bandsaws, but it is annoying. The guide bearings seem a little cheap. There is a little too much play in bearing adjustments. I still gave this bandsaw 4-stars, because of the price and the “flaws” are things I can deal with.

Some of the features of the bandsaw are are:
– 1 HP motor
– 2 speeds
– Cutting capacity/throat: 13-1/2”
– Wheels: Fully balanced cast aluminum with rubber tires
– Maximum cutting height: 6”

For a complete list of features you can find them here www.grizzly.com. I also added the 6” Riser Block to mine, so I can resaw up to 12”. I mention the “Fully Balanced Wheels”, because they really were balanced. When I got the bandsaw I did a complete tune-up on it. Balancing the wheels was one thing I didn’t have to deal with.

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

View FrankA's profile

FrankA

#1 posted 02-12-2008 05:55 AM

I will soon be in the market for a bandsaw I will take a look at this one.

-- Frank Auge---Nichols NY----"My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, but it is price competitive."

#2 posted 02-12-2008 06:14 AM

Nice review. I’ve got a few grizzly tools but not a band saw.

View cajunpen's profile

cajunpen

#3 posted 02-12-2008 12:30 PM

Mike, I have that same band saw and I love it. The fence isn’t the best, I will upgrade it eventually. My bearings and dust collection are both fine. I am thinking about adding the 6” riser block – but have been putting it off. Anyone in the market for a bandsaw would do well with this one, in it’s price range – it excellent.

-- Bill - "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased." http://www.cajunpen.com/

View John Gray's profile

John Gray

#4 posted 02-18-2008 09:08 AM

Our son has one of there and he loves it.

-- Only the Shadow knows....................

View Timber4fun's profile

Timber4fun

#5 posted 07-18-2008 03:16 PM

I am saving my pennies for a new bandsaw. I just sold my old Craftsman bandsaw on Craigslist. It was an old floor standing model that had a lot of vibration. I found myself having to tweak it all the time. Are you still happy with the Grizzly Ultimate? I’ve had good luck with Grizzly, so this saw is definitely in the running. Just thought I’d get further opinions. The reviews on Amazon are very good.

-- Tim from Iowa City, IA

View Mike Lingenfelter's profile

Mike Lingenfelter

#6 posted 07-18-2008 04:29 PM

Yes, I’m still very happy with this bandsaw. The bandsaw runs very smooth and quiet. The issues with the fence are things you learn to work with, they haven’t caused any real problems.

I find myself using the bandsaw to rip a lot of my “smaller” width boards, instead of using my table saw. It leaves a little rougher edge, but I clean up all my cuts with a hand plane anyway. Ripping on the bandsaw just feels safer to me. If this trend keeps up, I may wish I had gotten a larger bandsaw :). For now it’s just the right size for my shop.

View Russel's profile

Russel

#7 posted 07-18-2008 05:09 PM

I just got this saw recently and while I haven’t used it much yet, the set up/tune up was pretty straight forward. I’m looking forward to seeing what it can do.

-- Working at Woodworking http://www.VillageLaneFurniture.com

View brunob's profile

brunob

#8 posted 07-18-2008 05:45 PM

I’ve had one for a year and a half. I got the riser blocks. It performs really well.

-- Bruce from Central New York...now, if you'll pardon me, I have some sawdust to make.

View Sac's profile

Sac

#9 posted 07-26-2008 05:35 PM

I’ve the same bandsaw with the riser block. It does some nice resaw also. As he mentioned the end of that fence has a tendency to move sometimes so I also watch it closely and at times will even clamp it.

-- Jerry

View Garyb6's profile

Garyb6

#10 posted 07-28-2008 04:54 PM

I got this bandsaw a couple of months ago. So far, its been excellent. However, it is my first bandsaw so I don’t have a lot to compare it to.

-- Garyb6, “True simplicity does not reveal the tremendous effort it requires.” - Somerset Maugham

View mvh's profile

mvh

#11 posted 11-16-2008 10:21 PM

Anyone that has this saw- how strong is the 1 HP motor? Does it resaw 10-12” thick wood alright, or does this put a pretty good strain on the motor. I have been told that 1.5 HP is the minimum for 10-12” lumber.

View mjdinsmore's profile

mjdinsmore

#12 posted 06-20-2009 07:47 AM

I have this saw (and have had it for close to a year now). I don’t have any problems with the motor not being strong enough. The blade is so thin it doesn’t need to work that hard. I have resawn some walnut but it wasn’t 12” thick (I bought the riser kit and definitely recommend that to make it more useful). Resawing the walnut didn’t slow it down.

This is a good, solid machine. A great value for the money and you don’t think it’s cheap once you see and use it.

#13 posted 06-20-2009 07:01 PM

good review. I like grizzly tools