Cen-Tech Digital High Resolution Inspection Camera

Review by Tennessee posted 09-07-2018 03:22 PM 844 views 0 times favorited 1 comment Add to Favorites Watch
Cen-Tech Digital High Resolution Inspection Camera Cen-Tech Digital High Resolution Inspection Camera Cen-Tech Digital High Resolution Inspection Camera Click the pictures to enlarge them

Repairing stringed instruments, now that I own one of these, I wonder how I got along without it in the past, using long handled mirrors and such. And repairing my larger woodworking tools, those with things like complicated control boxes, looking into my planer dust collector, this is really nice.

I was told by a mechanic that I know who owns one that you should pop for the more expensive one. Not only is the resolution much better, the taking of still pictures and videos is very helpful. He uses his to show customers problems with their cars on the screen, without having to take them into the garage.

Pros:
It has a 39” camera cable, with a light on the end. It is only 8.5MM in diameter, so pretty small.
Comes with a battery charger since the battery is in the unit, but to date, although I have owned this for about five months, have not had to charge the battery yet. Still says fully charged. I’ve used it maybe ten-twelve times.
You can just use it to view, or you can take videos and still shots.
Comes with a USB cable for downloading video and still shots onto your computer, although it is not true HD. Still, looking at the camera lens on the hand-held unit, the picture is nice and clear, good color.
The LED light at the end of the cable works great.
With one of those rare 25% off coupons, which I used on a holiday, I picked this up for $143 and change out the door. No one comes close to that price for a unit like this.

Cons:
Although it plays to 4.2 stars on the HF website, there have been a few complaints on the cable breaking. I can understand this, since it is fairly stiff, and taking it around a sharp bend might cause some problems. For me, looking into chambers and such, not a problem. I just go a little slower, and if I think I am pushing the cable too sharp into a corner, I back off a bit.
Camera cable is too short. Valid complaint, but not at this price point, IMHO
Try to get spare parts. Usual HF stuff.

Overall, at this price point, using it to see in dark little spaces to fix people’s guitars, cellos, etc., this is great. I also have used it for a number of around the house things, like what is really under the refrigerator, trying to find that little thermostat wire in the stove, and of course anything under the dashboard of a car.

It may not have a lot of applications in woodworking situations, but I can see this used for a lot of items, including hard to see places on a lot of your woodworking tools.
I am actually wondering why I didn’t buy one of these years ago.

Oh, one last thing: It does NOT like being turned on without the cable being attached. The software gets confused. But I like the way the cable attaches, nice carrying case, and decent instructions. Overall, a five pointer for me.

-- Tsunami Guitars and Custom Woodworking, Cleveland, TN

View Tennessee's profile

Tennessee

1 comment so far

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 09-07-2018 10:06 PM

It is a useful tool for a lot of things. I looked at it not long ago. However, I went with a longer one that plugs into my phone. I have used it for walls and finding wires, snaking sewer vent pipes to find clogs, and lots of other things.