One irritating flaw

Review by Pixxture posted 09-04-2018 12:18 AM 817 views 1 time favorited 11 comments Add to Favorites Watch
One irritating flaw One irritating flaw One irritating flaw Click the pictures to enlarge them

Jet appears to have just released a version that may or may not replace the saw reviewed here. Decided to place this on LJ anyhow…the new saw may gave the same flaw.

JWBS-14DXPRO 14” Deluxe Band Saw

Purchased this from Rockler, about a year ago. As usual ordering a drop shipment is a frustrating roller coaster.

However, the package arrived in reasonable condition. Assembly was fairly straight forward. The only comment about the construction is the assembly manual is under the 200 pound casting. Since some assembly is required before you need the casting I suggest you download a copy before starting the assembly.
This saw does not come with a miter fence.

The saw uses adjustable bearing blade guides. Adjustment is relatively easy and the guides seem to work well.
Dust collection is a 4” port on the casting. I added a Rockler dust-rite adapter and have been pleased. It has the 2nd best dust collection of all my power tools. Second only to my Dewalt DW-735 Jointer.

I use this saw mostly for small straight cuts and resawing. The resawing has been mostly performed on cherry and pine,
nothing very hard. I use a Laguna Resaw King blade. With the 1.25 hp motor there hasn’t been any issues with lack of power.

Not sure if it is the saw, the blade or not cutting harder material but i have not had a drift issues when resawing.

Blade blade changing is a bit tight with a 3/4” blade. One issue with the saw, when using a 3/4” blade, is the saws blade guard is held on by the slimmest of margins. I felt it was more of a hazard when using a wide blade so i do not use it when using a wide (3/4”) blade. The saw is rated up to 3/4” so the guard should fit better. 1/2 star deduction for this.

The blade tension adjustment is my BIG beef with this saw. It’s placement is so poor I lowered the rating 2-1/2 stars for it. The tension adjustment knob barely rises above the top pulley housing and is immediately adjacent to it. It is a GREAT knuckle scraper. The pictures of this saw on the manual and inside the manual show the tension knob rising way above the top pulley casing. You can see from my pictures that the JET pictures are deceptive. Apparently, at one time the knob may have been located conveniently, but no longer, or JET knows it should go way above the pulley housing and doctored the pictures to show how it should be.

This is much more important to those of us over 50, the twenty and thirty year olds will notice only a irritation, not actual pain.

Summary: runs and operates good, just don’t do anything that requires a blade tension adjustment.

View kajunkraft's profile

kajunkraft

#1 posted 09-04-2018 01:12 AM

I have two Jet 14” bandsaws, each over ten years old. Both have the same issue with the tension adjustment knob.

I use one for various tasks and change blade sizes often. For this saw I installed the ratcheting knob that I believe came from Carter. It makes it very easy to set.

The other keeps a 1/2” blade almost always. At least it has a quick release for the tension so changing blades does not require turning the tension adjustment.

This is such a flagrant PIA that I figured Jet would have changed the design by now. Guess not.

The blade guards are also a little goofy but not a big deal to me. I keep mine on.

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

#2 posted 09-04-2018 01:48 PM

What I hate about mine is I have to loosen the tracking knob all the way so I can loosen the tension enough to get the blade on and off

View Jacksdad's profile

Jacksdad

#3 posted 09-04-2018 01:48 PM

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#4 posted 09-04-2018 07:53 PM

I love my Jet band saw but that knob had to go.
I don’t have the quick release either.
I made a crank for mine.
Problem solved.

-- There' are two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither one works.

View Alan72's profile

Alan72

#5 posted 09-05-2018 02:35 PM

When I had my Jet bandsaw I changed out my tension rod. https://www.amazon.com/Big-Horn-14330-Tension-Crank/dp/B001C4UOVS

View fivecodys's profile

fivecodys

#6 posted 09-05-2018 05:54 PM

- Alan72

That’s perfect!

-- There' are two theories to arguin' with a woman. Neither one works.

#7 posted 09-05-2018 07:17 PM

Five codys and alan72, thanks for the input. I am going to try that part shown in the amazon link.

View Woodchuck2010's profile

Woodchuck2010

#8 posted 09-10-2018 12:12 AM

There are 2 stops with set screws that can be loosened so you can set the knob to your desired height. Just retighten the set screws when you get the knob where you want it.

-- Chuck, Michigan,

#9 posted 09-12-2018 12:10 AM

Woodchuck;
Can u provide any more infirmation as to where those screws are located and how to get to them?
When i look at the JET parts blowup i don’t see any viable adjustment.

I have attached a close up of my mechanism.
Thanks in advance.

#10 posted 09-16-2018 01:33 AM

I replaced mine with an older crank wheel off of another machine. I believe it was a table saw. Been a while. LOL

View JRsgarage's profile

JRsgarage

#11 posted 09-16-2018 02:25 PM

Like fivecodys, I made mine…the older after market ones were known to strip out easily so I went this route.

-- Two is One, One is None