Planer upgrade

Review by Jarrhead posted 08-31-2018 12:38 PM 1273 views 0 times favorited 6 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Planer upgrade Planer upgrade Planer upgrade Click the pictures to enlarge them

So, I upgraded the planer in the shop. Went from the old tried and true Jet JPM-13 Planer Moulder, to a Grizzly G0453W. I wanted a little larger capacity, and a higher horsepower motor. Found the planer, used, on Craigslist for $1000. It needed a little lovin’, but overall was in pretty good shape. Some surface rust, and a worn out set of blades. The G0453W is kind of a Grizzly anomaly. They apparently only manufactured it for a year or two, and it is now discontinued. I can’t find any references on what the differences are between the current G0453 and the G0453W, other than they upped the max feed rate from 20ft per minute to 30 ft per minute. I knew going into this swap that unless the new (used) machine came with a helical head, I was going to replace it with one. There are lots of reviews on LJs (including a couple by me) and elsewhere about the virtues of helical heads over straight knife cutter heads, so I won’t repeat that here. I ordered a Byrd Shelix head from Grizzly (they have the best online price). I also ordered two new bearings, and a replacement gasket for the gearbox. All in, I’m at about $1685.40 for the used machine. The similarly equipped G0453Z (with the Grizzly helical head) is $2370. So, I am about $685 ahead doing it the used way. Another upgrade I made to this planer was the addition of a Wixey WR550 digital planer readout. That is a really nice piece of gear, and reasonably priced on Amazon for about $68.00. Repeatably accurate to within .005. About the best I could hope for in a hobby woodshop. I mounted the readout right next to the hand wheel, so it is easy to see without having to bend over and strain my eyes like I had to when reading the old planer scales. So far, very impressed.

-- trn2wud

View Jarrhead's profile

Jarrhead

View kocgolf's profile

kocgolf

#1 posted 08-31-2018 05:17 PM

That is a really sweat setup. You will likely never want for more, and that is a great feeling. Congrats.

View Kaleb the Swede's profile

Kaleb the Swede

#2 posted 09-01-2018 01:17 AM

Now that its set up ill be over to borrow it for 20 years or so. Just kidding. Congrats!

-- Just trying to build something beautiful

View AlanJ44's profile

AlanJ44

#3 posted 09-01-2018 04:05 AM

That’s a pretty one

-- Alan J. Hoover, AL Keeping in mind I believe college football is only a profit center for the school.... Roll Tide!

View robscastle's profile (online now)

robscastle

#4 posted 09-02-2018 07:47 AM

Neat bit of kit there Jarhead,

a question:-
Picture 2: Do you have the plactic chip defelector that mising in the picture?
Otherwise I think Kaleb has got it down pat.

-- Regards Rob

View Jarrhead's profile

Jarrhead

#5 posted 09-02-2018 10:22 PM

Yeah the photo was taken prior to replacing the chip deflector, to make it easier to see the new cutterhead.

-- trn2wud

View farmercl's profile

farmercl

#6 posted 09-08-2018 12:30 AM

Jarrhead,

Regarding your G0453W planer, this may help clear up the question of the “W” in your model number.

I was (still am) saving for a 20” planer and wondered what the “W” represented on the G0454ZW. I contacted Grizzly in July ‘17 and received a response from a very helpful lady in customer service, here’s an excerpt from her response: “The “W” on the model number indicates the machine is manufactured in a different factory ….. The table thickness on the G0454Z is 1 ¼” and the table thickness on the G0454ZW is 2 3/8.” The takeaway for me is the “ZW” planer has more weight and significantly more metal in it.

Hope this helps and – Go Army! :)