Nice little Digital Depth Indicator

Review by GaryK posted 01-15-2010 08:53 PM 2640 views 1 time favorited 15 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Nice little Digital Depth Indicator Nice little Digital Depth Indicator Nice little Digital Depth Indicator Click the pictures to enlarge them

Being a sucker for new tools, when I got an e-mail for this I couldn’t pass it up for the price.

You want to check the depth of a dado or a rabbet? This little thing will do the job. Make a little “U” shaped block with a hole thought it and then use it to straddle your saw blade or router bit and use it to set your depth of cut.

One real nice thing about it is the tab on the back. It’s exactly like the one your find on the back of dial indicators so you can mount it to anything that a dial indicator will mount to. Kind of like two tools in one.

It has the following buttons:

On/Off
Zero
Hold
mm/in/F

The last is great because whatever units you like to use to measure it’s there. Metric millimeters, Inch Decimal and fractions at the push of a button.

It also comes with 2 extension shafts. 1” and 2” which is good for measuring the depth of holes.

The thing I like about is that is takes the same battery (CR2032) as my digital readout on my planer, router angle finder and protractor. I get a bunch of them on ebay at a time for cheap. They last for about 6 months.

I forgot to mention that it does shut itself off after 5 minutes of inactivity.

Why only 4 stars? Well it’s made mostly of plastic and I don’t know how it would take a drop on the floor. I’m not going to find out either. But for the price it’s about what you’d expect. Of course it’s made in China.

Apparently it’s so new that the factory doesn’t even have boxes custom made for it yet. It came in a box that you usually find a micrometer in.

While I was placing the order I went ahead and got a set of indicator points for it. They are nice for special measuring tasks. Like a flat point which make it easier to rest on the tip of a blade tooth. It comes with a round tip which is great for flat surfaces but not too good for pointy ones.

I got them here: IncramentalTools

The deal I got is only good until Jan 19 2010 using code GA15 during checkout. $16.96 for the indicator (reg. $19.95) and $5.91 (reg. $6.95)

View lew's profile

lew

#1 posted 01-15-2010 08:56 PM

$16.96!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Gary- going to get one of these!!

Lew

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#2 posted 01-15-2010 09:14 PM

Shoot, anothe thing a really NEEED! <g>
Could have used it this week to set the depth of some recesses I was making for bench dogs.

p.s. when I’m president I will invoke a law that all digital measuring tools have an auto shut off after 2 minutes.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View yworkcb's profile

-- She thought I hung the moon--now she just thinks I did it wrong

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#5 posted 01-15-2010 09:20 PM

It’s tempting all right… I have to control myself… :)

View yworkcb's profile

yworkcb

#6 posted 01-15-2010 09:21 PM

my bad -I had the wrong product

#7 posted 01-15-2010 10:26 PM

Bob #2 – I forgot to mention that it does shut itself off after 5 minutes of inactivity.

View jm82435's profile

jm82435

#8 posted 01-15-2010 10:43 PM

That looks like a pretty cool tool. So it has an inch of stroke? I don’t see where it says its range…

-- A thing of beauty is a joy forever...

View lew's profile

lew

#9 posted 01-16-2010 12:18 AM

Just ordered it, Gary! The only thing I didn’t care for was the $10.06 shipping!

-- Lew- Time traveler. Purveyor of the Universe's finest custom rolling pins.

#10 posted 01-16-2010 12:46 AM

jm82435 – Actually there’s a little more than 1” so like I said you can use it also as a digital/dial indicator. Mine has 1.0565 of travel, plus you can push it up inside the base for a little bit more.

Lew – My shipping was $6.12 but I also had to pay tax. It would have cost me more to drive to Dallas (about 100 Miles)
to pick it up.

#11 posted 01-16-2010 01:08 AM

Thaks Gary, I am a sucker too!! Especially for something that handy:-)

View araldite's profile

araldite

#12 posted 01-16-2010 01:33 AM

Thanks for the code. I picked up something else I wanted and got the 15% discount.

#13 posted 01-16-2010 04:26 AM

I can’t seem to find the range of measurement. Any ideas?

#14 posted 01-16-2010 04:33 AM

TopamaxSurvivor – Read my last comment.

#15 posted 01-16-2010 05:11 AM