Tape measure for those that like decimal and hate fractions.

Review by GaryK posted 01-13-2010 11:26 PM 12750 views 0 times favorited 32 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Tape measure for those that like decimal and hate fractions. Tape measure for those that like decimal and hate fractions. Tape measure for those that like decimal and hate fractions. Click the pictures to enlarge them

I starting out life working in my fathers machine shop while I went to school, we always used the inch decimal system for everything. I still use it to this day. My favorite scale is a flexible 24” that reads in fractions on one side and decimal on the other. Working with decimals is so much easier. How many people know what comes after 27/64’s?

I always had to revert to fractions when ever I used a tape measure until now. I never really looked for a decimal tape measure before so I Googled it and found 2. The Lufkin 2212DX and Stanley 33-272. Both were only available in 1/2” x 12 foot only. So I got the Stanley.

The first 6” is marked in .020’s then 10ths from there on. I like the 10ths. It’s easy to approximate anything smaller than that by eye.

As far as the tape as a whole goes, it’s no different than any other the same size and function exactly the same.

Anyway, now I am truly happy. :-)

#1 posted 01-13-2010 11:50 PM

Thanks for the review, Gary. I used to be able to do this pretty easily in my head but I seem to need a calculator more often now and can’t seem to understand why. :) Of course, like pencils, my calculator often disappears despite my having just used it. A tape like this that displays decimal equivalents would save me a lot of angst.

#2 posted 01-13-2010 11:54 PM

that looks as old as me Gary you know us pommys only work in metric now like you i was taught the old ways in INCHS but that changed over the years as England went metric so the old foot died away even now our timber is metric but we ask for 4×2’s or 6×2’s and we get the metric version as foor tapes i have 20+ dotted around the workshop my car the house the wife’s car they are all the same cheap and cheerful …....

View DaveH's profile

DaveH

#3 posted 01-14-2010 12:11 AM

How accurate have you found the tape measure to be? Is a inch really an inch? I’m in the process of replacing all my cabinet building measuring devices for greater accuracy. I agree, decimal inches would be easier.

-- DaveH - Boise, Idaho - “How hard can it be? It's only wood!”

View Big_Bob's profile

Big_Bob

#4 posted 01-14-2010 12:16 AM

Gary:

I think I will get a couple of them. I am an old airftworker. When someone tells me 3/16” I think .1875”.

-- Bob Clark, Tool Collector and Sawdust Maker

View Kent Shepherd's profile

Kent Shepherd

2698 posts in 2006 days

#5 posted 01-14-2010 12:43 AM

Hi Gary, It’s amazing how our lives can be so complicated these days. I use a computer program for my door shop, so I constantly have to translate from the fractions the customers give me to decimals that my software uses.
Maybe a tape that reads that way could be helpful. I’m to the point now, I think we should just switch to metric, go with the rest of the world and be done with it. I have begun to measure with metric in some of my personal projects. I guess inch decimals might be a good compromise of the two systems.

-- She thought I hung the moon--now she just thinks I did it wrong

View sIKE's profile

sIKE

#6 posted 01-14-2010 12:51 AM

28/64? <vbg> or 7/16ths…sorry math….

-- //FC - Round Rock, TX - "Experience is what you get just after you need it"

View rtb's profile

rtb

#7 posted 01-14-2010 01:03 AM

I’m with you Gary, except have lived in Europe for a couple of years and with a background I simply have switched to using metric and I have a hand held ‘adding machine’ that converts from one to the other.

-- RTB. stray animals are just looking for love

#8 posted 01-14-2010 01:17 AM

DaveH – The accuracy seems as good as any other tape measures I have.

Big_Bob – I do the exact same thing.

The metric and inch decimal are the exact same thing except for the fact that they are based on different standards. The math for one is the same as for the other. I also wished we would finally bite the bullet and switch. Most industries already have.

#9 posted 01-14-2010 01:19 AM

Gray are your spanners still in AF

#10 posted 01-14-2010 01:23 AM

Pommy – by spanners I assume you mean wrenches? :-) What is AF?

As far as wrench and socket sets here you can get them in metric and inch (SAE) or both in the same set.

If you do any of you own work your car you need both plus Torx drivers.

#11 posted 01-14-2010 01:30 AM

AF i know as american fraction and we used to get them over here

View MsDebbieP's profile

MsDebbieP

#12 posted 01-14-2010 02:02 AM

so the old “one little line past the 1/2”” isn’t good enough?

-- ~ Debbie, Canada (https://www.facebook.com/DebbiePribeleENJOConsultant)

View Bob #2's profile

Bob #2

#13 posted 01-14-2010 02:19 AM

I use a bunch of sticks.
Hate measuring.

Bob

-- A mind, like a home, is furnished by its owner

View Joe Lyddon's profile

Joe Lyddon

#14 posted 01-14-2010 02:26 AM

That looks very confusing to me…

#15 posted 01-14-2010 04:29 AM

I never knew that these existed , Gary …thank you very much and Happy New Year : )