Small 9" bandsaw from Grizzly

Review by Jim Finn posted 09-03-2018 02:37 PM 900 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Small 9" bandsaw from Grizzly No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

I have a 14” bandsaw, that is set up for resawing, but I needed another to make small toys. I purchased this saw this year and have used it a lot. I run 3/16” blades on it cutting small toys requiring curves. It works well and the only issue I have had is, one of the guide bearings failed. I replaced it with a sealed bearing that I bought from a local bearing shop for $7. The saw comes with shielded guide bearings, as do many saws, but sealed bearings are better. I notice the induction motor runs plenty hot, but I run it for hours on end making toys 100 at a time so I am working it pretty hard..

View Redoak49's profile

Redoak49

#1 posted 09-03-2018 02:54 PM

Nice bandsaw and I agree with having a second smaller one.

I have the Rikon 10” and put the Carter Stabilizer Guide on it. You can cut even tighter curves with it.

View Andre's profile

Andre

2231 posts in 2012 days

#2 posted 09-03-2018 03:02 PM

Yup, after getting a General 17” I picked up a Rikon 10”. Other than a pain to set up the guides the first time thing works great with 3/16” blade and takes up very little space.

-- Lifting one end of the plank.

View Jim Jakosh's profile

Jim Jakosh

#3 posted 09-03-2018 03:52 PM

Hi Jim, with you running a 3/16 blade all the time, you should look at that Carter ceramic guide- it just goes on the top and no bottom bearing/guide. I have friend who uses that exclusively and he makes band saw boxes and he says it really works good. I was doubtful when seeing it, but it works great!

cheers, Jim

#4 posted 09-03-2018 03:54 PM

I contacted Carter and was told they do not make guides for this saw.

View AZWoody's profile

AZWoody

#5 posted 09-06-2018 09:03 PM

It’s funny. A couple years ago I was in the Grizzly store in Springfield, MO and I was looking for a small bandsaw for cutting curves and I asked the person on the floor why Grizzly doesn’t make a 9 or 10 inch model. He said that it is the most requested item they always get. Not long later they added it to the catalog.

I’m glad to hear they have one that works well now. I might end up having to get one. I hope you can give some updates as to durability.

#6 posted 09-06-2018 09:34 PM

I had another of the original guide bearings clog up with sawdust, so I replaced it with a sealed bearing. This is to be expected. I had the same issue with my GO555 14” grizzly, saw years ago. I would like to have “Carter” guides but they do not make guides for this saw. Instead, I separated the side guide bearings a bit and the 3/16” blade then twists a slight amount and follows the curves I need very well. The tension is controlled by a spring so I cannot get the tension very high. I also rounded the back of this little blade to assist in making turns. Changing the bearings is kinda’ hard to do but I got it done.