Great budget way to get into spraying finishes...

Review by mckenziedrums posted 01-11-2010 07:24 PM 6596 views 5 times favorited 25 comments Add to Favorites Watch
Great budget way to get into spraying finishes... Great budget way to get into spraying finishes... Great budget way to get into spraying finishes... Click the pictures to enlarge them

I live or die by my sprayed finishes. In fact, I often joke that I learned woodworking backwards… Long before I even knew what a rabbet cut was I could tell you how to spray a mirror smooth finish.

These days I see more and more folks looking into HVLP spraying systems but worried about spending the cash. This little gun goes on sale from time to time and can be had for $29-49 depending on what the price is that week at Harborfreight. I’ve had this in my arsenal for 2 years now and it’s just about time to replace it with another one. Since most of my finishes are water based the most I can expect is about a 2 year lifespan from this gun. If you check the prices of detail guns designed for waterborne finishes you’ll see that this is quite the bargain. There are all the essential adjustments on the gun… air pressure, spray pattern, flow control, etc. There’s a handy air pressure gauge on the gun as well to help you dial in the correct air cap pressure.

If you’ve got an air compressor around this is probably the most cost effective way to dip your toes into the HVLP finishing world. I included a picture of one of my drums I finished using this but pretty much every single wood drum on my personal website was finished using this gun for the top coat. The largest drum I’ve sprayed was a 26” diameter cylinder and it took quite a few passes but for anything smaller than that you can’t go wrong. (Great for the jewelry box I did, etc.)

It’s not often you’ll see me recommending a harbor freight product but this one has served me well.

View majeagle1's profile

majeagle1

#1 posted 01-11-2010 08:13 PM

Wow, thanks for the review…........... you are right, I never wanted to spend a lont of $$$ for trying out an HVLP, but this seems like just the ticket!

-- Gene, Majestic Eagle Woodworks, http://majesticeagleww.etsy.com/, http://www.flickr.com/photos/majesticeagle/

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#2 posted 01-11-2010 08:15 PM

What are the minimum compressor requirements?

-- Joe

View Jimi_C's profile

Jimi_C

507 posts in 1920 days

#3 posted 01-11-2010 08:47 PM

Rockler has their turbine HVLP on sale right now too, just in case people are looking. I ordered mine last night :)

View Tim Pletcher's profile

Tim Pletcher

#4 posted 01-11-2010 09:28 PM

I AGREE WITH THIS REVIEW! We use this exact gun for automotive painting and its a workhorse! We compared it to its $150 Napa counterpart and found that the HVLP gun offered by harbor freight is every bit as good!
Great gun, highly recommended!

-- http://plasticlumber.timpletcher.com/

View Tim Pletcher's profile

Tim Pletcher

#5 posted 01-11-2010 09:29 PM

Joe – you wont need a huge compressor for this gun, I think I used to control the air at 40 PSI at the gun. If your compressor is big enough to run an air nailer it’ll run this paint gun just fine!

-- http://plasticlumber.timpletcher.com/

#6 posted 01-11-2010 11:31 PM

I don’t recall the CFM off the top of my head but like Tim said, any compressor that can fire a nail gun will be fine. Obviously the larger storage capacity you have the less you have to listen to it running… I have a 26 gallon in my “shop” and I can do quite a bit of spraying before the compressor fires back up.

I’ve owned a few Devilbiss guns that weren’t the top of the line but were considerably more expensive than this and I ended up selling them off after picking this up on a whim. They have a combo pack and I’m tempted to try the larger gun but I just don’t spray big things that often.

View ajosephg's profile

ajosephg

#7 posted 01-11-2010 11:55 PM

Thanks – I’ve been thinking about a HVLP, but can’t afford a thousand dollar bill.

-- Joe

#8 posted 01-12-2010 12:51 AM

If you guys end up with any questions about getting into spraying the finishes with this one let me know… Though it’s kind of hard to explain when it’s really about finding what works for you.

I updated the review with a photo of a jewelry box I sprayed with this gun. For anyone that cares I used Emtech 9300 water based polycarbonate from Target Coatings

#9 posted 01-12-2010 03:03 AM

Thanks for the review. I think I’ve got that gun in the shop.

View cosmicturner's profile

cosmicturner

403 posts in 2081 days

#10 posted 01-12-2010 03:50 AM

Thanks for the great review I will keep my eye open for a sale now I want one and at the price of $50 or less why not

-- Cosmicturner

View flyingoak's profile

flyingoak

#11 posted 01-12-2010 04:04 AM

I have this gun and it works well. its is easy to use and easy to clean

-- where is the duct tape.....

View matt garcia's profile

matt garcia

#12 posted 01-16-2010 04:46 AM

I just got me a Porter Cable PSH1. I read somewhere online that it was made by DeVilbiss. All I know is it’s a great gun, and only $80.00!!

-- Matt Garcia Wannabe Period Furniture Maker, Houston TX

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

858 posts in 1980 days

#13 posted 03-31-2010 09:12 PM

I bought the gun back when this post started, but it has been hibernating until today. I had to paint some spindles with milk paint and after two attempts I had to take a chance at learning HLVP painting on the fly.

The final result is great, but I have to admit that there was no talent involved. I turned adjustments without any idea of what to expect and held a setting when some level of spray came out.

Instructions are really poor from the box. Can I get some advise on sequence of adjustments? Seems to be three; one on bottom of gun for airflow, one on rear of gun to move the needle in venturi and then one on side of gun that I don’t have any idea of purpose.

Milk paint (cypress green, water base) is pretty thick and I didn’t want to thin it due to need to return the remainder to the can. For first coat, spray was almost invisible and I needed to go over areas multiple times until seeing they were wet. For second coat, I turned the pressure up from 44 psi to 50 psi and got a visible spray.

Steve.

#14 posted 03-31-2010 11:12 PM

Wow… milk paint is pretty thick for a small detail gun for sure! I’d have to go eyeball mine again to see which adjustment is the flow but it sounds like you need to back the pressure down and increase the flow of fluid. A really good way to tune your gun is to just spray water against a box, spare board, etc. The side control is probably the fan adjustment btw… Play with the water spray until you get it where you want it then adjust as needed for various fluids.

Truth be told… spraying is something that is learned by trial and error and while you can “teach” it eventually it comes down to just getting a set up that works for you. Glad to hear your first experiment turned out well!

View SteveMI's profile

SteveMI

858 posts in 1980 days

#15 posted 04-01-2010 12:01 AM

Never thought about “reducing” the pressure. Will try that next time. Was still thinking about airbrush where you have to have enough air flow to pull the paint up.

Steve.