If I Was Only Allowed To Have One Hand Plane

Review by wrenchhead posted 08-23-2018 03:01 AM 1373 views 0 times favorited 8 comments Add to Favorites Watch
If I Was Only Allowed To Have One Hand Plane No-picture-s No-picture-s Click the pictures to enlarge them

This is my first plane review and I thought I would give you my thoughts on the Lie-Nielsen No 62 low angle jack plane. I made a video review if you are interested, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqRl94cANG8&t=289s

I purchased this plane about 2 months ago and have had the opportunity to use it on a couple projects now. I am very impressed with how many different tasks I can perform with just one plane. The low bed angle and bevel up plane iron gives you the ability to sharpen to different bevels to tackle several tasks. I purchased an extra iron with the plane and I keep one iron at the factory 25 degree bevel with no camber. This works great for end grain work like fitting a door to a case or to use as a shooting plane. It leaves a glassy smooth finish and slices through end grain very easily.

I sharpened the additional iron to 43 degrees and setting this on the 12 degree bed angle of the plane gives me a 55 degree cutting angle. This combined with the ability to adjust the toe of the plane and close the mouth up very tight has been giving me tear out free results in tiger maple even planing against the grain.

There is also a toothed iron that reduces tear out when taking heavy shavings and a 90 degree iron that will essentially turn the plane in to a scraper plane (I have not got to try these yet). Even with the two irons I have, the ability to create a new bevel angle on the bevel up iron and the adjustable mouth, this the most versatile plane I own

The only disadvantage of the plane is that I am so used to the bailey pattern plane and how easy it is to adjust the depth and lateral adjuster while making the cut, it took a while to get used to not having those features on this no 62. Tapping the iron with a mallet to adjust it side to side and having a small depth adjuster makes it a little more time consuming to get a nice even shaving. This is not a negative on the plane, just something I’m not used to yet and have to get better and faster at.

Like every other Lie-Nielsen tool I own, the plane came in perfect condition. The Iron was razor sharp. The sole was flat and sides were square to the sole. That being said, I have tried the Veritas and Wood River versions of this plane and would be very happy with one of them also. I think regardless of the brand, this is an excellent plane design and if I could only have one bench plane (I hope it never comes to that!!!), I would choose my Lie-Nielsen no 62.

-- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRuFxW8HhRfyhbTP4SY5UA I could quit if I wanted

View Dwain's profile

Dwain

#1 posted 08-23-2018 03:07 PM

Looks like a spammer, or whatever. I’m waiting for the first negative review of a LAJ. Nice review, thanks.

-- When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there is no end to what you CAN'T do

#2 posted 08-23-2018 11:26 PM

Dwain, Not sure how to respond. Thanks, I think for the nice review comment? I haven’t seen any bad reviews for low angle jack planes either. It felt like a pretty safe bet to purchase one based on everything I have read or watched about them including three different reviews from Lumberjocks. I also was able to try a couple different brands before I bought mine.

As for the “Spammer”. I’m sorry you feel that way. I have been visiting Lumberjocks since 2009 and comment if I have a question, know an answer, see something I like or have something to contribute. I read a lot but probably don’t comment as much as I could have. I like the format of this community. I enjoy the blogs, videos and reviews. I also enjoy looking through the projects but i don’t spend a lot of time on the forum section.This year, I felt like i had more to contribute so I started making some videos. Video making and editing has become almost as fun as the woodworking itself so it is a win win for me and I plan on continuing and sharing them here. Videos aren’t for everyone so I thought I would write out the review and add some pics. The review was fun to write so I hope to add some more in the future.

View Smitty_Cabinetshop's profile

Smitty_Cabinetshop

#3 posted 08-24-2018 12:26 AM

Dwain’s a jerk for that comment, plain and simple. Nice review, you put a great deal of thought and effort into it.

-- Don't anthropomorphize your handplanes. They hate it when you do that. -- OldTools Archive --

View bruc101's profile

bruc101

#4 posted 08-24-2018 12:43 AM

Nice review and thanks for sharing your video. I’ve been contemplating this plane for a while now and your video answered those questions for me.

-- Bruce Free Plans http://plans.sawmillvalley.org

View Rich07081's profile

Rich07081

#5 posted 08-24-2018 12:17 PM

I went to the Lie-Nielsen factory/store this week, for the first time. Their tools are fantastic!
I was given an early Christmas present of my choice. It was tough, torn between a #4, their block plane, and the #62. All works of art ! I chose a cast iron #4. I can’t wait to get home to try it. If anyone is near the mid-coast of Maine, check out the Lie-Nielsen operation, a great field trip!

Thank you for your review! I, now, know what my next plane will be.

View TheFridge's profile

TheFridge

#6 posted 08-24-2018 12:33 PM

If you prefer new. You can’t go wrong with LN.

-- Shooting down the walls of heartache. Bang bang. I am. The warrior.

#7 posted 08-24-2018 09:58 PM

Thanks all. I’m not sure my wife would ever let me near that factory store, Lol. I used to think there is no way they could be that much better than other tool makers then I tried a couple saws, chisels and planes at Highland Woodworking in Atlanta and I was hooked.

View erdr86's profile

erdr86

#8 posted 08-28-2018 11:56 AM

Thanks for your great review about One Hand Plane.

-- http://carrollbuildingsolutions.com/blog/