Jig for cutting/routing small parts

Review by David Craig posted 01-14-2010 02:58 PM 5241 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Jig for cutting/routing small parts Jig for cutting/routing small parts Jig for cutting/routing small parts Click the pictures to enlarge them

Many of the items I work with in my shop require the shaping and cutting of small parts. These might be small boards for boxes or parts for toys. I have always found it a little nerve racking when I needed to cut a rabbet or shape small pieces, as I do not like my fingers so close to a blade. I have used clamps to perform the job but never felt like I had much control when working the pieces. Last year, I found this item on the PriceCutters website (now merged with Eagle America) and found this a major help in this area.

The Finger Saver is a jig that allows you to grip small wood pieces firmly while keeping your hands far away from any moving bits. The vise grips are made of plastic and are not ridged, so it doesn’t mar the work piece. There are two knobs that control the vises to give a tight grip. One is a brass knob on the top that you lift for quick adjustments, the silver one on the side is used for fine adjustments. I have used this device with the bandsaw, tablesaw, and the router. It has a miter gauge that allows any angle up to 45 degrees.

I have read some reviews where people have complained that the grip is not solid. The reason this happens is because the brass knob will lift when fine tuning with the silver knob and this causes the jig to re-loosen. I have learned that this can be avoided by putting finger pressure on the brass knob while making the fine tune adjustment. I have never had the board slip from the grips when performing this process.

The unit sells for about 20 dollars and can be purchased here. Occasionally, I have seen it on sale for half price and it was on sale at the time I purchased my unit. Either way, if you work with small parts, this might be the best 20 bucks you ever spent.

View Andrew's profile

Andrew

#1 posted 01-14-2010 03:13 PM

great review, thanks.

-- Even a broken clock is right twice a day, unless, it moves at half speed like ....-As the Saw Turns

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#2 posted 01-14-2010 03:56 PM

Good review.
I ditched the angle forming bar and protractor a few years ago.
Too much stuff in my way for most operations.
Harbor freight had a clearance on thes befre x-mas at $1.75 each!
Don’t cry, I miissed it too!

Bpb

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View woodsmithshop's profile (online now)

woodsmithshop

#3 posted 01-14-2010 06:04 PM

I haven’t quite figured out what the protractor is for. it seems like it is more in the way.

-- Smitty!!!

View Greg..the Cajun  Box Sculptor's profile

Greg..the Cajun Box Sculptor

5178 posts in 1994 days

#4 posted 01-14-2010 06:05 PM

I have a finger saver also. I bought it about a year ago because it looked like a good idea. It is still in the box and I havem’t used it yet…but one of these days…

-- We all must start somewhere in our journey of doing what we love to do.

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

#5 posted 01-14-2010 08:14 PM

David. You can get the exact same finger saver from HF cost $1.97. They are exactly the same – made in Taiwan. If I were you I would get a couple more from HF

-- Roger-R, Republic of Texas. "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" - An eyeball to eyeball confrontation with a blind person is as complete waste of Time.

#6 posted 01-14-2010 08:27 PM

Thanks for the commentary. Been a long time since I went to HF. I am going to flint today so I might swing by there. I am not disappointed with the one I have, but if it truly is the same, I will pick up a couple for friends. I started my woodworking days with a lot of HF purchases but have slowed that down quite a bit. I guess the thing I would pay close attention to is the threads on the vise and how tight they are. It looks like the item is discontinued in their catalog but maybe they will have a couple onsite. I am very curious bout the construction now.

Thanks for the info,

View Roger Clark aka Rex's profile

Roger Clark aka Rex

#7 posted 01-14-2010 08:57 PM

David,
Check with Papadan, I believe he got 2 from HF. Believe me they are the same, I bought one from an online store a year ago and paid about $21 for it.
Hope you can get some.

View noknot's profile

noknot

#8 posted 01-15-2010 04:16 AM

sounds like a good investment I firmly believe if its cheaper than the co pay go for it

-- GO DAWGS!

View araldite's profile

araldite

187 posts in 2090 days

#9 posted 01-15-2010 05:51 AM

I found it works best with pieces thin enough to allow all three yellow parts to sit flush on the table, like you have in the picture. Replace that with a piece the same size but two inches thick and it can easily be tipped if you’re not careful. I bought one a long time ago when Rockler was selling them for half price, about $10. I hardly ever use it. For $1.75, it’s worth getting. I get a lot more use out of the GRRRipper.

#10 posted 01-15-2010 01:31 PM

I still have to make it HF but will check on them next week. Thanks for the comments everyone.

I understand what you are saying Vince, in regards to stability. I have used this for boards up to an inch without issue. If I had a two inch thick piece, I would probably switch to a push block.

View papadan's profile

papadan

1156 posts in 2054 days

#11 posted 01-15-2010 01:41 PM

HF ran out of them, I found out about it when my other items arrived from the same order. My local stores never carried them and online ran out. I did order one from somewhere, have to find the paperwork to get the name. It was 19.95 w/ free shipping

-- Carpenter assembles with hands, Designer builds with brains, Artist creates with heart!