Capable and handy chainsaw

Review by swirt posted 09-07-2018 03:06 AM 707 views 0 times favorited 10 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Capable and handy chainsaw Capable and handy chainsaw Capable and handy chainsaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Since I no longer live in the forest and am now mainly surrounded by annoying palm trees, I haven’t used my gas chainsaw in over a decade. When I went to use it to help me slab some oak, it needed a lot of work to get it running again. I knew it would sit dormant for a long time and require more work to get it running the next time. I wanted something simpler, something more reliable. I picked the Black and Decker CS1518 [amazon]

I liked it for the following reasons:

• Under $80
  • 18” bar
  • 15 Amp motor (more powerful than other electrics) —turned out to be more powerful than my gas saw
  • Oregon bar and chain (easy to find replacements)
  • Instant stop chain
  • Tool-less adjustments
  • Quieter than gas
  • No fumes
  • Kickback safety
  • Cuts great (chain was fully embedded in red oak and the saw never once stalled or hesitated)
  • Easy to put into use, easy to put away.
  • Blade guard included

I used it to cut 5 slabs like shown in the third photo and the motor was not hot. The saw just did its job without complaining. It worked well and I am happy with my purchase. I think I will find uses for it more often than I used my gas saw because it is capable and so easy to get up and running.

There are only two shortcomings to the saw:
  • Limited by cord length
  • minor: The balance of the saw is off a bit due to the weight of the motor. When holding it two-handed as prescribed, it wants to cut to the right. As long as you are aware of it, you can correct for it.

View Woodwrecker's profile

Woodwrecker

#1 posted 09-07-2018 04:06 AM

Sounds like you have found the best solution for you.
I use a mix of battery powered and 2 stroke motor powered yards tools, but with battery technology going the way it is, gas motors are going to go the way of the doe-doe eventually.
Thanks for the post swirt.

View Mainiac Matt 's profile

Mainiac Matt

#2 posted 09-07-2018 01:03 PM

I lay up 2-4 cords/yr off our lot and am pretty fed up with constantly having to fiddle with my gas saws.

I need to get an electric, as I can skid the logs and branches up to the barn with the tractor.

-- I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam

View GR8HUNTER's profile

GR8HUNTER

#3 posted 09-07-2018 01:22 PM

sounds like the perfect saw except for the finding electric in forest LOL :<))

-- Tony---- Reinholds,Pa.------ REMEMBER TO ALWAYS HAVE FUN

#4 posted 09-07-2018 02:08 PM

@Woodwrecker You are right about the battery tech getting better and better. I looked at several of the battery powered saws but there were a couple of things that made them not right for my use case.

• For an 18” saw they are in the neighborhood of 3-5 times more expensive than this plug-in version.
  • My yard is now small enough that I can get everywhere in it with a 100’ cord.
  • Most of my use is wood shop related and the cutting takes place in the driveway.
  • The batteries on the big saws are not compatible with my other woodworking tools. (Makita seems to be the only one that is)

In hindsight though one of the things I noticed on the battery saws is that they don’t have the big honking motor sticking out the side. Not sure if they use smaller motors, or if they are arranged more like a worm-drive saw. Seems like they might be better balanced.

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#5 posted 09-07-2018 04:39 PM

That is incredibly impressive for an electric! My 14” HF electric works great for small felling and such, but I never would dream of slabbing with it. I am definitely looking into this fine machine!

View michelletwo's profile

michelletwo

#6 posted 09-09-2018 11:47 AM

impressive..rip cut on a slab…may look into it for myself..thanks

#7 posted 09-10-2018 01:44 AM

@michelletwo The first few slabs I cut with the included chain straight out of the box, and it worked well. Then I sharpened the teeth at 10 degrees (making it a ripping chain) when it was time to sharpen and cut the remaining slabs and it cut a bit better

#8 posted 09-10-2018 09:44 PM

My ancient Remmington electric 14 incher gave up the ghost 2 years ago, and i need to clear some more from my lot. Might be time to get one of these…

-- Please like and subscribe to my YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/c/daves-workshop

#9 posted 09-11-2018 01:35 AM

@dbhost A neighbor of mine used to have a Remmington that I used several times when doing some cleanup on her property. It was a decent little saw. This Black & Decker is a serious upgrade.

View robscastle's profile

robscastle

#10 posted 09-26-2018 12:28 PM

Get the leather apron on, and get to work on the Palm trees I want to see that Poulan doing a Texas Chain saw massacre Part 3 on them!

Electric the way of the future!

-- Regards Rob