Kerfmaker- ingenious tool

Review by wlhutch posted 01-13-2010 09:07 PM 7518 views 11 times favorited 17 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Kerfmaker- ingenious tool Kerfmaker- ingenious tool Kerfmaker- ingenious tool Click the pictures to enlarge them

I got this awhile back and since it was small I specifically placed it where I wouldn’t forget. Yea, right—you older folks know what happened. I finally stumbled upon it and will never decipher the irrational thought process I used to tuck it away. It’s sad when you amuse yourself in this manner. Anyway, about the Kerfmaker (disclaimer-no ties, connections or compensation and paid full price) However if the manufacturer feels inclined to toss me a bone, I’ll gladly pimp their tools.

This ingenious tool works great. You can see the result of my first attempt cutting a dado for a wall clock. The Kerfmaker sets the distance of the two side cuts of the dado. In this example I used a 1/4” box joint blade.

Setup is no more than measuring the kerf as cut by the blade of choice. This sets the distance of the orange bar from the edge of the tool. From there, set the black bar by the actual material.

Use the tool on the miter guage to cut both sides of the dado/groove and then you clean out the remaining material. It’s simple as that and the results were exceptional.

This is a well made tool that works exactly as stated.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#1 posted 01-13-2010 09:38 PM

Thanks for the review. If anyone is interested, there is a video demonstration of the tool available on this page – -

View mckenziedrums's profile

mckenziedrums

#2 posted 01-13-2010 11:15 PM

I’ve yet to use something by Bridge City that didn’t impress me. =) But you’re right… this is an absolutely wonderful tool.

View Schummie's profile

Schummie

#3 posted 01-14-2010 02:53 AM

Dear wlhutch,

Thank you for your review, it’s nice to hear how this beautifully tools works by you..
I have read a lot about this tool and it looks to me like a great tool.
I hope that I get one day the possibility to buy this little tool from Bridge City Tool Works.
Morphine is a great medicine, but it has so much side effects and I hope that I can
overcome one off this side effects with this tool.
I think and I hope that this tool can help me a little.

Thanks again for your review.

Schummie.

-- Greetings from the Netherlands.

View Bret's profile

Bret

#4 posted 01-14-2010 03:12 AM

I do love mine too! I also had meant to review it but there’s nothing I want to add to your review above. Nice job!

-- Woodworking is easy as 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510...

#5 posted 01-14-2010 04:07 PM

Schummie—

This is my first purchase of a Bridge City tool and it’s most likely their least expensive offering. I can well imagine that owning their other exceptional products would be addictive. However, I’d have to engage in criminal activities, forgo food and shelter to afford these tools;—-and then I’d be unwilling to actually use them!

Please note: You can accomplish the same level of accuracy with other tools and multiple testing. The beauty is in the dramatic simplification of the process. Getting the initial kerf setting correct is the key.

View richgreer's profile

richgreer

#6 posted 01-14-2010 04:31 PM

As an FYI for anyone who does not know this. There are several projects on this website where people built their own kerfmaker. I’ve looked at them and I don’t think it would be very hard to make my own kerfmaker. To find these projects just search the word “kerfmaker”.

View mckenziedrums's profile

mckenziedrums

#7 posted 01-14-2010 07:27 PM

Rich: It may look deceptively simple but getting this ease of use and building it by hand is a time intensive project. I remember the first one posted that was built from wood and it was beautifully crafted. John from BCT was kind enough to come here and rather than talk about the patent, etc he offered to send plans to anyone willing to make a donation to a charity. If you plan on making one I encourage you to do the right thing and go that route.

Personally I’d rather buy it and have the tool than spend the many hours it would take to build one… but I’m lazy like that sometimes ;)

#8 posted 01-14-2010 09:03 PM

richgreer,

BCTW developed an innovative idea into a quality product. It enables precise joinery in a marvelously effective manner. I like companies that bring forth quality tools and reward their hard efforts by purchasing their stuff—when I’m able. But, that’s just me.

View Kent Shepherd's profile

Kent Shepherd

2698 posts in 1940 days

#9 posted 01-15-2010 11:06 PM

I got mine, but haven’t had a chance to try it out. Good job on the review. I can’t wait to use mine.

-- She thought I hung the moon--now she just thinks I did it wrong

View jplhomes's profile

jplhomes

#10 posted 04-09-2010 08:50 AM

I had to make some lattice panels out of 2×2 and used this tool for lay out. I worked great and was easy to set up and use. i paid about 70.00 for mine

-- John

View AGE's profile

AGE

#11 posted 05-13-2010 09:58 AM

我如何購買我在台灣

View Rick's profile

Rick

#12 posted 01-24-2011 04:36 PM

I had never heard of a box joint blade. What makes it so special? Is it just the clean square corners it leaves?
The last TS blade I ordered that claimed to have a square kerf cut still left a little in the corners.

View MacVane's profile

MacVane

#13 posted 03-18-2011 04:05 AM

I received a kerfmaker today, order to delivery was two days. In ten minutes I made the best “nuts on” half lap joint of my life; on a Bosch portable table saw with the stock miter gauge. The quality of this tool is superb and the results perfect. It makes me very happy to be reminded once-in-a-while how innovative American company’s still produce goods that are vastly superior to anything else available.

View degoose's profile

degoose

7012 posts in 2009 days

#14 posted 04-14-2011 09:50 PM

Ordered mine last week… waiting for delivery… and it is still just over US$70 …. oh and add US$30 for shipping to Aussie.

-- Drink twice... and don't bother to cut... @ lazylarrywoodworks.com.au For lovers of all things timber...

View tyka's profile

tyka

#15 posted 04-19-2011 01:23 AM

To all LJ’s that are thinking of buying one, go for it. It’s hell to make all the small pieces. It took me more than 24 hours to make mine with T-tracks.

-- Paul, Plantagenet, Ontario