Trend AirShield Pro

Review by Ben Mclellan posted 09-04-2018 04:25 PM 1448 views 0 times favorited 23 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Trend AirShield Pro Trend AirShield Pro Trend AirShield Pro Click the pictures to enlarge them

My first review was so convoluted that I decided to remove it . I have included a couple of photos of my work show that I do have some understanding of what is required and should be provided as far as dust protection is concerned .

First off what right does Trend have to call it a PRO? Clearly on page 2 of the instruction manual, the first item under TECHNICAL DATA clearly states QUOTE :

Warning The TREND AIRSHIELD PRO is not a RESPIRATOR nor a NIOSH approved device. Using the power visor against harmful substances may result in sickness or death. This filter will not protect your lungs against harmful vapors or toxic fumes. Misuse may result in sickness or death. For proper use, read instruction manual. Use for: Relief from the bothersome effects of the common nuisance dusts. Provides limited eye and face protection. Users must evaluate their specific eye and face hazards and choose appropriate protective equipment such as safety glasses. DO NOY USE for: Protection from harmful dusts, mists, fumes or vapours. Professional/occupational applications where NIOSH approved respiratory protection is required.

This product is so poorly constructed that it was literally falling apart in my hands. Trend was not receptive to my complaints and refused to refund my money. Without going any further with this review I am at a loss to understand how this unit could be given anything but a 1 star rating considering the above technical data and quality of construction ???

#1 posted 09-04-2018 05:19 PM

I’m confused, so you bought this 5 years ago and are reviewing it now? And in that time you used it a few times? I’m very confused by the review as you started a review, then went into this odd 5 year timeline. also did you create an account this morning to post this most confusing review? What actually is wrong/broken with it? you complained about the head bands breaking, but then later you complained about chinese made electronics? I’m most perplexed as to what is even happening here…

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#2 posted 09-04-2018 05:44 PM

I don’t believe this is a review. I believe it is a rant. Pure and simple. Also, all LumberJocks should put weight in the face that this user created an account and this is his/her first post.

Sounds like a scorched earth policy to me. This “review” is not useful, just a chance for someone to vent.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

View Rich's profile

Rich

#3 posted 09-04-2018 05:54 PM

Sounds to me like a disgruntled former employee. Maybe he got laid off this morning and wants revenge.

-- Half of what we read or hear about finishing is right. We just don’t know which half! — Bob Flexner

View Jeff's profile

Jeff

#4 posted 09-04-2018 06:05 PM

So many times I see on this and other sites, commenters dumping on the poster instead of considering the complaint put forward. OK, so the poster has problems with Trend products. I don’t think this is unusual. Just do a search of this and other sites. Give him the benefit of the doubt, ask for more details and if in the end you don’t agree, say so and explain why not. Trying to analyze the posters’ motivation doesn’t move the discussion forward.
By the way take two seconds, go to his home page, then his website. He seems to know what he needs in dust protection.

View Rich's profile

Rich

#5 posted 09-04-2018 06:18 PM

- Jeff

Much like when I speak my mind and get lectured by someone whose opinion I couldn’t care less about.

#6 posted 09-04-2018 06:45 PM

So many times I see on this and other sites, commenters dumping on the poster instead of considering the complaint put forward. OK, so the poster has problems with Trend products. I don t think this is unusual. Just do a search of this and other sites. Give him the benefit of the doubt, ask for more details and if in the end you don t agree, say so and explain why not. Trying to analyze the posters motivation doesn t move the discussion forward.

- Jeff

He lost all credibility when he created an account to go on an incoherent rant. Honestly Jeff, what did you get from that review? Because I got nothing but confused. You’re welcome to rant and say a product is terrible, just do it in a way that makes some sense and people can follow.

#7 posted 09-04-2018 07:16 PM

I am sorry about the rant. You are correct that I did open this account for that reason . I have been in a battle with this company for the last 5 years about their product . I am just so frustrated with the way Trend has treated me in regards to this issue that I have decided to tell everyone who will listen about my experience. The product that I mentioned ( Air Shield Pro ) is indeed not worth having and all I have been requesting was to have a refund . Trend is trying to make it look like I used it for 5 years and then started to complain. This is not true, since i have been complaining and asking to return the product almost from the beginning. My review is indeed confusing and I will take it down or rewrite it if that would be appropriate . I do however feel it is my place to at least warn fellow wood workers about the problems I have been having with this company so they can avoid them . Sorry if i have offended anyone here .

View WoodenDreams's profile

WoodenDreams

#8 posted 09-04-2018 07:21 PM

With the cost of face shields. Why wait 5 yrs…. I have 2 face shields, purchased from a welding supplier. Paid $4.99 each. One is a clear shield, the other is a light green shield that’s like wearing a pair of sun glasses if outside.

#9 posted 09-04-2018 07:33 PM

- Ben Mclellan

That is so much more clear. Now i understand the timeline you’re talking about. I think you should probably try and state it more like that in the review.

View chem's profile

chem

#10 posted 09-04-2018 11:08 PM

I have one. Works fine for me. It is expensive (feels a bit too expensive for what it is), but I did not see a good alternative when I bought it ~8 years ago. Maybe there is a better deal out there now, but I think these are reasonable units.

-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#11 posted 09-05-2018 12:01 AM

I am completely down with the scorched earth policy.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#12 posted 09-05-2018 10:59 AM

First, I really don’t care for reviews which come here only to rip a product.

But, if it is a truthful review then let it rip. If the poster really believed in his review, he should have left it instead of removing it. This poster has only posted twice and only in this review and likely gone.

Good informative reviews are difficult to write but much appreciated.

View diverlloyd's profile

diverlloyd

3170 posts in 2029 days

#13 posted 09-05-2018 02:08 PM

- Jeff

Much like when I speak my mind and get lectured by someone whose opinion I couldn t care less about.

- Rich

Cared enough to make a reply. So show you don’t care by not replying.

Op if your not happy with the product it maybe time to cut the loss and look into a papr system. You may not like the prices but it’s for your health. For the record when I was looking at face shields I thought it was over priced for what it is and doesn’t really do anything more then a cheap shield.

View chem's profile

chem

#14 posted 09-05-2018 04:25 PM

If you think this is a face shield you are missing the point. It has active filtration of particles with a blower. That is the reason you get this. It does not remove vapors and is not meant to (a dust collector also does not capture vapors). This unit has 4.5 stars with 51 reviews at Rockler so I think there is justification from quite a few people for believing this unit fits a need. Unlike many here, I actually own and use it. I would probably give it 4 stars because it is heavier than I would like and a bit expensive.

-- chemist by day, woodworker time permitting

#15 posted 09-05-2018 06:02 PM

Op if your not happy with the product it maybe time to cut the loss and look into a papr system. You may not like the prices but it s for your health. For the record when I was looking at face shields I thought it was over priced for what it is and doesn t really do anything more then a cheap shield.

- diverlloyd

The point I am trying to make is that the system should not even be allowed on the market . The technical data is the small print that the majority of people do not see until after they have made their purchase . The reason that it is even there is because of the lawsuits that would inevitably happen because of the Air Shield Pros admitted shortcomings . Wood workers should be made aware of this because our lungs are not being protected as much as we are initially led to believe .